1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Picking a Niche for a Mega Adsense Money Churning Website

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Chris Munch, Aug 25, 2010.

My personal experience with getting a sustainable long term and high eCPM from Adsense is by building big sites that attract the right audience.

An audience that is willing to buy something, because when they want to buy something they click more ads, and the advertisers pay more because they are making more money from sales.

Here's some quick tips for picking a niche for a mega site...

Stop thinking keywords and start thinking about an audience and demographic.​

An audience/demographic represents a niche, not the keywords.

A niche is made up of millions of keywords, so keyword analysis can only ever give you a very small window of a niche anyway as analyzing large numbers of keywords can become cumbersome, bear that in mind when doing keyword research.

Sure knowing profitable keywords, and low competition keywords is handy, but when it comes to making a big website you'll be covering thousands of keywords.

If you want to build a site that gets a regular following, and is a profitable niche then you have to think outside of just keywords...

Read magazines, journals, TV shows, blogs, forums, social groups (e.g Yahoo groups, myspace groups, facebook groups) etc. etc. related to your niche to learn about it.

* How much traffic or audience size to these publications have?
    * What are the readers most interested in?
    * What products do people buy in this niche?
    * Is it complex subject?
    * How big are the online groups?
    * Who's the competition and what do they do?
    * Who are the influential people?
    * etc etc

These are the sort of questions to be thinking about.

Keyword research is less than 5-10% of niche research in my opinion when you build a real valuable site, but so many 'gurus' make it sound like that is all there is to it.

Your audience is what matters. Who are they, what do they do, what subjects interest them, what do they buy etc. etc.

Keyword research is simply a way to:

* analyze their searching habits
    * crunch some rough numbers to give one indication of potential audience size
    * use PPC stats to place rough values on advertising interest
    * give clues on sub-topics that interest them
    * roughly analyze potential competition in Google
    * etc. etc.

What is important to remember is that keyword research can only tell you so much. Be aware of what it can and can't tell you and that researching a niche is a whole lot more than just keyword research.

Of course if you are making mini sites then it is a different story, but if you are the sort of person that likes to have one or two big sites that attract 6 figure traffic then this is how I have found it is best to approach niche research.

Chris Munch, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  2. Outlaw_Racing

Outlaw_Racing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this, lot's to think about.

Outlaw_Racing, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  3. the wizz

the wizz Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow this is interesting because everything I have ever read always says to build a site around several keywords. What you are proposing makes way more sense to me. And yep I would like to build a website that gets a lot of traffic. Just thinking of ideas at the moment about what niche.

the wizz, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  4. vivek.im

vivek.im Peon

Best Answers:
    This actually makes sense. Nice plan if you you're going to make a Good site and on a long term basis.

vivek.im, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I like this tip because it is a fresh look at how to go about finding a niche.

JamesColin, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  6. dearali

dearali Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks fentastic article

dearali, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  7. Iellis

Iellis Peon

Best Answers:
    Is Adsense a better option than CPA for monetizing a Content.

Iellis, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  8. jleone

jleone Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a lot more experience with CPA than adsense, but I would assume it depends on the type of niche and how you get your traffic. The best way would be browse a cpa directory like offervault and see if anything fits your niche that converts well and compare that to the average CPC of your adsense clicks to determine whats best.

jleone, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  9. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the niche, but here's a few things to consider.

1. You can use both so no need to just pick one.

2. Adsense will match the ads to the content on almost any page, so its a good way to monetize a lot of pages of content very quickly.

3. CPA offers can be exceptionally lucrative, but only if it is what the user is looking for. You can't just throw up a CPA banner like you can with Adsense, you would need to make sure it is well targeted to the page. In addition it would not work well in banner form, but better as a link within content (study pre-selling for more info on why).

Chris Munch, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  10. techfever

techfever Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it is better to master in one topic rather then picking on more topics to write content it will allow some serious regular visitors to the website and non technical traffic that is the people unaware of google adsense ads should be attracted

techfever, Sep 30, 2010 IP
  11. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very true. If you start out writing about something daily you quickly become very experienced in that topic and can provide a lot more value than if you jumped around a lot of topics. Generally I have found that people that specialize in one, or a very small number of topics, tend to do a lot better.

Chris Munch, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  12. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    Adsense = 'chump change'. Monetize it with almost ANYTHING else.

contentboss, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  13. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends on the niche, but I certainly find Adsense an overall good earner. It doesn't match up to affiliate revenue for me, but its still pretty good and is better than a lot out there. It is of course suited to larger sites with lots of traffic and pages.

Chris Munch, Oct 7, 2010 IP