1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need help on stopping people copying my content

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by deepman007, Aug 26, 2010.

Hi

I found one of my blog post on another website while searching for drinks in google images. What should I do?
    my blog post link: my post Copy post

deepman007, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Send them a DMCA notice and if that doesn't work send one to their webhost.

YMC, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  3. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you do not know what to expect from this guy, and since nothing is guaranteed in getting him to remove the article, don't jump the gun quite yet.

Thank him for noticing your article, and that he felt it has good info to share with his readers. Then tell him that he needed permission first. Add on to the fact that many webmasters have had their host service suspended because of copyright infringement, and that you don't want this to happen to him. Then tell him that you would be more than happy to let him keep the article on his site, if he provides credit and the url to your site.

Also, this may be a good way for you to get some work. He might, MIGHT want to buy future articles from you.

Yet another reason not to jump the gun, and to also be complimentary in the beginning.

If he doesn't reply back in a few days, THEN do what YMC has suggested.

Perry Rose, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  4. cyberlight

cyberlight Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a well thought out course of action...You may turn an initial negative into
    a positive...

Best Wishes

cyberlight, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice Perry. I've had to shoot off another DMCA this week over an article that has been stolen so many times that I've actually put three different copyright notices on the page. The last thief not only stole all the content and the pictures, she also posted all 3 copyright notices. Guess, this topic is a bit of a sore subject for me.

Their story would have to be pretty damn good for me to grant permission to repost with links. It's like telling a thief, yeah, I caught you stealing that purse from my store, but if you tell people where you got it from I won't prosecute.

YMC, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  6. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    much as it pains me to agree with the beer monster, yes, Perry's advice is on this occasion excellent.

It probably won't work, but it's worth the hassle, because if it DOES work, you could end up better of for it. And he's given you a template, basically, so you should be able to start the process in about 2 minutes.

contentboss, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  7. jerinjames

jerinjames Peon

Best Answers:
    The best course of action is to contact the person/site admin who copied your content and either ask them to remove it or give you some royalty or give you credit for the writing.
    I am not sure the web hosts can force them to remove content. That would be a very long process and you will have to actually establish that you did indeed write the content (i am not talking of who posted first).
    Good luck anyways.

jerinjames, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  8. devlar

devlar Peon

Best Answers:
    Perry has given nice advice :) I will also try that if in future someone try to steal my content !
    Thanks anyways :)

devlar, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  9. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Bang on Perry (calls for a beer), but I doubt whether the person concerned will take any action. Hopefully, Google should not index the pilfered article.

parsibagan, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  10. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    lol Good example!

Yeah, I know. But, believe it or not, there are a few who are clueless. They feel that it isn't a big deal to..."copy and paste." They don't think fully how we feel, as a writer, about it.

I know how you feel, and I know that most who copy and paste know it is basic theft, but sometimes you just never know.

And remember, it's not guaranteed that anything can be done to have the articles pulled from their site. So....

Also, another reason to try to work it out in the beginning is if they act like a jerk in their reply back to you, or they say that they will take it down but they don't, you can forward their reply to their host.

Perry Rose, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's a bit late now in this case but, whenever I write something that seems like good link bait or so useful that people might steal it, I always mention the site name and try to include a link or two to other pages of the site. Works wonders in establishing ownership when the piece has, "several of the articles on mysite.com also talk about ..." and the thief wasn't clever enough to remove the reference. The links often get dropped but a site name mentioned deep in the piece often doesn't.

Actually, if you have decent proof, the webhosts have to act under DMCA. Once notified, if they do nothing, they become liable. The webhosts I've dealt with have been very responsive and quickly removed the offending content.

My favorite thieves are the ones who post on their site, "If you know of any copyrighted material appearing on this site, please let me know and I'll remove it immediately." It's like they're saying, "Yeah I stole everything here but nanny, nanny, boo, boo, you've gotta catch me first."

YMC, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  12. deepman007

deepman007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I sent a note through their contact page and now i just have to wait for their reply. I'm wondering why they want to copy a post that's not even well written.

deepman007, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  13. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt that, he should be using a bot to copy content from the web and if he ever was interested to pay for it, he wouldn't have to copy it.

omarabid, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  14. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Because I am going by past experience, Omarabid, and what I hear from other writers in our tight little chat group, along with pros, like Carol Tice http://www.makealivingwriting.com/ and Linda Formichelli http://www.therenegadewriter.com/

You would think not, but some folks are a funny lot. Many do, in fact, land up buying articles afterwards.

Though, in all fairness (to keep this subject real, and not filled with ponies and rainbows), this doesn't happen a lot, heh heh

And, even stranger, again, some just don't think what they are ACTUALLY doing. And yes, while most DO know.

Sometimes writing on the Web can be a bitch. We all have to get use to it.

I'm still chuckling at that one. Can I steal, er, I mean, use that one in a future article? heh heh heh

Perry Rose, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  15. mediology

mediology Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have had to deal with copyright infringement on several occasions. It is a pain in the butt to say the least.
    I suggest calling the person if there is a contact phone number or check the domains whois. This has worked the best and worst for me.
    The last instance someone copied verbatim a very long buyers guide which I provide to my customers. The buyers guide actually had images of some of our custom projects which he did not remove. When I called him I was polite and asked that he simply credit me and my company as the source with a link to my site. He was clueless and actually told me that I couldn't prove it was mine. The conversation didn't go so well but in the end he realized he was an idiot (or at least I did) and he removed it.

In most other cases the webmaster, "girl in the office", husband/wife, designer gets blamed and the article is removed.

And don't be surprised if a similar article appears on their site in a few days/weeks.

Gl

mediology, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad you liked my analogy. I've always thought it ridiculous for someone who finds that someone else stole their work that if the thief provides a backlink it somehow makes it OK. That said, if you'd like to quote me in that article, a link would be nice. :p:rolleyes:

YMC, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  17. csreference

csreference Member

Best Answers:
    Put copyscape icon on your website, that would scare most of the copy cats. Also it should be ok with you if they provided a track back to your blog.

csreference, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If people steal an article with a very specific copyright notice and actually publish that notice, do you really think they give a care in the world about an icon?

YMC, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  19. prowriting

prowriting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    When I had a website I protected it with a no copy script. It worked well. There is free java code that can help with this

prowriting, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  20. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    even a little technical ability will defeat any javascript based 'protection'.

contentboss, Aug 30, 2010 IP