1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do I increase my price from $5 to $7 for writing a good 500 word article in DP?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Annieblogger, Jul 2, 2010.

Hi,

I'm a freelance writer and blogger who had been working for some freelance websites. Now a days these websites (eg. GAF) are paying very low and I couldn't stand anymore. So I joined DP.Right now I'm writing for $5/500 word article here.I know it's very low. But this is because I'm getting most of my work from article marketers.

I got some good buyers from DP, who are providing me regular work . And for one of them, I wrote 182 articles in the last 3 months for even a cheap price since he gave me some bulk orders. But now I realize that he is selling those articles in DP itself for thrice the price he gave me. .I'm not at all concerned about the big profit he's making nor I'm asking for a share from his profit. But he is not ready to increase the price. He says that he will find other writer for even a cheaper price. And I know there are people who write for even $3 here.

And just now I read a post in DP, in which one says that an article which costs below $10 will be either rewritten or a copy-paste one. Sure I'm not delivering any of these. Which means that I have to increase my price to at least $7/article. Although writing is my livelihood, surely I can't write for $5 anymore....

I need your suggestions and help regarding this.

Thanks in advance,
    Annie Richard

Annieblogger, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  2. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    $5 to $7? Ugh.

How 'bout increasing that amateur rate from $5 to at least $20?

Writing is your livelihood? How can it when you are working for under minimum wage?

Unless it compensates your other job?

Is it safe to assume you live here in the states and not in a country where the cost of living is much lower?

Have you forgotten that this board is filled mostly with lonesome people/attention whores who lie by saying they write articles for $250 (or whatever), kids, walking-talking ding dongs, and, noobs who think they are writers, and, copywriters?

In most cases, even a rewritten $10 article is still crap. In most cases, you find them on shit, to mediocre sites, where the webmasters have a hard time getting repeat visitors. ... Mainly because the articles are...crap.

In a nutshell, learn how to write better, be a better storyteller, and then, and only then approach magazines and newspapers, both off and online as a syndicated writer.

Make money through volume.

Example: Each source pays, say, $100 a month. 50 sources gives you $5,000 a month.

That is just the tip of the writing iceberg.

You also have such sites as Yahoo, Reuters, Huffington... You also have the pubs, like, Writer's Digest, Reader's Digest, Cosmo, Ladies Journal, O....

My God, the list is endless.

Create a hell of an "About Me" page and a form e-mail, and get to sending those quires out.

A good blog to read: http://www.makealivingwriting.com/

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
    Perry Rose, Jul 3, 2010 IP
    Bizza likes this.
  3. Annieblogger

Annieblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks a ton for your kind reply

Annieblogger, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, for God sakes, don't advertise yourself as a $7-an-article writer. The more experienced, like many (not all) of the magazine and newspaper editors, both off and online may not even give you the time of day.

Another source for you: http://www.linkedin.com/

When they say that "professionals use LinkedIn," they ain't jokin.'

Remember...think volume!

And stay the hell off this board, and especially the Warrior Forum if you ever hope to be a serious writer getting serious jobs on a continuous basis.

Good luck.

5. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Perry your presence on Linkedin is a joke. Hardly any connections, hardly anything at all. Which others can feel by simply reading your posts, or looking up your LinkedIn status. Annieblogger can definitely get more than $7.00 than has been proven again and again, but anyone that devotes a little more time to learning and perfecting talents. In 2010 (not 1995, Perry), you need to be able to prove yourself to a client. Then you look at other sources of opportunity. An investment in learning time is an investment for yourself. It is why you get the job rather than someone else. Plus you also have to change of the thinking of yourself. Instead of writer for hire to the highest bidder, you must treat writing as a business. You are independently in business for yourself. --------------you can take proven advice or speculation-----------------------------

dyadvisor, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  6. Annieblogger

Annieblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been trying to find buyers in DP who are paying above $5 for a 500 words article...But all in vain....I think this is because many good writers here are charging a very low price..

7. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    As I mentioned, you need to prove your worth. If for example I wanted an article written, what proof can you give me that you are worth what you are asking?

8. Annieblogger

Annieblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right...I'm doing the same...But once they came to knew that I was offering my services for a cheap price in the past, than they will start bargaining...

9. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    No, unfortunately, you are proving that you will take a lower pay than no pay.
    Then you are being taken advantage of.
    You still have not answered why you are worth more, and why you will not accept less.

You need to actually prove it. What actual written proof do you have of your qualifications. Talk is cheap. If a person wants to pay you $10.00 and article, they want to know why. Give me that why factor. Why you?

If you can show credibility, getting $10.00 would not be hard. Look at your signature, start talking per article or group of articles. It should read $10.00 per 500 word article.

10. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Perry, you would be wise to look at the discussions on Linkedin in the writers groups. Especially the ones about rates.
    You may want to place you foot in your mouth after that.

I am not flaming, or coming at you at all, but your statements in this thread are so wrong, it qualifies as misinformation, which is fine when dealing with DY or me, we are not new to the scene, but now you are steering a new writer in the wrong direction. Please get your facts straight before posting.

Kraven2, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  11. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Perry does not know the least thing about Linkedin.

As of a minute ago he has 8 business connections

MY count is 3,081 quality business connections in the professional occupations.

Again all talk with nothing to back it up. Just had one on Gmail Perry, is is very mad at the way you treat new members. Probably, he will reporting you with the triangle button.

12. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well if it works as well as when we report him.............. :D

Kraven2, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  13. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    It's either kids, noobs, who don't know what they are talking about, or fools, like the wizard, who make stuff up to try to be somebody on a board.

Either way, it is pretty entertaining.

I do thank you for that, though.

Oh, hey, planet 9, have you figured out who owns Alexa yet?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  14. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
  15. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Proving your worth to your buyer. That is the biggest bit of advice that anyone can get. I say that because if you want to charge $10 per 500 word article then you need to know what that article is worth to the client.

Write a good top quality article and save it to show to clients. I personally have submitted my articles to EZA and just point all clients to my profile there to see my work. I am working with Dy on another system and I am perfecting my writing this way I can prove my worth to my prospective clients.

gvannorman, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  16. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    A solid method. It also gives you a good foundation for negotiating price. It is not just for defending your rates, but a cornerstone to build your business around.

Kraven2, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  17. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    does anyone understand this cryptic comment? In 1999, Alexa was purchased by Amazon.com for approximately $250 million in Amazon stock as the company moved away from its original vision of offering an 'intelligent' search website. The reason some people used to think Google 'owned' Alexa is because Alexa commenced a collaboration with Google in spring 2002, and with the Open Directory Program in Jan 2003, which effectively gave Google access to Alexa's raw data and usage information. In May 2006, Amazon replaced Google with Live Search as a supplier of search results.In Sep 2006, they began to use their own Search Platform to serve results, so that no longer applies. Why is it of concern in this thread? Anyone?

contentboss, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  18. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    gvannorman, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  19. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That article should be required reading for any writer. Thanks for the link, I will add it to my site :)

Kraven2, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  20. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then say "NO." It's not that hard to do.

I get weird offers all of the time. I just thank them for the offer and say no.

If you have a "yes" attitude, you're going to get steamrolled all day long. And when a good job comes, you might not be able to take it because your time is being milked away by all those lowball offers.

Nothing wrong with doing one here and there, but you can't make it a habit and never, ever take a large order like that. Limit the order to 1-2 articles.

marketjunction, Jul 7, 2010 IP