1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Credit Card Processor Info

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Blonde Jon, Sep 20, 2006.

Okay, a while back I was asking about credit card processors. I need some more info. I currently use Paypal virtual terminal to accept orders over the phone. I had an issue a while back where a customers card was declined for no apparent reason. Today we had it happen with 2 customers. It's frustrating me to say the least. But anyhow, I found out the major problem we are having. Most customers who own a business credit card or government credit card have no clue what there billing address is. The customer doesn't give you the right address and bam, the credit card is declined. I'm now on the hunt for real this time for a better merchant account.

Does anyone have a merchant account/ credit card processor that does not require you to input the customer's billing address? I talked with a friend of mine and he gets his service through his local bank. They only require the credit card number and expiration date. His bank is not in my state and the fees are kind of high 3.9% per transactions with no monthly costs though. Anyone else know of credit card processor like this?

Blonde Jon, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  2. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried worldpay now I cannot guarantee that they will do exactly what you need, but some of these processors, after the initial payment has been received with all the correct data. Will action the follow on orders for the same CC by just entering the CC# and the expiration date.
    I think they will offer this service take a look
    http://www.worldpay.com/
    Good luck:)

britishguy, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    AVS (Address Verification) is required on all card not present transactions, which is a Visa and Mastercard requirement. Technically your friend is not processing according to Visa and Mastercard guidelines, which is illegal no matter what his bank says, unless he is submitting AVS and just ignoring the response.

With that being said, it is 'possible' on a traditional merchant account to process a transaction but not decline it for an AVS mismatch. If you do this, you can open yourself up to a lot of fraud, so I wouldn't recommend it, but the possibility does exist. Also I think the regulation states that AVS must be used on all transactions, but it doesn't say whether you need to refuse in any particular situation.

You basically need to get a traditional online merchant account, and use a virtual terminal or payment gateway to process your cards. I would recommend authorize.net in this situation. It will give you the ability to completely control which AVS responses you choose to decline.

With an online merchant account, you should be able to find a rate in the 2.15 - 2.35% range fairly easily assuming that your business is in the US and is not considered high risk.

jestep, Sep 20, 2006 IP
    britishguy and Blonde Jon like this.
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good advice, we will be knocking on your profile when we want info too thanks:)

britishguy, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  5. Blonde Jon

Blonde Jon Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I talked with my local bank that I have a buisness account with. They have a virtual terminal that I can use for $7 a month with no other monthly fees. I can get a 2.25% rate for the amount of sales we have. I'm going to get some more info from them tomorrow to make sure I can set the AVS controls like jestep is saying.

Are there advantages with using authorize.net over my local bank?

Blonde Jon, Sep 21, 2006 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Unless your local bank is huge, they wont have their own gateway / virtual terminal. They probably use authorize.net, network merchants or another similar gateway, so it is unlikely that there will be any difference.

jestep, Sep 21, 2006 IP
  7. Blonde Jon

Blonde Jon Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info jestep

Blonde Jon, Sep 21, 2006 IP