1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Spammers dominate Yahoo

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by Web Gazelle, Apr 15, 2005.

I have noticed more and more lately that good legit sites are dropping from yahoo and spammers are dominating. Whats up with this? Anyone alse seeing this? What are you doing to avoid being knocked out by the spammers?

Web Gazelle, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I really hadn't noticed. What terms are you seeing a more than normal amount of "spam" results for?

GuyFromChicago, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  3. euromickey

euromickey Peon

Best Answers:
    I cannot confirm this. I'm running a retail store and I'm ranking #1 for most of my KW since the recent update. My pages are well optimized - white hat only. I have been working a year on building directory links, recip links, one way text links from authority sites and Coop links as well. DMOZ still has not added my site yet.

euromickey, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Indeed, some "spammy" site are dominating certain SERPS.

It looks like Inktomi in the late 90's.

Crazy_Rob, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  5. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lot of sapmmy sites on yahoo for competitive ecommerce search terms. For non-commercial search terms, yahoo actually has bettre SERPs than Google.

dejaone, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  6. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't noticed any increases in spammy sites on yahoo. It still gives me less spam then google.

alias420, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  7. msj484

msj484 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i must agree. in the KW's i am tryin to rank well in on Yahoo, i have my work cut out for me because of all the spammy sites.

msj484, Apr 16, 2005 IP
  8. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here is an example of what I am talking about. Search for "coil binding machine."

Web Gazelle, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I have always seen lots of spam on Yahoo for years.

Design Agent, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  10. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    So the fact that most returns from google are paid now Vs. Organic, makes them what?

The fact that they claim sites for adsense are a TOS violation and yet they still make it to the top of the serps makes google what?

I don't really see the difference between the search engines anymore. And once all three are allowing us to publish PPC ads, I think they will start to look even more the same.

noppid, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  11. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    How do you define spam? I did the search that you recommended and the first 10 hits were sites about coin binding machines. Totally relevant.

:confused:

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Apr 18, 2005 IP
  12. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    well I think he is refering to ADSS as having most of the topspots under different domains. But they are pages that offer information and coil binding machines and sell them too. If there is no duplicate content accross the sites I dont see a problem with this, I didn't spend too much time but the homepages of each site are different, try reporting them. They dont look too hard to topple anyways just go on a good backlink campaign with a nicely optimized site and you should be fine.

alias420, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  13. TopSpin

TopSpin Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm in Yahoo's camp - I find it to be a far more reliable search engine - less spam, less garbage near the top of the organic searches.

TopSpin, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  14. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    I am refering to the fact that you can buy several domain names and clone your site so you own 7 of the top 10 spots. Google would have banned all but one of those sites.

Web Gazelle, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  15. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true.. now I think I prefer yahoo ;)

Design Agent, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  16. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    Yes, I understand. But I think that the term "spam" is being used too loosely here. If, for example, a webmaster uses doorway pages and/or cloning in order to dominate the top spots in Yahoo!, but he/she is in fact selling a legit product or service related to the optimized keywords/keyphrases, then I don't see anything wrong with that and I wouldn't call that spamming. If, in the same example above, if the webmaster is optimizing for a specific search term like "coil binding machine" but is in fact redirecting that click traffic to a poker site, then I would certainly call that spamming.

I don't have a problem with anyone using aggressive SEO techniques in order to get to the top of the organic SERP's, as long as they're selling a legit product or service. Furthermore, I prefer Yahoo!'s overall SERP's over G's at the moment.

As always, IMO.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  17. alias420

alias420 Guest

Best Answers:
    After more thought I would consider it spamming all those pages should be on adss's site the only reason I can tell that they have all that spread across so many domains would be to accomplish what they have done. I think the same page occupying 7/10 top spots really hurts the relevancy I have no problem with them being number 1 & 2 with an indented page but the way it is now it's alot harder to comparison shop. Spam isn't just being deceitful and redirecting to another page you can be perfectly on topic and spam. Targeted spam converts far more. I would still recommend reporting this to yahoo maybe they will drop all but one page.

alias420, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  18. www.AmCy.org

Best Answers:
    I'll concede that 7/10 of the top spots is certainly overkill. That sort of dominance is sure to annoy competitors, who in turn will complain to Yahoo! and may even get the sites banned. So I think overkill is not really a good idea.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Apr 19, 2005 IP
  19. Web Gazelle

Best Answers:
    That was just one example. I have seen others doing this aswell. As far as reporting them. My report alone, I don't think will do much.

Web Gazelle, Apr 20, 2005 IP
  20. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been getting the odd referral from overture and yahoo for the term "SEO UK".

I was a bit surprised as I haven't targetted it at all. Anyway, I'm somewhere around the 50 mark for that term (No big deal in itself).

What did catch my eye however, was the multiple blogspot listings for that term...

seo-uk-7.blogspot.com
    seo-uk-5.blogspot.com
    seo-uk-2.blogspot.com
    seo-uk-3.blogspot.com

All using the same content...

Did make me giggle.

SEbasic, Apr 20, 2005 IP