1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Commie Google trying to mess us over again

Discussion in 'Google' started by David26, Jun 25, 2010.

Yeah Google offers great services but the more power Google is obtaining the more they are making our lives more difficult. I do not think it is wise for everyone to obey the Google Regime. They have the worst customer service yet the most power on the internet. I just received this email:

Why do they care that regular people are trying to put food on their table by legally offering a service that is in demand?

David26, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  2. drgeorgep

drgeorgep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi David ... points well taken. I long wonder how g could allow ads that contravened its TOS, such as selling links. Guess it found a way to replace the revenue.I also wonder, as you imply, how site owners can't understand g makes many times what she or he makes for building and maintaining a web site. Why don't they understand they're working for g, not themselves. Keep thinking.

drgeorgep, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  3. eyashwant

eyashwant Active Member

Best Answers:
    They earn by adwords. SEO is again them then. So soon do you think they will suspend all seo ads in adwords...

Hmm, I would suggest go for yahoo or others who do not try to dominate

eyashwant, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  4. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Their house, their rules.
    If you don't like Google, nobody forces you to have anything to do with them.
    But the only reason people buy links is to try and manipulate Google results, so be grateful to them if you've made money from that in the past, but can you really be surprised if they don't want to encourage that as business model?

magda, Jun 25, 2010 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  5. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    Google's main product is their SERPS. They have a corporate responsibility to protect that product, in the interests of their shareholders. Anything done to try and 'game' the SERPS screws with their main product, so frankly, this has been a long time coming.

They already ban sites unilaterally for link pimping. Hence the 3 way, 4 way, 5 way, link wheel ... etc developments in linking. And the countermeasures from Big G. As the prev poster said, their house, their rules.

contentboss, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  6. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think google have good point there.. coz its unfair for others.. since buying and selling links is really against there guidelines..

but if you can read there guidelines more carefully.. it state there that:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66736

bogs, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  7. daotrades

daotrades Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry for newbiness of this question, but knowing diddly squat about Google's role in our lives as IMers, aside from this new change in how G views paid for links, was there a rumor about G changing it's guidelines on long tail keywords....if there's already a thread on that, someone put me out of my misery and direct me there.....

thanks in advance

daotrades, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  8. JohnnyHal

JohnnyHal Peon

Best Answers:
    working in a world dominated by google is much like having to go to court for a traffic ticket. you can contest it all you like, but the more you show the judge attitude, the more he sticks to the original decision & the less progress you make. we're all stuck in the same boat & kind of just have to roll with the punches and adapt to the changes that are made.

JohnnyHal, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  9. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    They don't have the rights to stop anything legal, selling links brings benefits to both parties, (but not to google)
    Governments they make adds to let citizen stop smoking, but they allow selling cigarettes to people who are not convinced.
    If Google will keep growing and takes more market share in this business, we will be just slaves and followers.
    You are happy with google now, just think what if they got more share, and they start converting their guidelines into rules (I can see they started already)

decno1, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  10. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    I''m pleased that they are stopping promotion of link selling, it avoids the internet being stacked with websites that have little value just because they have the financial muscle to buy links

lightlysalted, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  11. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They're not stopping anyone buying or selling links, they just saying they won't advertise it on their site. It's like if your sister decided to sell pin-up pictures of herself in a bikini - she's got every right to do it, but you don't have to have a full color ad of her in her scanties on your site.

Except this situation comes with the added irony that the only reason anyone wants to buy the pictures of your sister in a bikini, is bacause they think it'll get them a blog post on your 'sisters in bikinis' site.

magda, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  12. decno1

decno1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    of course I will not approve this, but if your sister will sell her pictures in a bikini, in my website I would agree and being thankful, especially she will pay me money for her addsense, plus am doing favor to the public.
    Right?

decno1, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  13. carleisenstein

carleisenstein Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to chuckle that you're describing one of the most successful American companies ever as "communist"...! Especially since it's increasingly less communist as the years go buy - and increasingly more of a capitalist Goliath.

Google makes most of it's revenue from Adwords, but the only reason that's been successful is because it has historically provided the best search results out there - and consumer perception is that it still does. You're selling services that will negatively affect that delicate situation - and Google's hurting because they still haven't come up with a way to effectively eradicate the effectiveness of paid links. And you're advertising these services on Google...

You probably should have seen it coming - Google is king of it's domain but it's facing stiff competition. It's still only making most of its money from search and it's getting increasingly hardline in it's efforts to protect it's position. Especially in the years since the IPO. If Google could sue link sellers, then they would.

It's the opposite of communism - it's pure capitalism, and it's trying it's hardest to bite you in the ass! And it will keep trying! :)

carleisenstein, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  14. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh I didn't realize that this topic received so many replies... going to read them all now.

David26, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  15. hefe

hefe Member

Best Answers:
    I think the "commie" thing is a bit melodramatic, but Google does have the distinct swagger of a monopoly. Wish the search engine market share was less skewed.

hefe, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  16. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google is a publicly traded corporation accountable to its stockholders to maximize profits. That's how capitalism works. It's not "commie" at all.

Personally, both as a user and as a webmaster, I have no major complaints against Google.

Jim4767, Jul 5, 2010 IP