1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can't view own site, DNS issue maybe...

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by mbaldwin, Jul 30, 2010.

Hi,
    Ever since my VPS host changed the system my vps was on, and that changed the IP address, I have not been able to view my own site. I have other sites on the same server with the new IP address that are working fine. i have used my own nameservers, and my domain sellers DNS server with no luck. I am getting e-mail fine, but when i try to go to my domain, it takes me to a different server. This has been going on for a few weeks now. The site I am having issues with is
    www.flaminghits.com
    Everything seems to be okay when i go to
    www.intodns.com
    to check it out.

The ip my site is on is
    the IP I get when doing a
    ping flaminghits.com
    is
    i have flushed my dns cache on my local system. I am using Googles public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I am confused why i would be able to send and receive mail, but the website is not working, and yes, the A record is setup and the www CNAME is setup. A check at
    www.intodns.com
    will show that.

well, thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Thanks,
    Michael

mbaldwin, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    The DNS report looks good and the website is resolving to IP 67.23.236.95 and working fine. By any chance, have you set an entry in the "hosts" file of your local machine to point the domain to 67.23.224.223.

On Linux machine the hosts file is: /etc/hosts
    On Windows machine it's at: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I am referring to your local machine btw. If yes, remove the entry. If not, try from a different computer using the same ISP.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
    madaboutlinux, Jul 31, 2010 IP
    mcfox likes this.
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Or the domain itself in hosts file? Perhaps it is being auto blocked by some software running on your machine?

mcfox, Jul 31, 2010 IP
  4. mbaldwin

mbaldwin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks very much for that. it was my local machines host file causing the problem. I do not recall why i added it in there, but I did, and I forgot all about it.

Thanks,
    Michael

mbaldwin, Jul 31, 2010 IP