1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how effective are google sitemaps?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by chinesechess, Aug 13, 2010.

I'm starting up my site and I was wondering how effective are Google sitemaps feature. I tend to upload the file via the Google Webmasters tool, but I really can't tell how effectual it is. Also, is there a way to enhance the sitemap to better optimize the site?

Thanks.

chinesechess, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  2. Salty Crackers

Salty Crackers Peon

Best Answers:
    This effective

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
    Salty Crackers, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  3. Traechia

Traechia Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW. Guess I'll start doing this then.

Traechia, Aug 14, 2010 IP
  4. webrickco

webrickco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Xml Sitemap is not effective to gain traffic! So,there is not point to try to show a connection between the number of URLs in a sitemap and Alexa traffic report (most of all if it is from Alexa!). It's only a tool to help Search Engine to reach for your URLs in order to index them. It just helps the process of crawling the site. Nothing more. You will also have to be patient. Google takes time to index the URL they think are relevant to them, and they won't index everything.
    Now, obviouly if you have zillion of URLs, then you will have zillion of visitors, this is quite common sense. I guess it's not your case right now.

webrickco, Aug 14, 2010 IP
  5. chinesechess

chinesechess Peon

Best Answers:
    salty crackers, your image looks impressive, but i tend to agree with webricko. i think it's just to get your pages indexed more properly...

chinesechess, Aug 14, 2010 IP
  6. Salty Crackers

Salty Crackers Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to disregard the added traffic that comes to your site, which is shown by the graphs above, than ok.

Analytics spiked in Google traffic right after I put in the sitemaps. It continues to do so, and the traffic from Google is increasing exponentially at the same time frame as the sitemaps were added to web master tools.

So let me explain it again, we didn't use Google Webmaster tools. When we started using it our traffic went up. It's obvious by the analytics graph that there was an increase in traffic through Google because of this.

If you don't sitemap it up, your pages don't get indexed properly. When they are indexed more people find your site through the search engine. When they are NOT indexed people will NOT find your site easily through Google because there aren't going to be many indexed pages. Do you think a site with 200 indexed pages is going to get the same traffic as a site with 500,000 indexed pages?

The whole point in indexing your URLs is so people can find your site through Google and you get more traffic based on this.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    Salty Crackers, Aug 14, 2010 IP
  7. boyblogger

boyblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    I had experienced before when i setup my blog without sitemap. It takes time for the blog to be index . But when i setup another blog with sitemap, it took less time for it to be indexed.

boyblogger, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  8. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    A sitemap will always help in the fact that it provides links to pages that search engines may not readily, quickly find otherwise, as well as a necessary tool any website should provide to users, not just bots.

wrmineo, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  9. EngineerofSuccess

EngineerofSuccess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never knew how to create and submit a Google sitemap. How does it increase traffic back to your website or blog? Sometimes I feel stuck on stupid. And , don't laugh at me too hard, because I'm fairly new to the internet...

EngineerofSuccess, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  10. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's some XML sitemap tutorials. Explains how to create, upload, submit and ping XML sitemaps to search engines (each thing links to its own tutorial)

websitetools, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  11. Kothapally Arun

Kothapally Arun Peon

Best Answers:
    Salty Crackers it is a really impressive screen shot. However many in the discussion have complained how traffic is related to sitemaps.
    With out any doubt Sitemaps helps the Search engine bot crawl your website with ease. It is the single most important thing to have apart from PageRank sculpting(different issue) if you have a big site and you want deeper level pages indexed.
    Sitemaps help bots in crawling alone and not indexing. It is the search engines themselves who decide what to index or not so the traffic graph which you have placed might not look apt to many.(Webricko and chinesechess in this case). But there are many pages within a huge site which in spite of being worth indexing don't get that status because of poor site architecture. This causes lack of URL indexation and further possibility in lack of traffic. In this way sitemaps can have affect on traffic.
    So overall everyone must agree that sitemaps give bots good chances for deep URLs to get indexed and also will affect traffic indirectly.

Kothapally Arun, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  12. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:

I also see that you show Alexa as proof but in my opinion Alexa isnt reliable. It is easy to trick Alexa and do fraud with it, not saying you do but the hole system is just not trustfully.

A sitemap is just like it says a map for the searchengine his spiders. It helps them finding the pages which normally wouldnt be found as result of your bad infrastructure on your website. There are plenty of major websites without sitemap but because of their good structure they dont need any. So a sitemap is just a tool nothing more, directly it has no influence on more traffic.

dennisb, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  13. MirVB

MirVB Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is there even a debate about it? It takes less than a few minutes to do, and Google recommends it. What's the problem...

MirVB, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  14. NuiLoa

NuiLoa Peon

Best Answers:
    On a really big site, they can be helpful to getting your pages indexed.

On sites under about 100 pages they don't seem to make much difference.

NuiLoa, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  15. antpalm8

antpalm8 Member

Best Answers:
    A google sitemap is a must. End of story.

antpalm8, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  16. Sacamano

Sacamano Peon

Best Answers:
    They are very effective and it is a standard practice to submit a sitemap to search engines.

Sacamano, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  17. zigojacko

zigojacko Member

Best Answers:
    You only really need a sitemap for search engines (.xml) if you are struggling to get pages of your site indexed or if your internal link structure is not particularly great. This is the only purpose for this kind of sitemap so in most cases, it is not even needed. You can of couse build a sitemap for users (.html/.php) where the aim is to help them navigate the site more easily and locate what they are after.

zigojacko, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  18. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    sitemap had not direct connection but indirect connection bcoz once u r page index, its start getting rank and traffic start.

newlogo, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  19. Zack_miller

Zack_miller Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes,I agree with you,Site map is important for a site who are not index in search engine.Like google.

Zack_miller, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  20. priyankasinghseo

priyankasinghseo Peon

Best Answers:
    yes dear

yes use ful google sitemaps

google sitemaps - coleection of all pages

priyankasinghseo, Aug 18, 2010 IP