1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where is the line for hidden text?

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by yfs1, Apr 12, 2005.

1. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    I had a relook at the site and I now see what all the "fuss" is about. I thought the reference was the very bottom link of the page "Real Estate Guide" which shows up (for me) in #CCCCCC color (light gray), and quite visible to me.

After relooking at the site, I see (almost) what the reference is. The links in question are just a shade red lighter than the red background. Obviously I missed them the first time, thinking the very bottom link was the issue. I kept thinking "what the hell is all the fuss over a light gray link" (the very bottom link), but see now it's the red on red. I missed entirely what the fuss was about when I first viewed the site this morning.

Now that I see it, my original post on page two is incorrect.

GTech, Apr 12, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:

fryman, Apr 12, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    lol - that was too good! I more than deserved that one! Now I can't stop laughing :D

GTech, Apr 12, 2005 IP
  4. michail1

michail1 Peon

Best Answers:
    So, a site that has hidden links (like that one obviously has) has to go through what proceedure? It's obviously hidden from the typical person. So, does it take weeks to get booted? Why not have a notification proceedure to warn and give a time frame to have them adjust it. People like me, that have little to no weight yet, have an ad put on their site means zero. I might as well just put an ad in the newspaper. Yes, it would cost, but I don't have to worry about the newpaper company printing black on black.

michail1, Apr 12, 2005 IP
  5. asamuel

asamuel Peon

Best Answers:
    Firstly thank you to whoever kindly sent me an email to let me know people were discussing my site!!!

I am the webmaster for access-investment-property.com and I am amazed at the response from other members in regards to this issue.

I was of the understanding that hidden text is exactly that "HIDDEN" i.e. you cant see it. On my monitor there is a clear difference between the two red colours and thus in my opinion users can clearly see an ad to click on it. I take on board peoples opinions regarding these colours as we all have different monitors and some people may not be able to distingush the ads as clearly.

I came into this network as I knew the added benefits of showing peoples ads would allow beneficial rankings in the serps. I believe that that traffic is limited and not targeted when it comes to clickthroughts from other coop members sites?!

I will change the colour to a more visible red and would appreciate some feedback as to whether this is acceptable, please!

asamuel, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Thanks for explaining yourself. It was never my intention to create this thread merely to "out" someone. This issue of "obscured" text is becoming more and more signifigant and your site was just used as an example.

Why not just make them White like the other partner links?

Many of us make a good amount of money through Click throughs and because this is an "Advertising Network" this will still be part of the focus no matter what the SERP benefit.

Cheers

yfs1, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  7. asamuel

asamuel Peon

Best Answers:
    yfs1 I understand that I was not the only one with hidden text as the issue. I dont want to get up peoples noses regarding this issue, sorry if I have annoyed a number of members, but I have rectified this issue now with an off pink colour which clearly stands out...let me know if you think this is acceptable.I dont want to use white as these ads are not part of my theme i.e. real estate and I want it to be obvious to what they are...so a subtle change in colour is the best design element...I feel!

I do get annoyed with all these people saying kick him out of the network and tell Shawn about this issue...I admit this is a grey area and I might have been on the line with my choice of colour, but let me explain myself instead of grouping me in with real spammers and black hats please....People are all too quick to judge, why dont you wait until the offender explains themeselves!!

asamuel, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Why don't you just make them white like the rest of the text??? They are still very hard to see. Actually, I can't even notice any diference with the last color.

fryman, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  9. asamuel

asamuel Peon

Best Answers:
    fryman I explained why I dont want them to be white in the post above...

The colours are significantly different from darkish red to light pink, have you refreshed your browser??

asamuel, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  10. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    It is just as if you are looking for a way to continue blending your coop ads into the background.

Yes, I have refreshed my browser, and yes, the links are still almost hidden.

fryman, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  11. asamuel

asamuel Peon

Best Answers:
    how do people feel about light grey on a white background seeing as this is such a problem??

asamuel, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  12. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Thats why someone emailed you and the reason for letting Shawn know is so that we can get a better understanding of what is allowed. Only he can ban a person so no need to worry about those only posting "Ban Them".

I understand you explanation about wanting to diffferentiate them but you also have to understand the perception with them just being a different shade to the box behind them. Perhaps those in this thread can be helpful and make some suggestions as Asamuel seems to be a reasonable person trying to make things right.

Cheers

yfs1, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    What you need to understand is that we are all in this together. I show your links on my site, and I don't go around blending your links into my background, you have totally clear dark blue links on a white background. And so does everyone else, so when someone doesn't play fair, of course we all get upset.

We don't wan't to mess up your design, but we do want our links to be visible and we have the right to ask for that.

fryman, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  14. asamuel

asamuel Peon

Best Answers:
    I have changed them to white for now until I have time to come up with a new design...I am going to see what other people do on the network to get inspiration...I am willing to listen to other members, but I want to keep this in line with my design which may not be to everone's taste...like they say you cant please everyone...but as long as I am following the rules then I dont see a problem

asamuel, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    They might look good to have them slightly below the red box in the same color as the other red links throughout the page.

yfs1, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  16. asamuel

asamuel Peon

Best Answers:
    yes I was thinking that as most people seem to have the links right at the bottom of the page and it would be inkeeping with what we have discussed above?!

Thanks for all advice got to work now..

asamuel, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  17. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:

Your welcome...thanks for fixing :)

Homer, Apr 13, 2005 IP
  18. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I saw the discussion here on how to make the ads stand out as ads. Then I looked at the top of this page and copied that idea. Look at my site and I'm sure you understand what I mean :D

Perrow, Apr 14, 2005 IP
    Sorvoja likes this.
  19. Sorvoja

Sorvoja Don't hide my ads!

Best Answers:
    Perrow that is just perfect! I will copy your ad-design for my web sites.

Sorvoja, Apr 14, 2005 IP
  20. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Very Nice Perrow...I like it. I, too, will take this approach :)

Homer, Apr 14, 2005 IP