1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is Heuristics? Is it important in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by uniqueseo, Aug 10, 2010.

Hi all,

I would like to know about Heuristics in brief and its role in search engine optimization.

Thx,

unique-seo-services[dot]com

uniqueseo, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  2. wechito

wechito Peon

Best Answers:
    Heuristics is a fancy word to say trial-error.
    SEO is so based in estimates and assumptions that having a good heuristic data base is a great approach to make educated guesses (the most we can do in SEO)

wechito, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  3. sousen

sousen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Heuristic Analysis Techniques to ensure maximum usability of websites.The best way to think of heuristic analysis is as a set of visual rules that are used to see how well a website will engage with a visitor. As part of an SEO project, what you end up with is a site that has more usability for your visitors than it did before.

sousen, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  4. seo4me

seo4me Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ever since we were kids, we were told “getting close” only counts in horse shoes and atom bombs. What I took away was that you either hit the target, put the ball in the basket, or completed the pass— or you didn’t. Failure was not rewarded. Wrong answer in today’s wired world…

Today, “getting close enough” is now a practical approach to the constantly-changing science of organic Search Engine Optimization.

The approach is called heuristics.

A heuristic algorithm is a testable theory that ignores whether the solution to the problem can be proven to be 100% correct. Rather, heuristics seeks to produce a good solution or to solve a simpler problem that intersects with the solution of the more complex problem. Heuristics are typically used when there is no known way to find an optimal solution, or when it is desirable to give up finding the optimal solution for an improvement in run time.

Why is there no optimal solution in organic SEO?
    The simple answer is that the 800 pound gorilla in search, Google, does not publish nor disclose their algorithms for getting and maintaining top placement on Google. So that’s makes SEO a hit-or-miss proposition to some. But does getting close count?

The situation gets worse when factoring longevity. After all, top ranking today does not insure top ranking tomorrow. When a disruptive technology or a change in the Google algorithms occurs, you’re toast again. As Heidi Klum says on Project Runway, “one day you’re in…and the next day you’re out.”

seo4me, Aug 11, 2010 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  5. nehacct

nehacct Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks seo4me for your valuable reply.

nehacct, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  6. khulet22

khulet22 Member

Best Answers:
    @seo4me: I second to that! right way to define heuristics.

khulet22, Aug 15, 2010 IP
  7. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    Heuristic (pronounced /hjʉˈrɪstɨk/, from the Greek "Εὑρίσκω" for "find" or "discover") is an adjective for experience-based techniques that help in problem solving, learning and discovery. Check out the definition in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristics).

But, more simple:
    It is important for SEO because to improve your page you may want to change colors, button sizes, images, etc, to find out what works and what doesn't. You do this heuristics analysis by means of A/B testing (do a search for that term). Google webmaster tools allow you to perform that kind of analysis.

SEOTranslator, Aug 15, 2010 IP