1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Signature Link questions...

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by cks, Jul 1, 2010.

Hello all here at digitalpoint,

I'm somewhat new to the whole web marketing thing, but I notice that a lot of users have links to websites on there signatures. Does that in some way help with seo?

cks, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  2. bigcat1967

bigcat1967 Active Member

Best Answers:
    somewhat. It's more for advertising...

bigcat1967, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  3. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They useless for link building as they pass no or minimal link juice; they OK for advertising if on topic.

Agent000, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  4. cks

cks Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Agent000..

One more question, I see that some users have like 1000+ posts, if they were to change their signature links, will it update all the previous postings with the new links?

cks, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  5. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    no idea. depends on how the admin has set up the forum. in some it does and in other ir dosen't

Agent000, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  6. mzonas

mzonas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on your own settings. Normally, the signature should change itself in all previous posts.

mzonas, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  7. cks

cks Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your quick replies.

cks, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  8. petr_ind

petr_ind Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    lately sig links is good for PR, but now it gives very very slight effects (as it is very hard to check).
    The main purpose of sig link now is to get visitor. Make the anchor attractive so people will look on your link

petr_ind, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  9. MarkAse

MarkAse Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen a few studies showing 1k signature links, exactly those found here on DP, can move someone from #7 on the first page up to #1 on the same page for extremely competitive terms.

Do 10 signature links here help? Not really. They do, really add up over time though.

MarkAse, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  10. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it helps a lot especially DP signature

lifeplayer, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  11. lekhraj

lekhraj Active Member

Best Answers:
    I heard that if you put a signature link in your profile, ... It depends on the site.

lekhraj, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  12. webebooks.net

webebooks.net Peon

Best Answers:
    The links is mean the links and it will help you increase some points on your seo plan. Don't worry to try to using forum signature to increase your backlinks because it's really good.

webebooks.net, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  13. premgarment

premgarment Peon

Best Answers:
    i think google checks ip of wich link is coming from if u are geting link rain from one domain that is not much effective as u get links from diffrence diffrence urls that is very very important.

premgarment, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  14. webebooks.net

webebooks.net Peon

Best Answers:
    The first think you should to care that the relevant with your website content.

webebooks.net, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  15. cks

cks Peon

Best Answers:
    Why especially dp? Does it have something to do with follow, no-follow?

Hmm... Lets say you have like 10,000 posts - all started with abc.com as your signature link. Then you decided to change the link to xyz.com.

Would this negatively effect abc.com?

Would xyz.com benefit from 10k links all at once?

cks, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  16. verdecove

verdecove Member

Best Answers:
    Signature links coming from to your site niche related forums do have more value. So like in my case the value of the backlink in my signature is not very high since DP does not have too much in common with Home or Garden Decor but somewhat it does help and with all the posts you might do here (and please do not spam just to get as many posts as possible!) it does add up and does help a little. Besides of that, and here I would like to thank all DP members who did visit our shop, it does create some traffic. So if your site is e.g. about Soccer and you can post in a Soccer forum the links in your signature will be given more value by Google than the signature links here from DP. Another aspect is the PR of the forum you want to post with. The higher the PR, the more value. But also here counts the rule if niche related or not. You can create a signature backlink in a PR8 forum that won't have as much value as a signature link in a PR2 forum that is related to your site.

And to also answer another question here in this thread about if the signature changes in all previous posts if you change it in your CP....
    Here on DP it does. I did change my signature quite a while back and it changed it even in old posts. On other forums it did not do the trick for me. So it does matter the forum.
    And of course, if all in a sudden abc.com gets changed to xyz.com so this will have an impact on abc.com because the search engines might crawl those pages with your signature again and all in a sudden all your abc.com links are gone. Ouch...Not Good!
    But this can happen to you as well in blog comments. The blog post with your comment gets moved to any archive, Google crawls the blog and the pages with your comments are gone. So no backlink that Google still could find. And only Google knows if it ever will crawl that archive or not and find your comments with the links again or not.
    I am telling you this out of my own experience with a few blogs I have left comments with.
    Besides of that, there are a few really nice blog admins who love to disable the links in older comments or to even turn them around to link to their own sites.
    You will be surprised what all you can find out when you do some checking on your backlinks. Links created on blogs with keywordluv plugin, which is supposed to give you a dofollow link on your keywords added to your name, all in a sudden turn into nofollow after a couple of weeks and after the post got enough comments.
    Believe me, backlink building never gets boring and it never will end.

Cheers
    verdecove

verdecove, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  17. aweseome

aweseome Guest

Best Answers:
    hmm...i think it only help in advertising and driving traffic to your site.

aweseome, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  18. cks

cks Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info! Thanks so much verdecove..

It's just that everyone is doing it, so I thought there might be something I was missing.

Would it be asking too much for some tips on seo, and link building? :)

cks, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  19. Carmen123

Carmen123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    maybe some useful. but some websites don't allow signature with links.

Carmen123, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  20. dollarswealth

dollarswealth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well I doing a test on signature links to see the result myself

dollarswealth, Jul 2, 2010 IP