1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has your political or religious views ever been influenced by this forum?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Rebecca, Aug 29, 2010.

Has this forum influenced your political or religious views, even in a subtle way? Has your opinion been "in the middle" on an issue, and after reading a debate, find that you are much more opinionated to support one side or another? It's probably uncommon for anyone with strong views on any subject to completely change their mind from reading or interacting in this section. But, has interacting in P and R ever caused you to change your mind about any political or religious views you've previously held?

Rebecca, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I can't enjoy an ice cold Corona as much anymore, after reading northpointaiki's posts on beer. :D

My views towards Islam have grown far more negative since joining DP and participating in the P&R forums here. I used to believe more in the myth of moderate Islam; now I know better.

I have also grown more worried about conspiracy nuts due to my participation in the P&R forums. Those people can seem pretty normal when you first meet them and only slowly do you realize that they are thinking entirely differently from rational people. It makes me less trusting of people in general.

On the other hand, I have met some great people in the P&R forums and have been very impressed by young entrepreneurs across the globe. If there is hope for humanity, it is within these few extraordinary individuals.

Will.Spencer, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  3. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I never liked Corona, but you hit the nail on the head as far as the other three.

browntwn, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  4. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    There was a particular post in which he touched on a few of the evils in each major religion. It's as if I suddenly realized that even if the minuscule possibility of the existence of G-d were true, he/she would have to be a complete and total bastard.

I miss Northpointaiki...:)

Well, yeah. Over time my views have become more negative as well.

I can recall only one time when I was sincerely concerned about the psychology of a conspiracy theorist, but that was off DP. But, normally I enjoy conspiracy nuts, especially because they always have interesting stories. I guess I just view it as free entertainment.

Rebecca, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  5. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It influenced me that it made me think and ask questions and want to see scholars such as Zakir Naik and Eli Soriano debate. :D

etc, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  6. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who thinks Harvey Oswald killed JFK alone? (I just wonder where you draw the conspiracy line)

LeoSeo, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  7. sar420

sar420 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My views on Islam have grown more negative, especially after seeing posts by Wajid and company. I have also come to respect and value people who give reasonable arguments and links to buttress their points...I've also become addicted to the discussions in the P&R forum..much more than I ever was in the webmaster stuff at DP

I had a huge argument with a Pakistani guy on youtube...first under the comments of a video and then via messages. He said that India had planned the Mumbai attacks on itself so it could blame and malign Pakistan. When I pointed to him that even Pakistan's president had accepted the fact that the terrorists were trained and sent from Pakistan, he replied that his country's president had admitted so under Western pressure and that there is a chance he is a RAW agent (RAW is India's intelligence agency)...this is just one example...I've grown tired of conspiracy theorist nutters

sar420, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone, shot and killed John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

Will.Spencer, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  9. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, my English has improved specially with regards to usage of insults, profanity and sarcasm :p

Helvetii, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  10. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the line. ____

You are on the conspiracy nut side of it.

browntwn, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  11. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    Had very limited knowledge of Islam, consisting primarily of their phrase, an eye for an eye, learned early in life and was never very comfortable with. The honer killings mentioned on DP and the associated beliefs throughout their religion in justification of their beliefs are new revelations but already knew those three religions, Judaism - Christianity - Islam are all similarly falsehoods of the Crucifiers and the barriers to the true and simple path for remittance.

Breeze Wood, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  12. LeoSeo

LeoSeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

LeoSeo, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  13. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that my opinion of Islam has become more negative and everyone who says that it's a peaceful religion and a religion of tolerance is a lier to himself and everyone else.

Seqqa, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  14. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a great question, Rebecca. My views haven't changed at all because of DP P & R. The real information is out there in the real world, not in here where waves of hyper charged extremist political views dominate the perspectives.

I also miss NPT. I couldn't always follow his syntax but I miss his comments.

earlpearl, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  15. Darpie

Darpie Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm glad people have become more negative about religion, or at least one of them.

Darpie, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  16. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks EarlPearl, that's a good point.

Will!! Did you read the newspaper today? LOL, okay, I was bored... :)

[​IMG]

Rebecca, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  17. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Rebecca - a good question indeed :)

Personally, my overall view of Islam isn't more negative - but it is more cemented. I do now believe that is seems impossible for a person to be a Muslim and to be truly "moderate".

I think the real point this forum had the most impact on me was when thegr4 and cyb3rking completely lost their minds over my sexuality - as funny as that thread was, these two young kids/teens living in the UK, to see them them believe in various horrible things like child rape, domestic abuse, death to gays, to freedom and democracy, hating whites etc. - that pretty much removed any lingering doubt I had about Muslims and Islam.

On a side note I hope all is well with you :)

alexispetrov, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  18. Grimm

Grimm Peon

Best Answers:
    ^^ Nice question @ Rebecca

As for my religious views - no. Nothing has changed and my views are still the same for any other religion out there. The threads or posts here in the P&R are more of an eye opener and not a brainwasher. Religion is neither good nor bad - it is really up to the person who makes the difference (not to mention both the positive and negative image they are projecting).

and... it has been quite fun actually, getting to know other people's own perception on their own religion. Some are good while most are bad. ;)

Grimm, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  19. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You too. Check your email, I've sent you a money making method I would like your feedback on. :)

I'm not even sure how to define "moderate". Islam is Islam, right? One Quran. But, even in Islam there are a wide variety of beliefs and interpretations. I suppose the term "moderate" differentiates from an "extreme" Muslim which tends to be associated with terrorism. The fact that these terms are necessary, doesn't appear to speak highly of Islam. If something is good, usually some extremism is okay, as in being extremely wealthy, extreme in the pursuit of knowledge, or extremely happy? It seems extreme I think for anyone to support Sharia law in which adulterers are flogged or stoned, thieves have their hands cut off, homosexuals are executed. Therefore, any Muslim that supports Sharia law is an extremist? How can they deny Sharia law if it's based on the Quran? I'm wondering, then would they feel like they are not a good Muslim if they don't support these types of things? I'm kind of ranting, but it's something I am sincerely confused by, not as an intention to insult Muslims. I have met a few Muslims on DP that I sincerely believe are really good people.

Rebecca, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  20. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Rebecca: Great newspaper creation. LOL. I'm still wiping that tear away. hahah.

My problem w/ Islam is simply that the main forces in Islam encourage, enable, and at times sponsor Extremist fundamental terrorism. Nations, govts. etc simply allow fundamentalists to slaughter people without recourse. Iran sponsors Hezbollah.

The govts of Islam and most of the leadership simply allow it to flourish. Its like the West encouraging Hitler in his rise.

earlpearl, Aug 31, 2010 IP