1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the big deal about DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by raybal5, Jul 6, 2010.

So why is everyone so hung up about getting listed in DMOZ? I know they are a great authority site but either some editor thinks you're site is worthy or not. If they do then well done and if they don't then too bad. All you might do is work on getting your site to "authority" level and hoping that some day you'll get listed. There are easier ways to get backlinked and those are the ones you should be spending time working on.

Am I wrong? If so would you please let me know what I am missing here?

raybal5, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  2. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    It gets you listed on the Google directory as well.

inspiroHost, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  3. baccifinejewelry

baccifinejewelry Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree on you. You can still pick a high pr and authority link out there which can also help to push your site ranking.

baccifinejewelry, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DCD ... DMOZ Compulsive Disorder .... I can never understand why so many obsess over a link as that is all it is. The level of obsession that so many have about it has got to be unhealthy.

Agent000, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  5. digital29

digital29 Peon

Best Answers:
    I asked myself the same question. Honestly, maybe it helps, but considering I have been waiting for more than half a year to get accepted, it doesn`t worth the excitement

digital29, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  6. chandldj

chandldj Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to take this opportunity to admit that I am a long time sufferer of DCD. After being rejected a number of times, I am now on the long road to recovery! You're right, there are a million easier links to get, so i'm done with DMOZ!

chandldj, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  7. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How did you know you were rejected?

Agent000, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With the lack of communication there is only assumption. With the going rate of sites accepted it's much safer and easier to assume that a site was rejected then added, especially as few of the sites I see mentioned here on DP get added (worthy or not). Which of course is compounded by the lack of volunteers that actually bother using the suggestion pool...and of course the use of the suggestion pool not being used as a queue.

Qryztufre, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  9. sriwirko

sriwirko Peon

Best Answers:
    Got a traffic to improve your ranking in sERP , also add more value if you want to sell your domain. LOL

sriwirko, Jul 13, 2010 IP
  10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Use to be a valuable link. Not anymore. So move on guys.

popotalk, Jul 15, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  11. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They haven't been an "autority site" for nearly a decade. Some webmasters, however, still hang on to the old voodoo.

You are not missing anything.

As for the Google directory listing, it's a DMOZ mirror, that's only occasionally updated, hidden in the pits of Google's bowels, and it's doesn't add any value, either.

helleborine, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They have barely existed for a decade so exaggeration, innuendo and smoke screens as usual.

Anonymously, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Barely and nearly are pretty much 'about' ten years... right? So what is really going on, is that the ODP ROCKED when they first started see... now they do not. What is all that hard to understand?

Though again... why do you keep asking for more when you give NOTHING nana, ziltch, zip... thats right, if someone came on and never posted, they would still have given more then you.

You are not and have never been an editor, so you don't even have room to talk. helleborine and I used to both be editors so we know what we are talking about. Wanna see our profiles?

Qryztufre, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nah....looking through the lengthy list of sites that you edited would be too hard. Oops, just realised, there was only 5-6 edits.

Aw well, that will kill 30 secs :)

snooks, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So what if he had 1 freaking website to add. Point is he had been an editor. Blame the Meta who accepted his application.
    It's just tiring to see things like this.
    So what about if I ask you which someone can't answer,
    Was there corruption in DMOZ ? Yes or No

popotalk, Jul 21, 2010 IP
    DevilHellz likes this.
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    My handful of sites were all listable, and all of my actions were well within the rules and guidelines of the ODP... and even though I may have only had a handful of edits, that is still FAR more then someone who simply claims to be an editor yet is not, never has been, and likely never will be... not till there is some type of proof.

So tell me, what was wrong with my edit history? You wanna make this thread about me? Sure go ahead... is there really a difference in my listing my own site that IS listable and a small handful of others? I am just taking the examples of the leaders of the ODP itself!

Skrenta has nearly 20,000 sites of his own listed... to make me worse then him, that means he must have what, 100,000 edits that are NOT his? Sorry, that's not gunna happen, ya see... my site that I listed IS within the guidelines, unlike his syndicated content that breaks several rules...

So again, tell me what the trouble here is?

Qryztufre, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  17. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They seem to be taking their time to want you back.

Anonymously, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  18. btks

btks Member

Best Answers:
    People freak out about getting added and everything. I usually submit each site I make to DMOZ once, and then I never bother to submit again. From there, it either gets approved or denied. I don't really check to see when it gets added, but the last site I submitted to it was added within 4 weeks from the date I created it. Generally, you just need a website with unique content. I have found that they like blogs a lot also.

btks, Jul 21, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  19. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lucky you. ;)

CReed, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  20. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Little bit sensitive Q? I merely said i would look through the sites you edited as you infer that you have great editing experience. Then i realised that you actually only did 5-6 edits before being removed. You seem to be a little bit sensitive about the issue so i will leave it there :)

snooks, Jul 24, 2010 IP