1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does it take YOU to write a QUALITY ARTICLE?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dyadvisor, Jul 2, 2010.

1. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    where do you get these pictures man?
    it's like you have a 1TB image drive for every possible thread/post scenario.

impressive.:cool:

atreides, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  2. PicktownChris

PicktownChris Peon

Best Answers:
    I am horrible at writing articles... I always have to oursource it...

PicktownChris, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  3. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    picktownchris

You say that you are awful is this because of your inability to write or the fact that you do not enjoy it? There is a difference, many writers just write for a few bucks. Others like me really enjoy what we do. This makes us more valuable because we take a bit of pride in our work. Which some say that it really is not work because we enjoy it so much. Well, it is work. Just fun work if that makes any sense.

gvannorman, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  4. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    parsibagan, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  5. j3rr3my8

j3rr3my8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Er... yeah it's ok... I think it should be a bit more conversational in tone - there are a few sentences where you say 'Does not', and you should use 'doesn't', in this article. It is maybe overly prosaic in the first paragraph too and I think 'permeates your nostrils', is a bit of an unusual turn of phrase. I know what you are saying, but it doesn't quite work... in my opinion! I think it's good though but you might look at changing the last paragraph a bit too. It doesn't read as well as the rest of the article.

But does not something seem to be missing amongst all this? You had read in various journals that Kolkata is still full of filth, beggars, and holy cows. It is not your fault. It is because quite a number of media experts seem to suggest that Kolkata is still full of filth, beggars, and cows. Media experts have been wrong before-or didn't you notice?

I don't know it doesn't quite seem to read properly. Change does not to doesn't for a start. 'You had read', is wrong too, you need to change that, maybe for something a bit less direct like 'Maybe you have read...' instead of 'It is not your fault', you could have something like, 'You can't be blamed for thinking this...' or something along those lines.

This isn't gospel, it's nearly four am where I am and I am tired, but it might be worth thinking about these things if you want to polish it up a bit. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's good.

j3rr3my8, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  6. ThisOldMan

ThisOldMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I normally write from my heart, about things I really care about. My typing speed is about 70 wpm so when the passion is there, the words flow like a torrent, so to say. If by quality, you mean unique and captivating, then you should visit my blogsite and judge for yourself what I can do. I have never really timed myself but when I wrote about "Hairless Pussies and 3-Foot Men", it took about an hour of furious typing and about 48 hours of rumination before that article was published.

btw I think anyone with access to Google should be able to find that article about "Hairless Pussies and 3-Foot Men".

Thank you.

ThisOldMan, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  7. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    atreides, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  8. homeworker11

homeworker11 Banned

Best Answers:
    Takes me a about an hour to write an article of around 500 words. and clients pay just $4 for that :(
    That's $4/hour????
    Ridiculous!!!

homeworker11, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  9. homeworker11

homeworker11 Banned

Best Answers:
    Haha!
    Really great :)
    Chase him catty...

homeworker11, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  10. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Seth/parsi

Your article above mentioned at:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Kolkata---...nes&id=3677802

Brief analysis now and 6 weeks from now.
    1. Article length 350 words new 500---- many article directories cannot afford the time to evaluate your article. With the short length, at mine it is thrown in the trash. Why? Only 10% of articles this long have quality characteristics like yours.
    2. Title 4/5 new 5/5
    3. SEO 0/5 new 4.5/5
    4. Read start to finish 80% new 98%---A little over 45% or articles started by the reader, reach the last line.
    5. Creativeness 4.5/5 new 4.5/5
    6. Structure 3/5 new 5/5 -----most articles would be 1 or 2 out of 5
    7. English Usage 4.5/5 new 4.6/5----glaring problem, use , instead of ( ) continually
    8. Readership potential 2/5 new 4.5/5----attracting 250% more traffic to view

Personal opinion: Very creative style, which might need to be toned down in favor of readers seeing your article. An unread article only brings personal satisfaction, and none to others.

-----trying to stay neutral, but I definitely see quite a creative flair of expressing your message in words---

dyadvisor, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  11. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd like to thank everyone for their insights.

@j3rr3my8: I'll change the "does not" into "doesn't" while preparing the final copy. As far as the final paragraph is concerned, I do agree that it is a bit different from the rest of the text. It does not flow as smoothly as the rest for the simple reason that it's job is to deliver a strong punch. As far as `permeates' is concerned, I could not find any suitable word which means `you sense the smell even if you do not breathe... the strong smell literally goes inside your nostrils.'

