1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What to do to get from 5th to 1st on first page?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ademmeda, Aug 1, 2010.

Hi all,

I have been working on the SEO of one of my sites that I want to rank 1st or 2nd on the first page of google for my targeted keyword. I did social bookmarking, blog commenting, some web2 backlinks and article submissions and now my site is on spot 5 for my target keyword.

Although I continue to build backlinks in the same manner(blog comments, article submission) it seems not to rise in ranks. So, what else can you suggest from that point to get to spot 1 or 2?

Thanks.

ademmeda, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  2. JoomlaDesigner

JoomlaDesigner Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the best thing you can do now is study the backlinks of your competitors and it will give you an idea of why they are on top. Along with it you can continue your link building....

JoomlaDesigner, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  3. StevieP

StevieP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would try and get some high quality in context backlinks on related sites - use something like SEO SpyGlass to see where you're competitors are getting their links from.

StevieP, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  4. sivaganesh

sivaganesh Member

Best Answers:
    Yes.. go to top 4 website in the search result. Find the backlinks to them , try to have similar back links with good Anchor text

sivaganesh, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  5. matessim

matessim Active Member

Best Answers:
    Work hard on High PR backlinks i would say, try to get featured in a big blog or something, thats always good.

matessim, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  6. dividend machine

dividend machine Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help

How do I get a positive reputation?

dividend machine, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  7. freeseoguide

freeseoguide Guest

Best Answers:
    I think I mentioned that few thim on DP... Cheap link building is useful till one point... you reached #5 and that's it! I think you should begin with more quality links... So, if you cant get free links than better pay $20 per link than to pay $20 for mass cheap links... so, build quality links...

freeseoguide, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  8. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should not only analyse their backlink, but their content. Maybe all of them have something on their page you do not have ?

Camay123, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  9. jdw4jesus

jdw4jesus Peon

Best Answers:
    I did not see any mention of on-page SEO. Do you do any of that as well as the off-page SEO? Tweaking your meta tags, and headers does wonders! :)

jdw4jesus, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  10. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey when you find something that works, let me know, I'm also at spot 5 :)

I will say though, don't buy links...just don't. That could get you busted, I hear.

Very important, make sure your site loads nice and fast. You could be losing a lot of visitors for slow loading. that's my current issue...

Groovystar, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  11. Joe Hansens

Joe Hansens Guest

Best Answers:
    Seo you accomplish now, will not have effect atleast until 2 months after now, unfortuantely the process is slow, but building backlinks are the key, eventually all the hard work will pay off

Joe Hansens, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  12. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. Keep improving your content, regularly add new articles to your site (remember, links from your own website are very important).
    2. You have to remember that the higher you go the more difficult it gets to go up. It's much easier to get from 51 to 50 rather than from 5 to 4. Takes more time and more links.
    3. Keep on building links they way you used to but do more.
    4. Try to contact some other webmasters in your niche (only from websites on the first page) and ask to exchange links. As you in position 5 and have good ranking many of them will be more than happy to do so.
    5. Consider buying links on quality blogs/websites. I know it won't be cheap but you'll see results. Remember, everything has a price and it's up to you to pay the price of being in top 2.

praetserge, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  13. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    It depends on your keywords, on how competitive they are... If would be easy if its not that competitive but I'm sure its competitive it requires a lot of analyzing to figure out that the proper SEO for it. You need to study how your competitors work and follow what they do.

Excel 8, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  14. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    Time is an important factor.

In the mean while, analyze your competition and keep on improving step by step.

dennisb, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  15. julietevents

julietevents Peon

Best Answers:
    Promote your Article, blog,blog commenting and Press release on Social Networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Digg its gives Huge Amount of traffic so its gives boost up for your Ranking so you can get good result for your targeted Keywords...

julietevents, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  16. ademmeda

ademmeda Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Luckily, the first 4 sites are not of internet marketers and not optimized for the keyword. My on-page seo is ok, site is simple and loads fast. But the following might be the issue:

- My site is new, less than 2 months, others are old: 1999, 2003, 2005, 2008
    - My site has very few pages, others have lots: One is a youtube video and other is an ehow article.
    - I don't have quality and high PR backlinks yet.

So, following are the next steps I will do based on your suggestions:

- I will add content to my site regularly, to increase the number of pages and for its own backlink power
    - Study their backlinks, and continue my link building(articles, blog comments)
    - Try to get some high PR backlinks
    - I will not buy or exchange any backlinks(not for this site)

And I will look forward to see that site on 1st or 2nd. I will update this thread when my site increases in ranks. I hope that will be soon.

Thanks for reading and good luck on your efforts.

ademmeda, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  17. flanagan

flanagan Banned

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Keep making unique content updated and submit into article directory which useful for you

flanagan, Aug 2, 2010 IP
  18. carriethomson

carriethomson Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not so easy to get the 1st position from 1st page as there are so many competitors, the thing you need to do is keep building some quality links and also pay attention on your content.

carriethomson, Aug 2, 2010 IP
  19. MaxMoney

MaxMoney Peon

Best Answers:
    YOur only competing with the first 10 results on the first page for your target keyword. There is where 90% of all the traffic for that keyword goes. Once you start getting near the top the competition get fiercer. Quality anchored text backlinks is the answer to ranking higher. It is extremely hard to get and keep 1 to 3 rankings for average keywords because your competition is doing anything they possible can to keep their rankings.

MaxMoney, Aug 2, 2010 IP
  20. nicolebeckett

nicolebeckett Peon

Best Answers:
    You definitely need better on-site optimization. Did you write the ehow article? If not, it's duplicate content, which isn't helping you.

The age of your site could be a factor, but newer sites can easily outrank older ones if they have the right on-page and off-page optimization.

Definitely look at your competitors...How many links do they have? That will tell you how far you have to climb! And, yes, try to get links from the same places they did. If you can match their links and have better on-page optimization, you will outrank them.

Good luck!

nicolebeckett, Aug 2, 2010 IP