1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

adsense and multiple clicks from same address

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by jlawrence, Apr 13, 2005.

Hi,
    I'm thinking of putting adsense on one of my sites, for once I think it likely that if the ads are targetted correctly then they would actually be of use to many of our registered users (rather than visitors from SEs).
    The site is for my local cricket club and many of our regular users often buy cricket related stuff from internet sites. However, I know that we have quite a few users who are on AOL (and access through their proxies) and as such show in the logs as all coming from the same IP address.
    I've heard that if an IP address clicks on a link more than a specific number of times, then those clicks are discounted - anyone know if this is true (if so then there's no potential problem). This must be a potential problem for many sites, does anyone know what the current situation with google is on this is ?
    We have about 300 memebers on our site, and of those probably about 25 (or so) use AOL. As the cricket seasons starts, I can see situations where there could well be perhaps 10 clicks in a week from the AOL users and I really don't want to risk my adsense account - but targetted adsense ad's could well be of interest to our users.

I don't have any worries with accidentally click ads (even though I spend a lot of time on the site) as I can code the site not to display ads to my address range.
    I don't imagine much revenue coming from the site as we don't get many casual visitors (about 500 uniques a month of with 300 are normally members).

Any one any advice ?

jlawrence, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  2. redking

redking Member

Best Answers:
    Personally, I don't think you should worry if you're getting only 200 new, unique visitors a day. However, Google does have a algorithm to determine a unique click. AdSense requires Javascript and Javascript can be used to pass information about the client (websurfer) to the server (Google).

Bottom line is don't worry about AOL users. They'll be counted correctly.

redking, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  3. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    I tend to aggree with redking, jlawrence. However, if you are really concerned it would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth.

Maybe it would be an idea to email Google your concerns BEFORE activating this channel/ account.

I would hate to see you take some advice hear and find out Google has different advice...just my thoughts :)

Homer, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  4. www.AmCy.org

www.AmCy.org American CyberSpace®

Best Answers:
    It's 100% true, in my experience anyway. But AS is sophisticated enough know that you aren't doing anything that breaks the rules.

AmCy

www.AmCy.org, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  5. maverick

maverick Peon

Best Answers:
    Its perfectly alright friend. Dont worry!! Google can find who is doing false clicks. Its intelligent enough not to punish people like you. Yes, the ones who are crying saying their accounts are blocked, must have done something punishable.

maverick, Apr 13, 2005 IP
    jlawrence likes this.
  6. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Mav - that's what I thought, nice to see everyone else thinks the same.

I suppose that my main concern was that this would be the first site I've ever put adsense on where the vast majority of users are multiple repeat visitors. I've never thought much about repeat clicks from people out on the 'net - always gone out of my way to avoid any clicks from my IP range.
    Thinking about it, it makes a huge amount of sense that google knows how to check multiple clicks (and hence when to penalise and when not to).

jlawrence, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  7. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using adsense tracker and sometimes I notice a number of clicks from a single IP. It's typically is 20 seconds to two minutes between clicks. I am amazed that someone would click on an ad on my site and then hit the back button and hit another ad. I assume it has been going on like this for almost two years and G has never commented to me about it.

I'll probably blog something about it (keeping within Google's TOS) because it's interesting how others surf the web.

tbarr60, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  8. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd imagine that that is the way most of us surf.
    If we're looking for something specific, go to a SE, then to a site, read the site, see a couple of possibly useful links out from that site, visit one, find it's not useful and click the back button then visit another link.
    One thing that needs to be remembered is that most people don't understand what adsense links are, that just think that they are links on the page.

jlawrence, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  9. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    Not only do they throw out the repeated clicks, but they may also throw out your account as well. I would be very careful. I think sakh got banned for similar reasong due to having too many people in an IP range click his ads because he goes to a university where the IP range is the same.

paymentapprovaltooslow, Apr 15, 2005 IP