1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Taking on a persona ?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by asdfc, Jun 25, 2010.

Hi, I was reading a book about blogging to earn money, where it is suggested that you take on a persona that applies to the market you are trying to get in to. He also suggests that you use an image of this person. So my question is, is it legal to pretend to be someone else on your blog ? And what picture could you pick, I mean is it really legal to just pick a picture off of google and pretend to be that person ?

asdfc, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you are not doing it for illegal purposes, adopting a pen name is an old and recognized custom. Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) did it. Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) did it. Ben Franklin did it. C.S. Lewis did it. Some historians think that William Shakespeare was a pen name. Some men have written romance novels under a female pen name to make their books more appealing to the mostly-women constituency who buy those books.

One question I would ask, though, is whether the blog readers would feel cheated or lied to if they knew the truth? If so, then you should rethink whether that is a good way to build readership.

Business Attorney, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  3. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, you need express permission to use any photograph you didn't take. Using someone else's picture without permission is a good way to get sued. Use your own photo with a pseudonym.

mjewel, Jun 25, 2010 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  4. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    Many people will be willing to sell you a pic of themselves to use - just a suggestion :)

alexispetrov, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  5. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Of course you can use an alternate identity. It's been done since the beginning of writing. Using someone else's picture and representing your self as them, could get you..will get you sued if you get caught.

I don't think the author meant for you to steal someones identity, and if he did, I would follow any other advice in that book.

hmansfield, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  6. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    surely you mean would NOT follow

lcwadminbj, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  7. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I meant Would Not.

hmansfield, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  8. alexifa

alexifa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One reason to use a pseudonym might be that you are writing on a topic that is specific to one gender. For example, if you are writing about pregnancy and are a man, you might choose to use a female pen name so as to avoid having your credibility called into question based on your gender. I have done this in the past, although today I prefer to stamp my own name on my writing, knowing that I may lose some more close-minded readers.

alexifa, Jun 30, 2010 IP
  9. coldcoder

coldcoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think the author meant for you to steal

coldcoder, Jul 15, 2010 IP