1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are .edu and .gov backlinks useful for SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by DearaDesigns, Jul 7, 2010.

I've read many times that .edu and .gov backlinks are useful for SEO, but why? Must those backlinks be Do-Follow to contribute to SEO? Anybody knows?

DearaDesigns, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  2. steammultimedia

steammultimedia Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey,

whither its a .edu or .gov or .com wont really matter if it links to you. They may get a bit more repect from search engions because they are ment for schools and goverments.

if the back link is no follow then the search engine dont follow the link, so be careful about buying back links(which you really shouldnt do anyway) as they have a high chance of the no-follow rule applying. They will link back to the website but stop the search engines going there.

steammultimedia, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  3. nabeelarkisdata

nabeelarkisdata Peon

Best Answers:
    Because they are considered as high authority sites by search engines

nabeelarkisdata, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  4. StevieP

StevieP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Only Government bodies or academic establishments can get those domains so the search engines know that they are going to be valuable websites.

The links have to be dofollow though or else the search engines will not 'follow' the link and register the fact that it links to your site.

StevieP, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  5. efreed

efreed Guest

Best Answers:
    As an addition to StevieP's comment. Valuable websites are those with "authority," hence why a .gov site or a .edu site would be more valuable than a new, or unrecognized .com

Just to dispell this notion, I was recently at a conference with a google rep who indicated that whether do-follow, or no-follow - these links still count. *They do not need to be do-follow* but it is preferred if they are.

Remember, it is better to have a little of something, than a lot of nothing :D. Hope you find that helpful.

efreed, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  6. cryingjoker

cryingjoker Peon

Best Answers:
    I wanted to know why about it before and now StevieP gave me an idea which they have an authority. In .gov I do understand that it has a high authority because there might be a very important announcement that the government wanted people to know. Or in .edu for education in very important.

cryingjoker, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  7. Peter Greene

Peter Greene Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of my sites have more than 640 edu backlinks with only a dozen of regular links... the site rank 3rd on keywords with 200K search volume.. gov and edu are powerful... high authority domain extensions.

Peter Greene, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  8. taz.solution

taz.solution Peon

Best Answers:
    Other than these sites having authority, most search engine specially Google view EDU and GOV sites as "good neighborhood" therefore, a backlink coming from these sites tend to weigh more value.

Are you interested in Web 3? check out my sig. :)

taz.solution, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  9. JamesCF

JamesCF Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, this question was asked to Matt Cutts and he answered it in a video; he basically said that they are not worth any more than any other domain extension link.. however....

the all mighty can bend the truth as he sees fit.. so who do you believe.

JamesCF, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  10. flixy

flixy Peon

Best Answers:
    JamesCF is right, they don't have special authority all of their own, but it's the site's that are attached to them that matter. And more often than not, those sites are considered important by google because they're attached to significant government or education insitutions. Joe Bloggs can't register a domain with .gov or .edu extensions, so having to prove they qualify elminates much of the rubbish associated with other domain extensions.

flixy, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  11. Bestseoever

Bestseoever Member

Best Answers:
    .Edu and .Gov are trusted domains. I don't know what others have the perception about a Nofollow link from .gov or. edu tld. but i think they help a lot for sites Trust factor Improvement.
    According to me a site has a much better chance to rank higher when google thinks its relevant and is a trusted one.
    Why new site don't rank easily cos they don't have the trust factor associated with it.

People mainly called it "Age" factor but its "Trust" Factor.

So surely if i get one BL from trusted domains then its far more better then 20 Irrelevant sites.

Bestseoever, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  12. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    This should be a sticky so that the same question stops being asked 10x per day on Digitalpoint.

Pixelrage, Jul 7, 2010 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  13. DearaDesigns

DearaDesigns Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry to ask these newbie questions :S, I just couldn't find the answer in the forum. So maybe, if those .edu and .gov links are so useful, here I leave yo with a list of .edu sites I've found in the internet ;) I hope you enjoy it:
    http://www (dot) webcosmoforums (dot) com/link-development/12236-big-list-edu-sites (dot) html
    Thanks everyone for your useful answers

DearaDesigns, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  14. jeryjohn

jeryjohn Member

Best Answers:
    These Domains are comes under Quality websites. So it is very useful in SEO.

jeryjohn, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  15. flanagan

flanagan Banned

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think .gov & .edu link are use when this link give us link backing for our site otherwise use less

flanagan, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  16. IrnesJ

IrnesJ Peon

Best Answers:
    If a government site is linking back to you then it means what you have to offer is really good. I don't care what Matt Cutts says anyone who has tried this out will tell you they noticed significant gains in there ranking.

IrnesJ, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  17. nikomaster

nikomaster Member

Best Answers:
    Thery are regular links as a .com .org

nikomaster, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  18. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    .edu and .gov command higher authority because they're more difficult to get linkbacks from.

inspiroHost, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  19. AirForce1

AirForce1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this should be right before but might be not so these days since .edu and .gov back links would usually be considered more authority. I think back links from niche relative authority sites would be more useful than .edu and .gov ones.

Have a nice day,

AirForce1, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  20. newcity

newcity Peon

Best Answers:
    All domain extensions are same. The only factor is the domain name and its popularity. If a site has enormous popularity, it is considered a valuable backlink.

newcity, Jul 9, 2010 IP