1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reliable .ca registrar

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by macdesign, Apr 14, 2005.

I need to register a .ca name for a customer - and need a suggestion of a company that's safe - i.e. they won't register it to themselves and then rent it to me.

The site is hosted at Godaddy - and I will be switching the URL to it - so I don't want any problems with being able to do that. [Godaddy, does not do .ca registrations]

macdesign, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  2. l0cke

l0cke Active Member

Best Answers:
    l0cke, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  3. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    DomainLoot, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  4. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will vouch for domainsatcost.ca. There customer service is not the 'greatest' but they are very in every other respect. I will try namespro later today just to see. I am always shopping.

NewComputer, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  5. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm actually about to try namespro.ca myself.

We should all "report back" later... :)

6. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    For sure, domainsatcost has quick DNS updates and average customer service.

7. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Just for the record tucows is listed as a .ca registrar - I used them a couple of years ago for some .com registration and they totally screwed up the DNS for six months on one domain - then wanted to renew at around $50 when registrations were down to less than $20 - I would never go near them again.

8. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    mushroom, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  9. nikolaz

nikolaz Peon

Best Answers:
    no problems with registerfly.com - i've already registered there 9 .ca domains

nikolaz, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  10. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Mushroom,

You are paying an AWFUL lot for domain names through them... $80 bucks for two years? You need to look at one of the first two mentioned above.

11. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    just regd. http://www.michaelbennett.ca (me!) with namespro.ca

pretty slick, fast and smooth. free e-mail account, $6.88 lifetime whois privacy,
    excellent price.

so far, so good.

the friggin CIRA is a pain in the ars* though.

i forgot about that crap - been so long since i've had a .ca

of course, it doesn't matter what registrar you use, the CIRA WILL OVERSEE IT.

12. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    What's the problem with the CIRA?

13. DomainLoot

DomainLoot Guest

Best Answers:
    Admin, admin, admin...

Extra usernames/passwords, more e-mails...

* I do like the idea of "policing" the .ca for Canadians only *

BUREAUCRACY!

DomainLoot, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  14. anusha

anusha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't they charge over 29 dollars for a .ca domain...?

Anusha

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

F R E E Domain Name

anusha, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  15. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Anusha,

They whom? domainsatcost.ca charges around $12. I still have not been able to beat that.

NewComputer, Apr 28, 2005 IP
  16. kevin1234

kevin1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've recently dealt with some of the cira policies and can give you an idea of what was wrong.....

The most important thing wrong with cira is access, if you are not considered a registrar, then you have no access to your domain - this includes email addresses or dns server changes (compare that with a .com registrar like netsol.com where you could have these kinds of changes done online and very quickly).

Another very wrong thing with them is their registration and change policies. If your email address is stale (on their records) and you need to change it - you must go through you your registrar (who presumably checks the registration information) and then they send it to CIRA. In this kind of scenario you have a number of things that happen like the registrar offering old forms and cira rejecting them (that happened to me).

The forms themselves require you go through a passport-like process to change information. This process requires you have a professional or notary republic (there is a list) to sign as a witness.. this is just a joke..

Even for worse, if you had registered under a company name, cira requires registration details for the old company name - if this doesn't exist, your out of luck.

Then, another thing about the CIRA (and why imho they should just be completely disbanded), they have built up an insular process keeping you from controlling your information through the use of peripheral registrars and companies. This not only increases the cost for us all, but increases the complexity. Let me give you an example:

You want a .ca domain, but you need dns services and a hosting company, so you (as an example) go to look.ca - look registers your domain through Tucows and keeps a Technical Contact in your domain. in this scenario you have three different companies that control your domain:

CIRA - wont talk to you without the full forms
    Tucows - will pass their forms on, but wont change anything or talk to look
    Look - will enact an email message with your login to change dns details, but only to the email address on hand by cira

This seems to be the preferred process by cira, keeping them protected from us peons and ensuring your domain stays down for weeks at a time while you attempt to change a simple email address...

FYI,
    Kevin

kevin1234, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  17. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    I have never had any issues of which you speak K1234. I am surprised you have that much trouble.

NewComputer, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  18. sandossu

sandossu Guest

Best Answers:
    sandossu, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  19. Freebies

Freebies Peon

Best Answers:
    I just noticed the original post was more than a year old before this was resurrected.

Registerfly is not an actual registrar and if you do reg a .ca there you still must open an account with Cira.

Best wishes,
    Kimmy

Freebies, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  20. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, .ca are a bruden if you need *quick* changes all because if CIRA

I hve had a .ca for a few years, hosting it on my own servers. I decided to outsource the hosting to a different companyh than who i reg'd through. took a bloody 3 days for the changes to take. lost three days of revenue, potentially damaged the site's rep with search.

its bullshit, and their policies and beureacracy is not up to date/par with today;s speed and technology. It may have flew in 1999 but not now.

grobar, Jul 9, 2006 IP