1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[ask]Need help to setup home webserver

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by ethereal1m, Aug 6, 2010.

Dear all,
    I try to setup a home-based webserver and need some advice to accomplish it.

Suppose I have an Apache server on XP windows, a domain, and a no-ip hosts (since I have dynamic IP address). What I do:

1. The hardware configuration:
    internet <--> modem <--> router <--> server
    where the server resides in local subnet.

2. Suppose the hostname is ethereal1m.no-ip.org (which is assigned by no-ip) and attach it to my domain, which is www.ethereal.com

3. Configure Apache virtual host www.ethereal.com and set the server name to it.

The problem is when I ping www.ethereal.com, I get nothing, I thought the domain needs some time to attach to the host.

So in the Apache, I change the virtual host configuration from www.ethereal1m.com to ethereal1m.no-ip.org just to see if this works. I can ping ethereal1m.no-ip,org just fine, but the when I try to browse to it, it doesn't work.

Could anybody point me which part that I do wrong, this is my first time configuring a home based webserver.

Regards,
    ethereal1m

ethereal1m, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  2. happpy

happpy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    put the .COM domain as CNAME-record onto the NO-IP-name

happpy, Aug 8, 2010 IP
    ethereal1m likes this.
  3. ethereal1m

ethereal1m Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, this works when I put port forwarding to the router and couple port 80 with my server IP address

ethereal1m, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  4. PsyberMind

PsyberMind Peon

Best Answers:
    You will need to set up some form of nameserver resolution (NS) on your local network. The problem with that is, since you are behind a router, only your public facing IP address is visible. In that case, go with DynDNS or something similiar, point the Domain to the DynDNS nameservers, set up A records on the DynDNS Account to your local machine (public facing IP) and make sure port 80 is forwarded to your webserver. If you want to allow remote MySQL, open port 3306 for SMTP, open port 25 and 110 for POP

EDIT: Never Mind, I see you solved it already.. teach me to read beofre posting

PsyberMind, Aug 11, 2010 IP
    ethereal1m likes this.
  5. ethereal1m

ethereal1m Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you guys for the tips, I really appreciate it...

ethereal1m, Aug 11, 2010 IP