Bloggers. Who do you worry about pleasing first, Google, or Readers?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by hmansfield, Jun 15, 2010.

I ask this question because very few question on this forum are ever about building a great blog, content, or engaging readers. Most are about how to please Google, gain page rank, and increase position in the SERP's, or tricks to help to that affect.

So do you spend more time worrying about position and page rank, or pleasing readers?

hmansfield, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  2. talkingfootball.net

talkingfootball.net Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends the purpose of the site.

talkingfootball.net, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Can you explain a little more?

hmansfield, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  4. Youtube_Provider

Youtube_Provider Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say Google.. Although usually in pleasing google you end up pleasing the readers. Kapeche?

Youtube_Provider, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  5. wordpressthemescc

wordpressthemescc Guest

Best Answers:
    I think this is just personal strategy. Do you think you get good traffic from Google, then you please Google, otherwise, you will please the user it.

wordpressthemescc, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  6. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think that's true. If all of your efforts go to Google, you may GET readers, but you will not retain them and it will be a constant battle to get new readers.[Working Hard]

The internet is no different from Radio or Television.

If networks concentrated more on heavy rotation and syndication of their shows, instead of the actual quality of the show...sure, it would be playing on more stations so inevitably people will channel surf by it every now and then, but no one would be watching it.

If no one is watching the show, then the show can't sell advertisement.

It's easy to get people to look at something once..that's concentrating on Google. You can pick that up on a ton of blogs and tutorials.

I think the real talent is getting them to come back regularly and tell others.[Working Smart]

I'd be interested to know of the people that please the readers second, what your bounce rate is. How much time do people actually spend on your sites and what your CTR is.

hmansfield, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  7. srinivasmbbs

srinivasmbbs Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO and Google first.. They are the ones who bring traffic.. then offer a pleasant experience to readers.. thats the way i do it.

Have a look @ seo-board forum i have created @ bookbing[dot]org

srinivasmbbs, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  8. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Interesting. It seems a lot of people think this way.

I guess I'm the opposite. SEO is constant. Anyone can do it, it's just time consuming, but before I get any traffic, I want to make sure that I am ready for every single one of them and that they all will be return visitors, if the site is nice and 100%, even with a little traffic, the visitors will do SEO for you. They will link to you.

I have a new site, with little to no SEO at the moment, but traffic has been a consistent 700+ visitors a day since the first week I put it live. Why? Because a few people saw it, and featured it in an article.
    You can't get that kind of love if you don't worry about the readers first. That was easy traffic for me without any SEO and a decent place to start.

And this isn't the first time that it has happened.

I'm not bragging or showing off or anything..I need a lot more traffic than that.... just showing the importance of being 100% before people see the site, not after. If it's not appealing to readers right away, you may never get another chance to get a review, or link.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    hmansfield, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  9. jason12390

jason12390 Peon

Best Answers:
    depends on the blog I'm posting on. Most of the time I try and post content more to entertain/inform the reader. If the reader likes your post you there is a good chance they may social it around for you. If you right quality content it should also do well in the Search Engines. Depends to what kind of marketing you are focusing on, if you focus more on social then you are going to want to write or your readers over Google.

jason12390, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  10. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think you will find that if your goal is to provide good content and please readers, the secondary benefit is google love.

dcristo, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  11. indrianto

indrianto Active Member

Best Answers:
    First, depend on your site goal. Second, the readers is the most important. Third, think about SEO optimized.

indrianto, Jun 17, 2010 IP