1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Way to Monitor Employees Working Frome Home?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by tdd1984, Aug 5, 2010.

What is the best way to monitors employees working from home. I know there is software out there, but trying to get some input here?

tdd1984, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  2. Leo Ghost

Leo Ghost Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you supply them with a company computer to use for business purposes only, you have a wide selection of choices available to you. If the information they are handling is sensitive, you may want them to connect to your servers through an encrypted VPN as well, which would give you the ability to apply a normal filter on the server they route through.

I can't provide names of software or the sort, but It's at least a direction to head in depending on the set up you're using now.

Leo Ghost, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  3. tdd1984

tdd1984 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You don't know of any software that we can use?

tdd1984, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  4. Leo Ghost

Leo Ghost Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I actually work more in getting around filters and monitoring services than work with putting them into place :p

As long as you're providing employees with the computers they are to use from home, you have the ability to install some sort of keylogging software or the sort. Though I really do think a VPN solution would be best. Basically you would force your employees to direct all traffic flow through your servers to be monitored using a sniffer or filtered with basic filtering before going on to the rest of the web. Since the VPN would be encrypted, you wouldn't need to worry about employees using wifi from a local cafe or the sort either.

To be honest a few quick Google searches for corporate grade monitoring software would probably be a lot more helpful than I can be.

Leo Ghost, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  5. Goran

Goran Peon

Best Answers:
    You could use something like LogMeIn if they agree to it. Probably the safest route is to assign some work and pretend you're working on it. How long would it take you? Give that person the same amount of time and then some. Obviously adjust as you put this into practice but if you notice that your employee can never make deadlines then you should drop them. This is how real world jobs work and deadlines are deadlines. Good luck!

Goran, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  6. sp360

sp360 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sp360, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  7. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google Docs! You can get connected to the people from anywhere with other Google Apps!

jezzz, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  8. EmpowerMedia

EmpowerMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, maybe I am just being paranoid now, but how does Google Docs allow you to actually "monitor" employees?

EmpowerMedia, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  9. tonnele

tonnele Peon

Best Answers:
    The best way to monitor them. Only pay for results that will get there attention

tonnele, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  10. accelerator_dd

accelerator_dd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ActualSpy will log every keystroke they make, and you can password protect it to review it latter or get it uploaded on an FTP server.

TeamViewer for screen capturing

accelerator_dd, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  11. ajushi

ajushi Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use VNC. A warning though, your employees would HATE the idea which most probably make them unhappy. I suggest tonnele's method as well.

ajushi, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  12. awesometbn

awesometbn Peon

Best Answers:
    Monitor employees by giving them recognition for a job well done. Not everyone agrees with your micro-management methods, such as keystroke loggers and screenshots every few minutes or remote control of the employee's desktop. Give them a little bit of creative freedom to encourage and empower them to become productive. I like the idea of setting deadlines. Reward good behavior.

Can you provide us with some examples of your work from home policies? Curious to know what expectations (if any) you've set for your employees. It's hard to enforce work policies that do not exist.

awesometbn, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  13. Valentina_Sk

Valentina_Sk Guest

Best Answers:
    As for me, I prefer to use ActyMac DutyWatch. DutyWatch is a computer monitoring and recording program that is capable of capturing every program used, every website visited, every keystroke made, even every instant message chat.
    http://www.actymac.com/dutywatch

Valentina_Sk, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  14. i.Net

i.Net Member

Best Answers:
    I cant personally code you a keylogger and a screen monitor, everything they do will be visible to you, and you only it will be encrypted for security.
    PM me.

i.Net, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  15. govind

govind Member

Best Answers:
    you can use logmein. it is cheap and best.hope it helps

govind, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  16. KevL

KevL Peon

Best Answers:
    There are free or premium systems you can use - but having "been there" I would recommend that instead of monitoring your outsourced staff, you simply make it clear what is expected of them.

You need to treat your outsourced team like adults & with trust - make it clear what's expected in term oc work volume & the quality of work, and as long as this is being acheived why spend time trying to monitor them?

It's the same if you employ staff - the same people who would spend time & energy on monitoring are the same people who would end up micro managing staff if they were on site. What's the point of micro managing & monitoring? If you're going to spend that much time & effort doing that, you may as well just do it yourself ;)

Just my opinion anyway - sure, you can't let people take advantage, but I would far prefer to just make it clear what is expected, and focus on the results - than mess around trying to monitor them.

KevL, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  17. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    What you can do to monitor them will depend on what they are supposed to be doing for you. If they;re doing data input its much easier to monitor them by how many orders they complete etc than trying to use anything else.

Virtualisation and thin clients is the way a lot go who want more control and works well if your somewhere where everyone has good broadband connections and you can afford the decent enough server to host the virtual PCs and have them run at a reasonable speed.

AstarothSolutions, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  18. HQ_BA

HQ_BA Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use WorkTime to monitor working from home employees

HQ_BA, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  19. MeBloggs

MeBloggs Peon

Best Answers:
    Make them tweet progress reports every 108 minutes.

MeBloggs, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  20. ggtouch

ggtouch Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Valentina_SK ActyMac DutyWatch is really good app.And now it has extended version it's called ActyMac Dutywatch Remote.It's work fine with iPad or iPhone.

ggtouch, Jan 25, 2011 IP