1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

godaddy's grid host and apache 2.2.13

Discussion in 'Apache' started by nicholasstephan, Aug 10, 2010.

So, moving my site onto a new godaddy account has upgraded me from a "shared host" to a "grid host" (if that means anything) and upgraded from Apache 1.3.33 to 2.2.13, and as a result my mod_rewrite directives aren't working. I've scoured the internet and have found a few people with the same problem, but no solution that works for me.

My .htaccess file has the following lines:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteRule ^/?$ home.php
    RewriteRule ^about/?$ about.php
    Code (markup):
    Very simple right? It seems to work, because when you first load up the url it does go to home.php. But navigating to /about gives me a 404.

I think I've covered all my "I'm a moron" bases: about.php does exist, neither my browser nor godaddy is caching and giving me the wrong info, I don't have an about directory confusing things, php is enabled and working, etc...

Has anybody else run into this?

I've heard talk of adding

Options +FollowSymlinks
    Options +Indexes
    Code (markup):
    but this has no effect.

I've also heard that by default Apache 2 has the AllowOverride config option set to None, while we need this set to at least FileInfo, if not to All. But I'm thinking this can't be the problem as my first rule (RewriteRule ^/?$ home.php) does take me to home.php (and if I take that rule out I do get a 404 error as it looks for index).

What am I not thinking of? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    nicholasstephan, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  2. adrianTNT

adrianTNT Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Their grid plans have some strange rewite issues.
    I remember I was not able to rewrite something as simple as:

RewriteRule ^page/(.*)/ page.php

And even with no rewrite rules on your server, if you have a file /images/landscape.jpg you will see the same image by accessing /images/landscape , try that.

adrianTNT, Aug 12, 2010 IP