1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Canonical Issue

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by 7dzine, Aug 22, 2010.

Can any one help me, how to generate code for canonical error.

7dzine, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  2. zozoclip

zozoclip Peon

Best Answers:
    hey, what language you use? i can't help if you post like that.

zozoclip, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  3. 7dzine

7dzine Active Member

Best Answers:
    What is the problem with my language,,,,, i simply asked how to remove canonical error?? But i think your English is weak, you need to work hard on your language.

7dzine, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  4. learner4ever

learner4ever Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi could you tell more about your canonical issue like you are having the same in internal pages (something like dynamically generated pages with similar content) or you are talking about canonical problem with the non www version of website with www version or is there anything else?

learner4ever, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  5. lanclip

lanclip Peon

Best Answers:
    Canonical URL's - Brief outline of .htaccess first

This is the special file that sets up the deal for you. It can contain all sorts of directives for the Apache server. If you’re not using an Apache-based server, you’ll have to read your server’s manual on how to do it.

Look in your root directory, the place where your homepage is, for this file (.htaccess). If it's not there don't fret, you can just create it afresh and it won't make any difference. When doing so, just make an empty text file in Notepad or whatever, and make sure you start the filename with a dot — it's vital. This means that it is no longer a text file — the file suffix will be .htaccess, so it doesn't have a filename of its own.

What the heck is a canonical URL?

I didn’t know what a canonical URL was at first either, so don’t worry if you don’t know.

Canonical essentially means “standard” or “authoritative”, so a canonical URL for search engine marketing purposes is the URL you want people to see. Depending on how your web site was programmed or how your tracking URLs are setup for marketing campaign, there may be more than one URL for a particular web page.

The problem most search engine marketers run into deals with domains. Sometimes if a domain is not setup properly, the domain URL (domain.com) and the www domain URL (www.domain.com) are considered individual web pages. Since both pages maybe indexed by Google - you could get hit for duplicate content and at the very least you would be splitting your link popularity.

The easiest way to protect your site is to redirect all forms of your domain to one “standard” URL - a canonical URL.

For example to force the use of www.video4shared.com instead of using tareeinternet.com, or http://video4shared.com I have these lines in my .htaccess file. (This is Apache specific, if you use IIS the lines should be the same using ISAPI filter)

Quote:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^video4shared\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.video4shared.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    The first line “RewriteEngine On” tells Apache to enable Mod_rewrite - the engine responsible for manipulating URLs.

The second line “RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^video4shared\.com$ [NC]” looks for when people access video4shared.com. The “[NC]” flag makes the test case-insensitive, so it catches URLs like video4shared.com.

The third line “RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.video4shared.com/$1 [R=301,L]” redirects video4shared.com to www.video4shared.com with a 301 redirect.

The problem lies in how Google views each of these urls. Even though DNS typically points the two urls to the same website, Google will consider the two urls as seperate sites without a 301.

This will "split" your pagerank, so if 50 people link to the http://domain.com version, and another 50 link to www.domain.com Google wont see your website as having 100 backlinks and awarding the value of 100 backlinks to the 1 URL. So you will most likely end up having a PR2 on each version, were you may of obtained a PR4 on the 1 link.

Happy rewriting (copy to share)

lanclip, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  6. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by canonical error?

If a website page "points" to another page using canonical... then it's usually not (but can be) an error in website.

Can you give an example, possible with website/page URLs?

websitetools, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  7. 7dzine

7dzine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am talking about non www version of website with www version.

7dzine, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  8. 7dzine

7dzine Active Member

Best Answers:

Canonical error means non www version of website with www version. For example, some websites opens with both as www as well as without www.

7dzine, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  9. seo Shruti

seo Shruti Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Simply do a 301 redirect the version to preferred version like www to non-www or non-www to www.

seo Shruti, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  10. 7dzine

7dzine Active Member

Best Answers:
    7dzine, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  11. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    catanich, Aug 30, 2010 IP