1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If you believe morality is handed down by god.....

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by stOx, Aug 19, 2010.

1. it career

it career Notable Member

Best Answers:
    WTF is morality? if we can live without God, we can also live without morality.

it career, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  2. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    THAT say a lot!

Helvetii, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  3. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But we don't, and we wouldn't if it were proven that god doesn't exist.

So if you think god is responsible for morality and it were proven to you that god doesn't exist how would that effect the way you behave?

It's quite a simple question. A more cynical person would think your reluctance to answer is a result of the weakness of your position.

stOx, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  4. Grimm

Grimm Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't call on God or they might even doubt that you really are an Atheist. :p lol

And you don't have to go all religious just to have morals, because I don't believe God has implemented, handed down or constructed them to me. :) I was taught was what Good and Bad as a kid and learnt to choose which is which as I grew up.

Grimm, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  5. Toopac

Toopac Peon

Best Answers:
    So if you found out there was 'no god' then by omission you would no longer have the fear of god in you and lose all morality?

Religion does have an important role it keeps some immoral people in line at least.

Toopac, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  6. eric8476

eric8476 Active Member

Best Answers:
    people learn to not do this or not do that when growing up from society, role models, school,

religion, media, etc. Religion is part of the learning experience of morality but

that doesn't mean people that don't grow up with religion have no morals.

Also learning these things continue throughout life.

eric8476, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  7. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:

it career, you are way, way out of line here.

Bad enough that this shyte is absolutely false, it is without doubt one of the most degrading thing you can accuse a young woman of.

This woman you seem to think to know, is without doubt, one of the most ethical, loyal and courageous person I know.

Retract your words.

atreides, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Wow, it sounds like your madrasah is a happenin' party place!

Will.Spencer, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  9. Grimm

Grimm Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep. I guess this is how religious people speak about their morality. lol May God bless him. :D

Grimm, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  10. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Atreides.

Given the fact that you actually know we me very well, better by the day, and it career knows nothing more of me than my distaste for his lies, BS and refusal to acknowledge facts if they don't serve his propaganda, I enjoyed the post.

I wonder if given the disgust most of us clearly feel for an individual who claims (effectively) he'd commit all sorts of atrocities without a god to believe in, it career may have run off?

We can only hope.

PS - I'll email you shortly, I'm about to eat some of spring rolls :)

alexispetrov, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  11. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Morality pre-dates monotheistic religions. Archaeology and history shows us this.

/thread.

BRUm, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  12. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

Law as partial morality anyway - If you believed in God you would know the lack of morality is why we are here.

Morality is to living everlastingly the atheist have abandoned.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    Breeze Wood, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  13. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its all up to you actually.
    but you might just think twice before raping or murdering anyone because there is still law even if god don't exist.

so think good whether its sensible to believe there is God or whether it is sensible to believe there is no God.

etc, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  14. Mentalhead

Mentalhead Active Member

Best Answers:
    I saw this quote in best atheism quotes thread so forgive me for posting it again, but it explains my point of view perfectly.

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Morality comes from you within, and it's the only way to be honest with yourself or with god.
    If you're restraining yourself just because of fear or reward and you don't feel that way a bit, that's somewhat a good thing for you, but again, you're just a hypocrite.

As a born Christian I used to think until few months ago, that all morality comes from god, and if there's no god that wouldn't be any morality in this world. Since morality is so relative, I've concluded that Nietzsche was right with his famous quote:

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."

God (morality) is dead and without it "morality" won't be the same but for the first time it falls up to you and your common sense to decide what's good and wrong for you.
    I still have some Christian morals left, because I somewhat believe in them, but if I'm atheist (or agnostic) that doesn't mean that I'll go around killing, raping, stealing and sodomizing because I'm not bounded by God and Christian morality.
    I could, but I have some common sense in me left.

God and religion might be useful for you if you want to develop some moral values in early stages in your life, but soon after that you're going to realize some things and you'll have to make choices for you. Without god, it all falls to your common sense and you can't hide behind it anymore. Will you be able to live ethical life without god? Maybe, maybe not, but in the end it all depends on the person and on person's common sense.

Mentalhead, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  15. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Not me, I'm just here for the cold beer and warm nachos.

Will.Spencer, Aug 24, 2010 IP