1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

wii-underdogs.com - 200 visits, 0 signups - problem?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by aboyd, Sep 15, 2006.

I didn't think I needed a site review of www.wii-underdogs.com, but I am wrong apparently. I ran some MySpace bulletins last month, got a few hundred visitors and a few dozen new members. Seemed fine. But during the Nintendo conferences (Sept 13-15), I've run Google ads -- 200 visitors came to the site, but not a single person became a member.

What is my site doing wrong?

http://www.wii-underdogs.com/

-Tony

aboyd, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  2. prestons

prestons Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Tony,

Two things instantly stuck me. As soon as the website appears all you see is the Google Adsense at the very top. I would move this elsewhere. The second thing is where you have got "You should register (it's free) or login. Here is why you should register." it could do with making a little bolder as it does not stand out. You need your browsers to be presented clearly with the words 'register' and 'free'.

prestons, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  3. tpn87

tpn87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Tony,

I also have a Wii forum and I have found running contests does wonders for getting people to sign up.

I also give free tshirts to members once they reach a certain post count (got this idea from Lee Dodd).

-tpn87

tpn87, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  4. MTbiker

MTbiker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would move the adsense into two smaller units, one in the header with the logo and one on the left or right. I think that would be better integrated and free up some valuable space at the top.

When I looked for the register link I didn't even see it for a while! I just pass up that gray bar thinking it is a horizontal rule. Definitely needs some more contrast for the text :)

MTbiker, Sep 16, 2006 IP
  5. melol2

melol2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Move the top leaderboard to the bottom. And just make the register button stand out such as making it a different color or a border.

melol2, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  6. Negyxo

Negyxo Member

Best Answers:
    You need to make your forum a center of discussion in a specific matter that will cause readers to get passionate about the subject. This passion will lead to new members. You need to enhance the exposure of your forum as a forum and not simply an element of your site. Good luck! (forums are a bitch, arn't they?)

(ohif you guys are interesed, shameless plug here: wii-topsites.com)

Negyxo, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  7. Heidi

Heidi Peon

Best Answers:
    It took me a while to find where to register. If you want members make that the focus. I would move the AdSense and then make that space your capture area for people to sign up for the forum. Make sure they feel like they will benefit from signing up.

I'm not a gamer...I think the last video game I played was Pitfall. Anyway, people are confused and want answers, make them feel like they will have their needs met you will have an explosion of members.

My 2 cents...

Heidi

Heidi, Sep 18, 2006 IP
  8. intiendes

intiendes Peon

Best Answers:
    i checked your site at different browsers using browsercam.com and found error on this one:
    [​IMG]
    as you can see it is not aligned properly ... it is somehow distorted.

intiendes, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  9. Kokiri Kid

Kokiri Kid Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a problem with my site too. BUT people dont want to join a forum that has no members! Its a stupid cycle i know! BUT true.

Once you have a few members you'll do fine as the site looks ok :)

Kokiri Kid, Sep 21, 2006 IP
  10. MakZF

MakZF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Advertise your forums a bit more on your site. Have a banner linking to the forum or register page in the header or something, it helps.
    Also yeah, move the google elsewhere, the moment I saw the site my attention derived from it.

MakZF, Sep 21, 2006 IP
  11. webbiz123

webbiz123 Peon

Best Answers:
    The largest factor is Sign Up is almost hidden!!!!!

webbiz123, Sep 21, 2006 IP
  12. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to come back in to say thank you all soooooooooo much for the advice. I am terribly grateful, and will spend the coming weeks doing some revisions to fix exactly the issues you've outlined. Thank you again. Thank you a lot.

-Tony

aboyd, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  13. ebooks-max

ebooks-max Banned

Best Answers:
    Contests is a very good way to get members

Also if you want extra advertising

these people can posts good reviews and ads on forums quality posts no spam www.adminpalace.com

ebooks-max, Oct 3, 2006 IP