1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Natural Links - What's the Deal?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jasonvan, Jul 10, 2010.

Anybody who knows anything about SEO knows that links matter most. Onsite optimization is important, but only to get you to the starting line. Links is how you run the race. Without lots of high quality and relevant links, all the onsite optimization in the world means nothing (unless you are vying for keywords that nobody else wants).

So the big question is always..."How to get more links?"

Google and the other search engines want you to acquire links naturally or organically. This means when other webmasters like your site (or content or both) so much that they naturally decide to link to it. Now how often does this happen?

How often will some webmaster stumble upon your site, and love it so, so much that he/she decides to give it a significant mention on one of their relevant sites (using your desired keywords in and around the anchor text)? What's better, how often will this link be on a significant page with actual PR to be passed to you?

My opinion is this: unless you are posting something incredibly significant on your site (like the cure for cancer or the solution to global warming), 99% of webmasters who either hear about or come across your site will not give it a free one-way link. Webmasters are far too smart and far too greedy to do something like this.

I've actually had dozens and dozens of webmasters say they really, really loved one of my sites. Then when I asked for a link, they requested a link back (or better yet payment).

I just really, really hate so called "experts" here in DP trying to convince others (usually newbies) to just build great content and the links will come (naturally). What a ridiculous farce!!!!

jasonvan, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  2. msk19994

msk19994 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ya mate i also need the answer to this question i am also really confused about this !

msk19994, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  3. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    finally somebody talking the honest truth about it. And the truth hurts. My site's already full to the brim with reciprocal links and I don't have room for any more even if I did want to add them. I DO however get some natural links from my members who will link back to our forum on their blogs and stuff. But none of those are "authority" links. They're still links, though, so that's something.

Groovystar, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  4. albemarle24

albemarle24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No doubt natural links are much harder to come by than they used to be.

I agree that many of the recommendations that are recited by SEO "experts" are often outdated, overstated or downright urban legends.

albemarle24, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  5. Flashnest

Flashnest Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the niche. Some of my sites do really well getting natural links.. If you have interesting and unique content... I notice many of the DP members on here are bloggers and half the stuff they write about has been written a million times before but in a different context.. UNIQUE IS KEY!!

Flashnest, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  6. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to be your own biggest advocate if you want to kick-start anything natural. Draw in influential people to your link-worthy content. You can do this from Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Web 2.0 sites, Placement on Google SERPs, PPC, or all of the above AND MORE.. whatever reaches your target audience. No one understands your goals as well as you do so no one can achieve them as good as you can. Hire the right people, use the right software, read the trusted sites, manage your time wisely and listen to trusted sources. It's true though even link bait can take a lot of elbow grease!

You seem like you understand how things work much better than most :)

Brad Callen, Jul 27, 2010 IP