1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO Top 10 on very competitive keyword

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by aquaffect, Jun 17, 2010.

I own a web design studio i`m trying to get my site on top 10 results under keyword New York Web Design. I`m currently o page #2 the last one you can see www.Aquaffect.com site its either last one on page 2 or 1st on page 3. So as you can see that keyword is very competitive I see big sharks on top 10 so my question is this I have bought links on good web design directory site so I guess it brought me up to top 20 however is there anyyyyyyyythinggggggggggg possible that can help my SEO to go up besides building links? or building links is like the only way to go up on google?

Oh and also i wanted to know is there a way to see which keywords are being mostly used on google? for example can i somehow see if new york web design keyword is highly use keyword ? or any other keywords?

Thank You

aquaffect, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  2. SEOArbiter

SEOArbiter Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite simply, you just need to build more links and utilize the Google Adwords Tool.

Here are a few tips:
    •It’s all about links, links, and more links!
    •Be sure to include the keyword in the anchor text [or clickable text] of your links.
    •Stick to one link-building method and strive to do at least 50 to 100 links per month using ONLY that method.

SEOArbiter, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  3. carleisenstein

carleisenstein Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with SEOArbiter on the anchor text, I'm less convinced by the "stick to one link-building method". Google doesn't just look for a lot of links, but also a natural link profile. For a different perspective:

1) Make sure your on page factors are well optimised to that term - are you using that term (and similar terms) regularly in your content? Even in stuff like image ALT tags, link TITLE tags, your page title, H1 tags etc. Don't get spammy with it - but try to fit it in naturally.
    2) Build links using a wide range of methods - not just directory sites or forums, but anywhere you can, to build a natural link profile.
    3) Add content to your site that's relevant. Maybe start a little blog talking about New York web design. Don't be scared to link out to relevant, high quality sites that are on a similar theme.
    4) Try to get involved in the New York web design community and make your site an authority on that.
    5) Get links!! Whatever you can - think laterally. Can you do some PR, do you have some cool stuff that you've done that you can put on your site and promote in social bookmarking or social networking sites, are there partners, suppliers or clients that you work with who will link to you?

It's a big challenge to get there and stay there permanently, but if you've chosen the right keyword then it will be worth it.

Be sure you've chosen the right keyword though - there's no point getting to number one if there's no traffic. Compare the traffic on that term to similar terms using Google Insights for Search: http://www.google.com/insights/search/

carleisenstein, Jun 17, 2010 IP
    twiztedX3 likes this.
  4. aquaffect

aquaffect Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wanna say thanks so much you very very helpful however i have one question regarding the http://www.google.com/insights/ i typed new york web design and i see # 100 what is that means it means 100 times only its been searched? or how does it work exactly
    Thank You

aquaffect, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  5. tuba

tuba Member

Best Answers:
    Does we need to optimize regularly to stay at top?

tuba, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  6. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    You just need more links from good sources. Also set up your DP signature. They will help alot as you use this site more.

Also, run the keyword phrase thru Google's Adwords Keyword generator to see if you will really get traffic with that phrase or is there a better form to us.

catanich, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  7. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There are 3,600 global monthly searches for the exact phrase "new york web design". Use the google adwords tool to research other terms.

mjewel, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  8. falguni1

falguni1 Peon

Best Answers:
    blog commenting will definitely help.

falguni1, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  9. twiztedX3

twiztedX3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlinks, Backlinks and Backlinks. You need to use Anchor Text on sites that allow you to post it. You must be able to link on forums, blogs and websites that allow dofollow.

Dofollow isn't 100% going to help you. Here is the goal, the more links you build pointing to your site the higher you elevate your blog to be relevant to that keyword.

Make sure you use "Anchor text" which should be the keyword phrase your trying to rank for. Overall, All you need to do is make sure you get those backlinks pointing to your site with the "keyword" in anchor format.

twiztedX3, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  10. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am with mjewel on this one. It is quite rare that marketing yourself online locally for web dev. or design related stuff is even remotely useful.

I would venture to guess that most of the stats or(3600) is folks looking for themselves for instance

hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  11. actionplanbiz

actionplanbiz Member

Best Answers:
    you need a meta description. and make sure you enter your keyword in the meta description at least once

actionplanbiz, Jun 19, 2010 IP
  12. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinks, backlinks, backlinks as said before and location, location, location.

pandorasbox, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  13. lr89

lr89 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am 100% with carleisenstein, you need a global approach. Links are important but they are not enough. Follow his recommendations and you will succeed

lr89, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  14. SEOibiza

SEOibiza Peon

Best Answers:
    yep I think that is primarily the case too, the only people looking for that are those new york web designers who don't understand seo too well themselves.

SEOibiza, Jun 20, 2010 IP
  15. u4mee

u4mee Banned

Best Answers:
    As you can read about in the article entitled SEO: The Seven Deadly Sins, the popularity of your page given a certain search term is not only based on the number and quality of the inbound links, but in great measure on the anchor text used for that inbound link. In fact, there are those in the SEO community who feel that solid anchor text link within incoming links will bring you straight to the top for that keyword or phrase.

u4mee, Jun 22, 2010 IP