1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will my site be accepted?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Techie Geek, Jul 18, 2010.

Can someone please take a look at my website suggestion and see if there's a possibility that the suggestion will be rejected? I'd like to know if there's a reason I could be rejected.

Site URL: http://techgeeks-online.com/
    Title of Site: TechGeeks Online
    Site Description: Provides technical support, SEO advice, product reviews, and tweaking tutorials.
    Category: Top: Computers: FAQs, Help, and Tutorials

Thank you.

Techie Geek, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  2. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    A possibility that the suggestion will be rejected = 100%
    A reason = no content

Advise = try 1 year from know

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do yourself a favour and actually read the suggestion guidelines. They require that a website be suggested just once to the one best category. It doesn't matter if we think it would go better in a different one because we'll move it.

Avoid the temptation so suggest it to multiple categories and/or multiple times to the same category. It's a waste of everybody's time and is more likely to do your cause harm than good.

jimnoble, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  4. Techie Geek

Techie Geek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand :/ What's the problem with the content?

Techie Geek, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Suggesting to the WRONG category can get your site rejected rather then moved... you forgot to mention that. By saying that you WILL move it is misleading, as that is NOT what the guidelines you are pointing to suggest. So either you are wrong, or pointing to the guidelines is a silly thing to do...

Qryztufre, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  6. darkrider919

darkrider919 Peon

Best Answers:
    you need more content buddy

darkrider919, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    More content? ANY unique content should be enough for inclusion, as seen by individual deep links to numerous pages already listed within the directory. If the main page has content, or links to individual bits of content, then is that not good enough? sites like Lucky Mojo have numerous deeplinks to individual articles yet this page can't get a single listing? Topix has (nearly 20k) individual links to NON-ORIGINAL-SYNDICATED content, yet a site that fits the cat that has unique content is not good enough... something is seriously wrong with that.

Qryztufre, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  8. Techie Geek

Best Answers:
    Well that's nice to hear :)

I really do think the site has enough unique content. I'm a new editor for a very deep section (in DMOZ) and lots of the approved submissions there are deeplinks with one page of unique content.

Techie Geek, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  9. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    It just you must to have more than a couple of dozens or even hundreds of article to "impress" editors.
    Or whatever you have must be so "unique" (DMOZ term) that editors won't have choice but to list you.

My advise, submit your site and while waiting work on content no one else has and maybe, just maybe
    you hit Jackpot.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  10. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    everything seem to be look good, just make sure you use correct URL and correct anchor text so that you won't waist time submitting your site.

Excel 8, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  11. MelfromBoD

MelfromBoD Active Member

Best Answers:
    Initially I got the impression that of a splog. There is no personality, no about section, no contact us section, no clear reason why you have this blog in this first place.

You at least need those things, and that others said.

MelfromBoD, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  12. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As difficult as you make it to find, how would you expect anything other than the comments already received regarding such? Since you say you're an editor, how many times would you click "Older Entries" to see how much content a blog had? Ever consider linking to the archives or categories so that your content is easy to find? As a visitor, I wouldn't waste my time there.

CReed, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    According to whom? The ONLY site that need an about page are those trying to get into a regional section (Assuming the about page lists the physical address). The rest of those things are NOT on the guidelines so are not needed for a listing.

Qryztufre, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  14. Techie Geek

Best Answers:
    I created a "Popular Posts" section in the sidebar of the homepage to link to some of the best posts on the entire blog. I hope that helps.

I think a simple layout looks professional. I used to have a contact page but noone used it. If people wanted computer help or advertising rates they registered on the forum and PMed me. There's nothing I can put in an about section because I'm using Wordpress as a CMS for tech articles and not really to make a blog.

I understand why you could see it as a splog; most autoblogs are very plain like that.

Techie Geek, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  15. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What boggles my mind is that a site that purports to have expertise on SEO would chase a DMOZ link... in 2010.

;-)

helleborine, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  16. MelfromBoD

MelfromBoD Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why are you getting so defensive? The OP got what I was trying to say. It reminds me of a splog, not that it is. I said that because of the lack of said pages which is a characteristic of a splog/autoblog.

I meant to say "those pages are recommended" Loosen your panties and relax.

MelfromBoD, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    But I like them all bunched up...

Sorry if I sounded defensive... I just wanted the OP to know that such things as 'about pages' and site layout have NOTHING to do with getting listed according to the editors that post about the place. Though, having a good site by most standards would certainly take such things into consideration...

Qryztufre, Jul 20, 2010 IP
  18. MelfromBoD

MelfromBoD Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do too from time to time hehe, but anyway thanks for the clarification.

Good day.

MelfromBoD, Jul 20, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.