1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 large sitemap or more than 1 small sitemap

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by troutfly, Jul 15, 2010.

I have a large site when i build a sitemap it is around 100000 urls.

Would it be better to submit 1 large sitemap or to build a sitemap based on category hence splitting the sitemap into smaller chunks.

Like a sitemap for the computer category, another for audio products, 1 for television etc etc

Thanks for your help

troutfly, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  2. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While 100000 URLs is not a problem with e.g. A1 Sitemap Generator, you may still benefit from smaller sitemaps (linking them yourself in a sitemap index file) since they are easier/quicker to update. Usually only something I recommend for websites even larger than yours though. Anyways, in the end, your choice depends on your website and sitemap solution!

websitetools, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  3. ezestseo

ezestseo Peon

Best Answers:
    i have also faced the same problem...some sitemap generator are restricted to only 500 urls...so i manually created 1 sitemap including all urls....

ezestseo, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  4. Mindcracking

Mindcracking Peon

Best Answers:
    Big is GOOD, also small can be good. Try out yourself which one will do the best.

Mindcracking, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  5. webrickco

webrickco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google accepts sitemaps with up to 50000 links or 10mb data (can be compressed data). By reaching those amounts you will have to split into several sitemaps. Read Google webmaster's guidelines for more information.

webrickco, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  6. edfranklin

edfranklin Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitemap protocol tells "Each Sitemap file that you provide must have no more than 50,000 URLs and must be no larger than 10MB (10,485,760 bytes). " If You have more that 50,000 urls then divide it in to multiple sitemap files after that list each Sitemap file in a Sitemap index file.

edfranklin, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  7. seoget

seoget Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi There,

I think both are good but if you can have both in your website then good.. and submit all in the google web master tools so it can be help to add - index all pages fast in the google and also you can categrise all pages as per your need and as per your seo plans ...

If you have any questions then please ask me...

seoget, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  8. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understood the OP question as if he should split his website scan / sitemap generation depending on category, e.g:
    day 1 create sitemap of category 1,
    day 2 create sitemap of category 2
    etc.

(But yes, under all circumstances, the sitemaps will be split since OP's website is above 50k URLs.)

websitetools, Aug 26, 2010 IP