1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PageRank sucks... newbies: Get it high quick!

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by itsall3, Sep 19, 2006.

I'm sick of my site not being able to do certain things because of pagerank :mad:

Let's just say this before i start, my site has a PR2 --
    It's got loads of backlinks
    It gets 2000 uniques a day (9000+ hits)
    It's been around since 2004
    It's got loads of content, and 40% of the visitors stay for longer then 10mins (which isnt bad)

BUT, dispite what i think makes it a good site, because google dont keep their PageRank up-to-date, and many older sites have been overlooked for updates, my site remains unable to say, do a link exchange with a site that google just decided, "hey, www.MFA@rubbish.com you can have a PR5, your sites 4 days old, and has 3 backlinks, there you go!")

My site just got turned down by text link ads; it has a alexa rating of 184,019 -- there are LOADs of sites on tla that have a much worse pagerank, and, im gussing a lot less traffic, but because google decided (for whatever reason) that the site deserved a PR5 -- it's welcome anywhere, it can sell links, it can do link exchanges, which, in the future, if the site owner is quick, could really help it keep that undeserved pagrank just by swaping links with true PR5 sites.

So, thats my rant today :) -- if anyone is reading this who is just getting started, dont belive what anyone says, PageRank is VERY important. forget all them "page rank means nothing and its just the way google rates you site" -- no matter what people say, unless google ranks your site, knowbody else will. Get your backlinks setup quick! forget PR0 < 2 directories, just get 50+ decent directorie listings, and in the next PR update, you'll have a nice rank, and you can start swapping links with real PR sites, and you'll keep your rank, letting you sell links, and exchange even more. content, visitors, mean FA.

ok, so NOW my rant is over ;)

Cheers.

itsall3, Sep 19, 2006 IP
    mopacfan likes this.
  2. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    you can still do a 3-way trade. ;)

bentong, Sep 19, 2006 IP
    mvandemar likes this.
  3. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Pagerank is important. The links you place on a higher PR page will give a boost to those websites and will help them achieve higher rankings.
    Yes PR does matter. Otherwise, Google would not be wasting its time with it.

Try to buy links from higher PR websites. It will help you achieve a higher PR and get higher ranking.

ablaye, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  4. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What ever you've said about PR is true. Even with a PR 5 site, sometimes you wish you had a PR 6 or PR 7. We're trying to optimize one of our sites for some highly competitive keywords, and we're stuck on page 2 on Google. (positions 12 and 13 to be exact), Yahoo and MSN are showing us on page 1 for the same keywords, thanks to the links we've got.

All we need is a boost in PR to get to the first page on Google. Sometimes its so frustrating to see all the Big PR 6 and 7 guys sitting comfortably on the SERPs, getting loads of traffic daily. We have constantly been working on getting links etc, and waiting for the site to move to PR 6. Lets hope it happens soon :p

:)

rosiee007, Sep 19, 2006 IP
    mvandemar likes this.
  5. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google don't really waste their time with it. I remember when PR used to update pretty much monthly, whereas now we see quarterly updates if we're lucky. The toolbar PR that we see is months behind 'real' PR, so much so that it's pretty much useless.

I'd argue that relevancy and themeing are much more important, both in terms of ranking and link building and also of importance to Google.

The only time PR does matter is as Itsall says, when webmasters place too much importance on it.

Those big PR6 and 7 sites are probably sitting high in the SERPS because of their age. I could make a PR7 site within the next six months or so with enough cash, but the chances are it wouldn't rank well. Age is currently a massive factor, and although old sites can be out-ranked, your job isn't going to be easy.

MattUK, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  6. Grokodile

Grokodile Peon

Best Answers:
    Even if this statement was true, there is no denying the fact that the world is placing importance on it.

Why fight against reality so much?

Grokodile, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  7. Wouter

Wouter Peon

Best Answers:
    Pagerank, the opium of the webmasters.

Pagerank is based on the quantity of backlinks, search results are partly based on the quality of backlinks.

Wouter, Sep 19, 2006 IP
    mvandemar likes this.
  8. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't, I just go ahead and ignore PR an get IBLs from on-topic sites and get my top 3 rankings in Google. The more webmasters that are hung-up on PR the better as it makes my job easier.

Not true, PR is based on the pagerank of incoming links. One PR7 link can get you a PR6, and I can tell you now that you won't rank for anything competitive with that.
    Pagerank completely ignores quantity of links, anchor text relevance, link quality and page topic.

MattUK, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  9. itsall3

itsall3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thats just it matey -- why is the world placing so much importance on it?

It means bubkiss. It doesnt make you rank higher in the search results, it dosnt make you get more visitors -- in reality it means nothing to anyone but google. But dispite this, its the main "rank" that seems to be important to other webmasters, and to services/people who buy your links.

Thats all im saying, to much is put on it. -- if anything, because of the importance of PageRank, google should atleast keep it updated regually.

New sites that are just lucky to have 40+ backlinks when the updates are done shouldnt be given a pagerank that takes it above established sites and because of the way google updates, that site keeps it rank with no more work on it for months.

Admitidly, it doesnt mean anything, my site gets visitors, it makes money, and is prob doing better then most PR4/PR5 arcade games site that just opened last month -- just what does my head in is when site owners who have been given this link for nothing will not accept links into directories because of pagerank, or allow link exchanges, or cannot sell links because of it, etc.

itsall3, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  10. Dudibob

Dudibob Peon

Best Answers:
    PR is a very vague way of monitoring popularity, it helps but is 1 factor of over 100 so don't concentrate just on it, many people have crased and burned from chasing PR.

Dudibob, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  11. Rasputin

Rasputin Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but...you want to sell text links, you say.

So you can hardly blame others for being defensive with their PR, however irrational it might be - surely they are just trying to do the same, and know that every link to a PR0-2 site costs them a link exchange with a higher PR site or a sold link?

Not saying its right but that's life. And if you become a PR5 next month, selling links through text-link-ads - I wonder how you will respond when I come along with a PR0 site looking for a link exchange?

Rasputin, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  12. hoprofit

hoprofit Peon

Best Answers:
    Correct. I second that. Early bird catch the worm. The one who create the latest technology will be milionare. Same case apply to the one who create the industry. Note that those high pr sites can sit high because they are around for several years. In other word, they are leader. :D

hoprofit, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  13. TorchedSEO

TorchedSEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    its simple really, just buy a link from a pr6+

TorchedSEO, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  14. itsall3

itsall3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    that would be fine if google actually botherd to update older sites PR, but like i said, mines always been stuck at PR2 -- the prediction says it should be PR5

I made a new site, it had like 10 pages, and its got a PR4!!! its just such a crazy system. I've done nothing with this site -- my main arcade site, i've updated, added links, and nothing. zip. same PR.

Saying that though TorchedSEO, it shows you how utterly worthless PR is if just buying a couple of PR6+ links imrpoves your PR.

itsall3, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  15. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that just shows the folly of using a PR prediction tool. There's no such thing as 'predicting' PR, only Google knows.

MattUK, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  16. loon

loon Guest

Best Answers:
    well... indeed page rank very important... but somehow very hard to predict it... it just like yesterday, i do all the article posting, forum posting, and more but when i check today... my search result drop from 66700 to 63600. Somehow people told me it might because of getting source from different data centre but what more can i do... a day before yesterday was 71300

poor loon

loon, Sep 19, 2006 IP