1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help me understand Product feeds please!!! :S

Discussion in 'Programming' started by matthecool, Jul 19, 2010.

Hey there. I am not a programmer, let me stress that, however I do have partnerships with programmers. Sorry if it is the wrong forum, but product feeds I would imagine are categorised under programming.

Ok first of all I own a site and I list products on that site.
    Let's say a hammer. I then promote that hammer as an affiliate on thehammersite.com.

I want to display their price for that hammer on my page

At the moment I pull their price based on their source code and my site reads it and displays it on my page. This method however is unreliable and I came to the conclusion to use product feeds.

To do this method of listing a product from a shop on my page, what would I have to do using the product feed?
    Do I download the product feed every 24hrs and a script pulls the price section for that product and then it displays in the correct section on my site?
    I am just not sure how it works and would like a tutorial.

Thanks, Matthew

matthecool, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  2. matthecool

matthecool Banned

Best Answers:
    Also for amazon is the product feed called "Product Advertising API"?

matthecool, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  3. lukeg32

lukeg32 Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends who you are working with.

Some merhants use product data feeds which you download in a given timescale (usually daily). The script you use shouldnt need to be changed unless the product feed changes - but of course, you need to be able to automatically fetch the feed when it is available.

Alternatively - and in the case of the amazon product API, you get a 'hook' into the product data - when you construct your call, wether this be through keyword based product calls or individual (ASIN / product ID) amazon will then give you back the data you have asked for - and your script then processes it.

If you are going to be working with the amazon API, then they have all the information you need - with examples - on their site already.

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=19
    http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSECommerceService/latest/DG/

and examples / sample code;

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/kbcategory.jspa?categoryID=14

lukeg32, Jul 19, 2010 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  4. matthecool

matthecool Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks Luke :) thread bookmarked.

matthecool, Jul 22, 2010 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  5. myindiahub

myindiahub Member

Best Answers:
    i have one shopping site and i want to display my product feeds in shopping site please help me for it and tell me what is actual process of product feeds submission.

myindiahub, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  6. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    You contact the shopping site that you want to be included in and ask them. Assuming they are bigger than you, they will probably specify the format the feed must be in, you ensure your feed meets their standards and then give them the URL of where they can pick up the XML

AstarothSolutions, Nov 19, 2010 IP