1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Age and it's effect on Rankings (my personal Theory)

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by coopersPick, Aug 26, 2010.

So I have always heard that the one thing you can not affect in SEO is time. So a site that is 7 months old will have a very hard time out ranking for a competitive term against a site that is 6 years old.

So my theory is that age may matter but only a tad bit (matt cutts has never spoken on the youtube blog about this so somebody should ask).
    Link building should be a slow and steady process and an aged website has had time to build and age their links where a new site can catch up but building a lot of quality links takes time and thus that may be why age is seen as a factor and if a new site got all those links right away they may be penalized.

thoughts?

coopersPick, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  2. webbuilder71

webbuilder71 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Age can be pretty important, but building quality links can over-throw the "AGE" factor. I don't think age matters as much as people think, you just need to have enough links.

webbuilder71, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  3. Migueliscool

Migueliscool Peon

Best Answers:
    I think age matters a lot. Well thats my thought since I've seen sites with lower pr and a little less optimized for a keyword that outrank those which are optimized solely for that reason.

Migueliscool, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  4. belgian

belgian Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think age is a major factor in determining rankings.

Age is an important factor in how aggressive you can build backlinks without being flagged by the SE as a link spammer.

belgian, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. coopersPick

coopersPick Active Member

Best Answers:
    having a site that is a year old and 80,000 links is that okay>?

coopersPick, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  6. Enabulele

Enabulele Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's more than okay! Keep on building and make sure some of them a nofollow links. :)

Enabulele, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  7. FavouritesBlog

FavouritesBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Natural link building is always best, google does know how many links you gain in a period - if its too many to be natural your url is flagged for artificial backlinking.

FavouritesBlog, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  8. sonicmayhem

sonicmayhem Member

Best Answers:
    sonicmayhem, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  9. more_sem

more_sem Peon

Best Answers:
    There are certain limitations, Google likes a site .. in fact loves a site when the site provides Google with one in-link everyday. Maybe its called machine faith, but yes age does matter when competition is considered. Patience is the key to achievement.

more_sem, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  10. bjamin1

bjamin1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not so much age as in time, but in trust. Trust rank comes over time form all your SEO efforts.

bjamin1, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  11. Tamcake

Tamcake Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have ranked websites on the first page within the first week or two of starting it up. I agree with Belgian with what he said. With an aged domain there is less chance of being flagged by google but i believe there is essentially no effect.

Tamcake, Aug 27, 2010 IP