1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Recommended CDN's?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by AzzidReign, Aug 17, 2010.

Seems this is the new craze and people are saying how much faster it makes the sites load and how much load it takes off their servers. If you have used CDN's, where do you recommend?

I used the search and it seems like people were asking about it roughly a half year ago with barely any response. If you don't know what CDN's are, wiki/google it and please don't respond to this thread. I know more and more people are using them so hopefully this time we can get answers from people :)

AzzidReign, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  2. mellow-h

mellow-h Peon

Best Answers:
    I have personally used the Softlayer's CDN. It is not full featured yet, it should include couple of more uploading options like upload using API, though it is worthy to give a try.

mellow-h, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  3. QualityHost

QualityHost Member

Best Answers:
    Some Data Centers such as SoftLayer provide their own CDN which will make it easier to manage. Akamai is probably the biggest CDN but they are expensive.

QualityHost, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  4. Pipert

Pipert Peon

Best Answers:
    Akamai is quite expensive but they have a quality network. Amazon providers CloudFront which is a CDN.

Pipert, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  5. AzzidReign

AzzidReign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What do you guys think about maxcdn.com?

AzzidReign, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  6. remember123

remember123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Best one in the industry is Akamai ..( kinda costly and difficult to buy directly unless you are big ),
    I use MAXCDN , it's ok..go with them if your website visitors are mainly from US, they don't have any nodes in ASIA, and only 2 locations is EU ( NL and DE )..

remember123, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  7. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just went through a slew of CDN testing for my forums which serves nearly 25 million monthly page views. I considered CDN's to be a cheap solution for my images, css, and js serving needs.

My first experiment was Amazon CloudFront service. It works. It's a bit quircky to setup but it works well when it is. However they charge a per request fee. Once I calculated monthly costs for me it was more expensive than Akamai. I server many very small files per page including about 5 JS and CSS per page. So that was out.

Next I opened up an account with VPS.net as they resold Highwinds at about 5 cents a GB. It was unreliable and I had VPS.net change my balance from HWCDN to Akamai (15 cents per GB).

As of now I have not tested Akamai but one thing for sure. Not easy to setup. I'll get to it eventually so I can do a full review for everyone.

I did setup a MaxCDN account and I must say...it's my favorite so far. They have a great intro rate of 1GB for $40. Since I server many small files this is about 10 months CDN for me. It's half their normal rate of 9.9 cents per GB which is very reasonable.

Max CDN offers both push and pull zones. I had some issues with one push zone and content that was cached but overall good. I have 2 pull zones both working perfectly without any user complaints. The MaxCDN interface is easy to navigate and very intuitive. One thing is that admincp for maxcdn doesn't work in anything but Firefox...not even in IE. I reported this but they seemingly don't care. Not a big deal. I just open up Firefox instead of my normal Opera to access the CP.

For me personally prices for CDN are very reasonable in comparison to serving the content from my own servers which I'd not only have to pay for but manage and secure as well. CDN are scalable too. So once you have the account you just pay for it and if you're site get 10x bigger you should not have to do a single thing beyond paying the balance.

Oh one other thing. MaxCDN supports compression (gzip) of CSS ad JS files without any problems. Saves you a ton of bandwidth. I'm fairly certainly most others support compression but Amazon does not appear to. Make sure if you're using the CDN to serve content that can be compressed that the CDN supports it.

RectangleMan, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  8. Falter

Falter Member

Best Answers:
    Which CDN is good if you are serving mostly international users?

Falter, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  9. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    RectangleMan, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  10. coolfriend

coolfriend Peon

Best Answers:
    I used a CDN yesterday - its MAX CDN - very cheap - 1000GB for 35$ - and see now my site has a yslow score of grade 'A'. :)

coolfriend, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  11. AzzidReign

AzzidReign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, I've gone with MaxCDN and haven't had a problem with them yet so I'm quite happy (especially since they are much more affordable than most of the other sites I've looked at).

AzzidReign, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  12. jeffatrackaid

jeffatrackaid Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have used SoftLayer, Voxel, Rackspace, Internap and a few others. All work well depending on your needs. I've also used various cloud services in conjunction with dedicated servers. Depending on your visitor's locations, this can work well. For example, I spun up 3 lighttpd servers for serving up static content. They gave me 2000GB/mo each and performance was good.

When looking for a CDN consider:

- Location of Nodes
    - Cache update methods
    - Storage methods

I like systems that use origin pull. With origin pull, you put all of your content on one or more source servers. This makes it easy to backup your content but still get the benefits of the CDN. Often, I setup a special domain that simply points to the main web server. This way you can avoid extra strorage fees.

jeffatrackaid, Sep 3, 2010 IP