1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Basics of SEO for newbies

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jaree, Sep 25, 2006.

Hello everyone. I am not very expert in this SEO field but i have did lot of research and now i have understood the basic concepts of SEO. Here is an article i copied from some other website when i was searching about what SEO is. I dont have any link back to website nor do i have any reference about it. Anyway i thought this will be helpful for new comers and will save a little bit time and will help them get started so i am posting it here Hope you like it . Also feel free to add some more TIPs

Basic On-Page Organic Search Engine Optimization
    Header of the HTML Document:
    1 )Title Tag – 8 to 10 words, most important keywords first. Must be relevant to page, readable and keyword rich. Focus on 1-3 concepts and no more.
    2 )Meta Description Tag – 20 to 25 words with most important keywords first. Must be relevant to page, readable and keyword rich. Focus on 1-3 concepts and no more. It should be an elaboration of the Title tag.
    3 )Meta Keyword Tag – 1 to 40+ keywords in a comma delimited list. These phrases should exist in the title, or on the page. Most important phrases first. Misspellings should be included here, even if no on the viewable page.
    4 )JavaScript and CSS – Put them in external files to reduce the amount of data the search engine spider has to go through before arriving at the on-page text.

Viewable Page
    1 )Most important keywords should be placed high up on the viewable page. Ideally a <h_> tag is used to determine a page or paragraph heading. Search engines do not recognize CSS defined font sizes the same as <h1> tags.
    2 )Logo – Should always link to the site home page and include an alt tag with the site’s most important keyword phrase.

Text – The following example works well particularly on engines like Google.
    1 )Paragraph Heading (keyword rich, bold and linked to a detail page)
    2 )Most important keyword concept followed by supporting concepts with an occasional link to a supporting detail, example, case study, product, testimonial, press release, glossary or newsletter page. Google uses snippets from the page, so be sure to include related keywords near your target keywords in paragraphs.
    3 )Image Alt text – These are most useful for SEO when the alt text is meaningful for the page being linked to. Alt text: “red ducks” which links to the page, red-ducks.htm and where “Red Ducks” is in the Title tag, the page heading, Meta tags, on-page text, etc.. Keep it simple. Do NOT stuff multiple keyword concepts into an image Alt attribute.
    4 )Internal Links – Search engine spiders do not generally follow JavaScript links used in mouseovers or links in image maps. They do not follow links from dropdown menus. Use plain text links. Appearance can be modified through CSS. Placing a few keyword rich text links in the footer of each page can also build internal link popularity.
    5 )Site map - Link to a site map page from your home page and from other pages. The site map is a collection of static text links to all other pages of your web site. Do not place more than 100 links on any one page. More info on site maps.
    6 )Validate - Search engine spiders may not index a page fully or at all if it encounters certain types of HTML errors. Run your pages through an HTML validator such as http://validator.w3.org/
    7 )Link Building - On page keyword optimization and inclusion in a search engine’s database used to be sufficient for high ranking on competitive phrases. Do not underestimate the need for one way links into your site from authoritative sites. Quality is more important than quantity, although they are both important. Link building is an ongoing task that you should allocate time to in proportion to the aggressiveness of your campaign and competitiveness of your category.
    Create a resources page with links to .org, .edu, .gov, trade associations and other information rich web sites that are relevant to your industry. Categorize them according to your primary keyword concepts.
    Focus on one-way links to your site from other sites with a similar topic. When you get links from other sites, the page that links to you would ideally not have very many outbound links on it. Of the links that are there, they should be to other high quality sites in your industry. Focus on quality.

jaree, Sep 25, 2006 IP
    Jelf, sipltech, Mong and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jelf

Jelf Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey good help for seo newbs will share!@ thanks + greeny!

Jelf, Sep 25, 2006 IP
    jaree likes this.
  3. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good points, after making site update it regularly with orginal content

seo-mumbai, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  4. parusa619

parusa619 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info, ummm, is it possible to create a Flash website that can be easily crawled by Search Engines?

parusa619, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  5. ketan9

ketan9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What does this have to do with SEO??

I wonder!!! :confused: But other than that, excellent checklist.

ketan9, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  6. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    These sites are considered as Authority sites by search engines and so their link is very valueable now not all of them are like that but most of .edu are. These links are very valueable and if it has good PR its Gold Cake and will increase your search engine rankings for sure. As far as i know :confused: :D

jaree, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  7. energetic

energetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    very useful. thanks

energetic, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  8. dicetomato

dicetomato Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm still a newbie and it's very useful. Thank you.

dicetomato, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  9. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    And for inbound links:

Don't run for quanity..
    Run fast for quality backlinks only. :)

Mong, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  10. songchai

songchai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the Information, You help Newbie Like me alot.

songchai, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  11. songchai

songchai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quality BackLinks, Is it something like Backlink from the same field of Business. Travel Web to Travel Web. Is it correct?

songchai, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  12. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes thats also considered Quality link. Here is whats considered quality link.
    Links within Text like in an articles.
    Links from Authority websites( Like .edu, aged websites, Dominant websites, More PR and less outbound links :confused: example of authority website would be wiki)
    Links that are on high PR page and relates to your website.

As i said i am not expert in this field so feel free to correct me but thats what i think and i hope it helps some of you here :)

jaree, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  13. sipltech

sipltech Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol :D

This is a wonderful piece of information. Every thing need to start somewhere and later it improves. Keep the goodwork up! ;)

sipltech, Sep 26, 2006 IP
    jaree likes this.
  14. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, :D Also .gov links are also considered quality links and .gov as authority sites :D

jaree, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  15. sipltech

sipltech Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very correct :) .EDU is also a very much important domain extention. I also came to know about a new TLD. i.e. .Mobi, Lets watch how this move :D

sipltech, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  16. kristine

kristine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information. As a newbie this will help a lot. Thanks again. :D

kristine, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  17. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    NP :D Also feel free to add into this if you know anything in further detail or if i am wrong :confused:

jaree, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  18. gthenappan

gthenappan Peon

Best Answers:
    excellent info....thanks

gthenappan, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  19. Kirtan

Kirtan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information. I have read somewhere else that google trim title more than 65 character. so we have to keep it within 60 characters. is that true? How about having only one keyword in meta key tag? will it increat keyword weight for my page?

Kirtan, Sep 27, 2006 IP
  20. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good post to have handy. Thanks

cientificoloco, Sep 27, 2006 IP