@dyadvisor: This copy is not meant to be search engine friendly. In fact this will be nested deep within a website targeted at tourists. I am planning to link nearly every shop in Kolkata through the articles. For example, the term `biri' would be linked to another page with details and contact information of most `biri' retailers (those who are willing to pay a small fee for the exposure). Actually this article was developed for the `tourism department' and was posted on ezine on their request.

@atreides: Awaiting your return!

parsibagan, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  12. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    The heralded return is at hand.

Content: Descriptive, adjectives rich

Organization: It flows reasonably well, but in the absence of a prologue and climax, a middling attraction would have kept a readers attention longer

Style: Conversational, warm. I like.

Technical:
    "marigold flowers" redundancy
    "nostrils" disrupts the elegant phrasing
    "lanes and bylanes" change first lanes to maybe, passages (play with it)
    Note: Sometimes, we get stressed by the red/green lines from M'soft Spellcheckers, especially with "'s". Trust your guts
    Note 2: Vocabs; no repeats of words, especially consecutively
    Gotta go again, 6 mails flashing on my taskbar

Uncle Sett, I'm basically nitpicking. It's an advertorial of sorts, not a fiction piece, so you'd be better off listening to DY. He can bring the results for you, especially considering that is the primary objective of this article

atreides, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  13. Shannart

Shannart Peon

Best Answers:
    It all depends on the topic really. I can write a 500 word article in 30 min or less if i am versed on the topic; if it's something that i have to research, it can take me 45mins to 90mins to complete it.

As someone said previously, there is no right answer for this question, there are too many variables.

But a good average is an hour.

Shannart, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  14. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMO that would be an average for a run of the mill type of article. The OP asked about a quality one, which means well researched, well written, proofread and error free.

That on average takes me 2 hours, and I consider myself to be pretty fast.

Kraven2, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  15. rolandogomez

rolandogomez Peon

Best Answers:
    Takes about an hour for about 700-1200 words, but then I've written and published five photography books, have written for magazines, newspapers and websites, so 30-plus years of experience helps ;) rg

rolandogomez, Aug 4, 2010 IP
  16. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Roland do not take this as a knock. This post of mine allows everyone to express their own methods and definitions. I have 40 years of experience, so no big difference.

I have also been a ghostwriter of sales books. However the topic here contains 3 items: quality, time, and articles (500 words).

So rather than read into what you have said, which does not line up with all those sincere replies before you please restate. You appear to be to knowledgeable and well versed. Could you please answer again?

dyadvisor, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  17. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of days depending on how much I already know about the topic and how much I need to research. I would spend more time if I need to find sources. Sometimes I let the article sit for awhile, then come back and work on it some more.

latoya, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  18. EmpowerMedia

EmpowerMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no hard and fast rule regarding how long it should take you to write a quality article. Writers who have more experience will naturally be able to write articles in a shorter amount of time. This is something that comes with practice. Still, it also depends a great deal on the topic and the amount of research required. Each individual writer is more knowledgeable about certain topics than others. In this case, less research is required. It seldom takes me longer than an hour to write a high-quality article that is around 500 words in length. In some cases, I can write two-three of these articles within one working hour, depending on the topic. This is why I prefer to stick to one topic a day. I choose a topic for the day based on outstanding orders and requests for articles that I have seen on other sites. I will write 15-25 of these articles in one day and then deliver them to buyers or disburse them to paid content sites. If I am perusing job listings elsewhere and I come across a request for something similar to what I have written in the past, I will gladly pick it up or bid on it because I know that I can provide that article with limited research in a very short amount of time. In these cases, I will often accept the job for much less than I normally would because I have already made a great deal of money off of the same topic and I can produce the article usually in less than thirty minutes.

EmpowerMedia, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  19. DeniG

DeniG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice reply from Empower Media. I agree. Like others have said, it has everything to do with the subject and the research required. An article I know something about can be written in a couple of hours. But if there is extensive research or it bullet points and lists involved in could take me a couple of days.

DeniG, Aug 7, 2010 IP
  20. Xander7

Xander7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I did some freelance writing and it varied so much depending on how focused I was. Sometimes 40 minutes, sometimes hours. Like others have said, it is about how much you know the subject but also how much you like it. If you can get yourself into it and just type out what's in your head without overanalyzing your time will improve.

Xander7, Aug 7, 2010 IP