1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to become a Logo Designer ?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by hansab, Aug 20, 2010.

I do have basic knowledge of illustrator (very basic) and intermediate on Photoshop, but i want to know the technical stuff about the logo designing.

Like for printing, business card, vector etc. Whatever.

Please guide me what do i learn to become a good logo designer. Dont worry about the creativity, i am creative, i do have ideas in my mind. I do use pencil for sketching the logo on paper, but how do i become a logo designer. so i can make the imagination into reality.

Help please

hansab, Aug 20, 2010 IP
    kmamaji likes this.
  2. kmamaji

kmamaji Peon

Best Answers:
    All you need to do is Google your queries you'll get plenty of websites they are teaching free of cost. Lots of video + text with screenshot tutorial you'll get there. Hope now you got it. :)

kmamaji, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  3. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    Main points to remember with logo design:

Vectors vectors vectors - a logo that can't be resized is useless
    Generally for print work you need to be working at at least 300dpi
    For business cards you need to use the proper dimensions and bleed lines. I saw a good tutorial on setting this up the other day but can't find the link now, sorry, I'm sure Google will have more
    Make sure the logo works in black and white, as well as colour
    Avoid anything overly intricate if it's going to be used for anything other than a website header, since the fine detail can be lost when it's resized for, say, a business card
    Get better at Illustrator - follow all the tutorials you can find time for on Vectortuts+

Probably more things I can't figure out off the top of my head.

kiramanic, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  4. In a New Light Designs

In a New Light Designs Peon

Best Answers:
    Kiramanic had great advice. I worked in a sign company for a good while and nothing bugged me more than to have a customer come in with a jpeg logo for us to put on a 4ft x 8ft sign. And what was even worse is when they had HIRED someone to create that jpeg that didn't know enough to design in vector format. Like he said... vectors are essential!

In a New Light Designs, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  5. nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers Active Member

Best Answers:
    The easy way to become a logo designer is to buy some logo designing programs. These programs creat unique and web 2.0 logos. I forgot the name of the software it was developed by laughing bird software I guess.

nightcrawlers, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  6. Virtual-Assistant

Virtual-Assistant Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Learn your fonts and your colour schemes, look at as many logos as you can and try and discover what it is about them that makes it great.
    You'll also need to learn to use a vector graphics program like Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw or Inkscape, which is freeware.

Good point!

Virtual-Assistant, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  7. Oxyden

Oxyden Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree fully with Kiramanic. You should know that a logo is best when it does not copy another thing. You can really start logo designing how ever you want. I personally started by doing free work and then moving on to paid when people decided they liked my work. Its a process many designers now take.-

Oxyden, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  8. Aurelian Design

Aurelian Design Peon

Best Answers:
    These are all great suggestions, but I would also recommend taking a class specifically in logo design.
    Find one that teaches you about a defined creative process and is very hands-on and practical.
    There's nothing like doing, and being judged by a quality teacher, and also by fellow students.

Aurelian Design, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  9. darapmonsta

darapmonsta Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You have to get knowledge of Photoshop, Gimp and other useful softwares for designing. one thing you have to keep in mind is you have to do it best in 1 shot. And put creatively the name of the company for which you are making logo for.

darapmonsta, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  10. kasuwa1235

kasuwa1235 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    learn photoshop you can be a good logo designer

kasuwa1235, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  11. more_sem

more_sem Peon

Best Answers:
    As said earlier, you need to understand vectors first. And practice is the most important part because only through practice would you be able to achieve faster designing which is crucial for accomplishing many designing tasks in the shortest period.

more_sem, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  12. idreams

idreams Peon

Best Answers:
    just understand vectors and keep on practicing.. you have tons of free videos in google

idreams, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  13. poweraries

poweraries Member

Best Answers:
    try with corel draw

poweraries, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  14. nikfrezero

nikfrezero Member

Best Answers:
    corel and adobe will always in war. )) You must know vectors and postprocessing. For logos you can know only vectors. "a logo that can't be resized is useless" -kiramanic is right

nikfrezero, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  15. Soner

Soner Active Member

Best Answers:
    A tipp from me : Learn vector programs. Search some logo portfolios from portfolio websites. Read a lot about colours and modern design. Start in this direction.

Soner, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  16. applegarden

applegarden Peon

Best Answers:
    Logo designers often agonize over the creation of a defining symbol for each of their clients. A logo designer needs to look at symbols of competing companies as well as past client logos to generate a unique logo. You need to be aware of the challenges of creating an original logo before you become a logo designer.

1.Hunt for a university program in graphic design that will allow you to flourish early in your career. Schools with thriving graphic design programs often offer a plethora of entry-level design opportunities after graduation.

2.Increase your knowledge of modern art history with elective courses at the undergraduate level. Art-history courses that focus on pop art and the altered use of logos for various messages can help you see the shelf life of logo designs.

3.Attain certifications in your preferred design software to increase your chances of landing a job as a logo designer. You can become an expert in design programs through night courses at a local technical college. Doing so may help to increase your marketability.

4.Seek jobs in typesetting and print production after graduation, and get firsthand experience with logo design. These positions can help you pay rent and give you insight into the importance of sizing, formatting and color.

5.Learn the importance of branding when you become an entry-level designer with an advertising agency. These positions offer the opportunity to develop publications and advertisements to match the tone and color of a company logo.

6.Compile a list of design firms that have reputations for exemplary logo design. This list should become your contact sheet during the job search as well as a driving force for completing freelance work in an exemplary fashion.

7.Subscribe to publications and list servers that focus on graphic design, and increase your knowledge of logo design. You can read magazines, newsletters and emails at your leisure to stay attuned to changes in the graphic-design industry.

applegarden, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  17. logoonlinepros

logoonlinepros Member

Best Answers:
    If you really want to be a good logo designer you have a good skills on photoshop,flash and illustrator this software are basic tool of logo design.There are also many Pdf learning books available on site which give you better training on it.Search video on youtube related to learn photoshop or illustrator.

logoonlinepros, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  18. love**

love** Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to learn adobe Photoshop 7.
    Thats really help you to become a good
    designer.And helps you to make money
    easily.

love**, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  19. hendermon

hendermon Member

Best Answers:
    Don´t forget that logo design is about converting a concept into its visual representation. To know what to represent requires you to figure out your customer´s business nature. Then you have the creative part of the job, which is to find a suitable, simple, visually pleasant and unique graphical representation. Finally, you use a graphical tool (pencil, software) to create the actual artwork.

hendermon, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  20. thomas.walk

thomas.walk Peon

Best Answers:
    Dear,

thats really good that u r creative but you should know the technical aspects as well and you should be sound enough in corel draw , so learn corel draw completely or whatever you learn learn it completely as half knowledge is dangerous, and also work on manuplation you will really improve in this way.do more and more practise.

thanks

thomas.walk, Sep 7, 2010 IP