1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Start With a New Domain OR Buy an Established Site?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by johndoes, Aug 13, 2010.

Hello All,

I need your opinions about the question in the title. It may sound stupid to some of you, but I'm at the point of decision.

If I buy a 1-2 year old site I may eliminiate the risk of sandboxing, but will have to pay a decent amount.

On the other hand, I can start with a new domain, that'll be cheaper but my site won't get organic visitors for sometime cause I won't be able to build links fast enough to avoid sandbox.

I may be wrong with my assumptions, so I need help. If someone could tell me that starting a new domain is not a real problem that would be great since I can spend the cost of an aged site to link building. Simply put, can I start a new domain and get high SERPs quickly with aggressive (not spammy) link building? Or will I have to wait 6-12 months before my site gets decent positions?

Any help greatly appreciated

Best regards,

johndoes, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Always figure a minimum of six to twelve months for any competitive keyword with a new domain. Ideally, you would want an established site in the same niche - the older the better.

mjewel, Aug 13, 2010 IP
    johndoes likes this.
  3. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the very first thing you should look at are the following aspects:
    a) How well does it rank? If it has no page rank or a PR0 or PR1, don't bother.
    b) Is it in the same niche? Even if it ranks reasonably well (I assume that you're not talking a PR4 or higher) then if it is not in the same niche you will still need to build up traffic for your new keywords.
    c) If it IS in the same niche, what is the traffic? If it has no traffic, why bother?

Sandboxing will occur if you start building links too aggressively and using the same anchor text. I scored quite well for a few domains after only weeks though I was careful and started targeting initially the long tail keywords and not the main ones. Make sure that you do deep linking to useful content from similar sites and don't promote only the root. Of course, that will not work for a 5-page site... or it might, provided you use long tails.

SEOTranslator, Aug 13, 2010 IP
    johndoes likes this.
  4. jakomo

jakomo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    As said mjewel, if you could buy a established site go ahead, or maybe you could buy an expired domain at Goddady dot com, when you are buying an established website or an expired domain check out if it is not a fake domain name :)

Best and good luck!

jakomo, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  5. Googl

Googl Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think buying an existing website that has been around for a while would be the best decision. Search engines will index you much faster.

Googl, Aug 13, 2010 IP
    johndoes likes this.
  6. umlove

umlove Active Member

Best Answers:
    please tell me where i can start a new thread in this forum?
    i m new and can't understand

umlove, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  7. linky2010

linky2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's true that buying an established domain will definitely save you time. If you can afford it then go with it. Regarding what you said on how many months before a new website is released from sandbox, no one really knows. Some say 2 - 3 months while others experience 6 - 12 months. Just abide with the rules of Google and you will be safe.

linky2010, Aug 13, 2010 IP
    johndoes likes this.
  8. sousen

sousen Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's totally depend upon your budget if it’s suite for you can buy old domain always profitable. But if you buy New domain and build link organic way there is no chance to go sandbox. You need to know the organic way how to bring quick traffic not to break Google rule

sousen, Aug 13, 2010 IP
    johndoes likes this.
  9. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    new domain take time, old domain help in seo.

newlogo, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  10. seo4me

seo4me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    New domain need time to get
    and old domain may ease your efforts!
    If you are ready for hard work and patience you may definatyely go for new one but in order to get fast and easy results go with old domain if ond only if you can afford it
    :)

seo4me, Aug 13, 2010 IP
  11. BB-OM

BB-OM Member

Best Answers:
    Analyse the site before you plan to buy it. Also, start working on the site as soon as you have the ownership. You might lose the online goodwill of the site if you delay the work from your end.

BB-OM, Aug 14, 2010 IP
  12. johndoes

johndoes Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot guys. All your opinions were very useful. At this point I'll listen to you and buy an established site. I have no limitations for investment but I can't wait 1 year to get decent money.

However, I have another question :)

I want to enter the hosting affiliation arena. I have a site about SEO that'is alive for 2-3 years now with PR4. I never had the time to deal with it.
    Would it be wise to develop this site further for hosting affiliation or shall I buy a site that has "hosting" in the domain name and has been developed in this (hosting) area?

Can SEO/Internet be counted as related to hosting reviews? To me it can, but dont know what google thinks :)

Regards,

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    johndoes, Aug 14, 2010 IP