1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Sitemaps FAQ

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by astup1didiot, Oct 27, 2007.

1. theemerchant

theemerchant Guest

Best Answers:
    try to search dagon design XML sitemap generator. I used this plugin for my WP
    Hope this will help you guys
    thanks

theemerchant, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  2. Sthman

Sthman Guest

Best Answers:
    I try to keep things simple and use XML with no compression!

The accesses to .../sitemap.xml are few and far between, so no real performance penalty ...

SM

Sthman, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  3. KVeil

KVeil Member

Best Answers:
    yep, agree..

KVeil, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  4. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the information. How important is adding a Google Sitemap to the Webmaster Tools feature?

Ibn Juferi, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  5. Sthman

Sthman Guest

Best Answers:
    Creating a sitemap is not much use if Google/Yahoo/Bing don't know about it - so submitting the sitemap to the search engines is the all-important final step.

You can do this to Google either by manual submission OR through Google Webmaster Tools. Using WMT lets Google know that you have a site map and want it to be crawled regularly...

Hope this helps

S.

Sthman, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  6. greenoro0

greenoro0 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very important information according to SEO point of view

greenoro0, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  7. BaveBr52

BaveBr52 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this, I wondered how people kept their site maps up to date - it's been the bain of my life. xml makes all the difference :cool:

BaveBr52, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  8. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent thread although I have been familiar with sitemaps for some time now and the advantages of them I had a quick question. With the advent of video popularity rising Matt Cutts was talking about webmasters submitting video sitemaps to Google. Google is going to start indexing our videos this fall.

Reference can be found here which I did a write up on here at http://nichewebsitestrategy.com/google-mrss-falland the original video can be found at youtube...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMe4qStOJyU&feature=player_embedded

The question I had is alot of wordpress addon developers have yet to respond with releasing a video sitemap addon that just extracts the videos on your website. Does anyone know of an addon that is capable of this or is it hard to code something of my own in the meantime? I mean I don't want the sitemap addon to extract the content like a regular sitemap does but just the videos on my website? Thanks guys and gals!

scotman, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  9. learntofly

learntofly Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    how many often do we need to submit sitemap to google if we have an active website or forum such as digital point anyway?

i`m having my own forum right now and haven`t thinking about this `sitemap thing` yet

learntofly, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  10. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    You just need to submit one sitemap to each search engine. The second video sitemap is optional, only for webmasters that have video content so Google can index them. That is if you have videos on your website in the first place. Otherwise just submit one.

scotman, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  11. Ryan Steinolfson

Ryan Steinolfson Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree I have had the same question as you about adding a video site map to my site as I know it helps immensely with getting the video's on my blog on the SERP results.

I think you will get a huge benefit out of this video: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-create-video-sitemap-for-youtube-videos-embedded-on-your-blog

The speaker in the video is kind of hard to understand but all the info you need is there.

I guess I just need to add another site map (a video site map) to my root directory in addition to my regular site map, correct?

I am also looking for a wordpress add on tool that allows me to automatically update my video blog like: http://skitch.com/goryan/dqysw/google-chrome

Ryan Steinolfson, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  12. Ryan Steinolfson

Best Answers:
    Does anybody know of a good site map generator software for a mac?

Ryan Steinolfson, Jul 24, 2010 IP
  13. rupeshets

rupeshets Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for share good information.

rupeshets, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  14. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Ryan I am glad to see other people interested in the video sitemap. Was hoping the original author of this topic had the information I was looking for but I got no response on my question about video sitemaps either.

Yes this is correct and submit it to Google.

The only solution that came close to answering this was found at Yoast.com. If you know coding you can figure it out..but I am all thumbs when it comes to xml coding. So the information is really no use for me. Here is the article. http://yoast.com/video-seo/ If you find a solution I would appreciate it if you posted back here with it.

A term you might consider searching for to find a solution is mRSS. Which stands for media RSS. The way it was explained to me was the data for your video sitemap would be pulled from your mRSS feed which contains only media forms and no content.

Like I said I wish I knew coding and but I did enroll in a class recently. Tired of not being able to do what I want when it comes to building new features for my website.

scotman, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  15. Ryan Steinolfson

Best Answers:
    Hey Scotman,

I'm all thumbs when it comes to coding also.

If you watch that videojug video that I quoted in my previous post you will see that you can pretty much copy the code from his site and create the video xml code right from there if you want.

Lemee know if you have any other questions.

Talk to you soon.

Ryan Steinolfson, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  16. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Ryan for the followup and for pointing out the obvious that I missed..

I missed that link the first time I read your reply. Cheers!

scotman, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  17. Ryan Steinolfson

Best Answers:
    Scotman, Let me know what you think of the video.

I think there are some insanely important SEO nuggets in that video even though the speaker is hard to understand.

To be able to send traffic to my blog via a video thumbnail on Google results is insane.... and all you have to do is be able to create and submit a video xml file??? Yeah I think video xml files are pretty important! lol

Ryan

Ryan Steinolfson, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  18. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea I caught that too. I had to rewind a few times to get it all but yea the exposure we can get back will be really nice.

Just ordered my hd vixia s20 today been using Camatasia in the meantime and have to start rolling them out like this week. Have a few videos going now but nothing like the quality I would get with a HD camera.

I'm currently going through a 4 week course of a how to on videography from a professional in the field. The course runs me about 100$ a month but the return investment will be insane! Especially if I start making videos for other companies. My main plan is to have a video course where people can enroll for a monthly fee to learn the field I teach. I plan to use my blog as the bait, another domain I just bought which I will be rolling out is seotool.tv ,which will be nothing but how to videos and the video course will teach advanced cutting edge content for my serious visitors. Thanks again for that link Ryan will be interesting to see where this takes us more "informed" ones over the next year. Let me know how you make out.

scotman, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  19. Ryan Steinolfson

Best Answers:
    I have a Vixia HV 40. The reason why I got that specific camera is because it has an audio in.... So I can use an external lav mic etc. to great sound quality in addition to great video. Camtasia for mac is what I am using currently.

Also another great inexpensive but great camera is the Kodak Zi8 because it allows a mic in also.

If you find any way to quickly and easily create xml sitemaps (preferrably with a wordpress plugin) please let me know.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Steinolfson, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  20. MarketSubset

MarketSubset Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a Wordpress blog, there are several free plugins that do this automatically. The one I use in my blogs is "Google XML Sitemaps" which offers the great flexibility and usability.

MarketSubset, Aug 3, 2010 IP