1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Preventing fraud/scam using PayPal Website Payments Standard

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by surelacard, Jun 10, 2010.

I am nearing completion with opening a website and I plan on selling tangible goods. I've been wanting to skip the whole staircase and go for a merchant account but I can't let the excitement get ahold of me so I'm going to aim for step by step, one at a time.

This is where PayPal Website Payments Standard comes to play and I have a couple questions for you folks who've actually used it.

1. Is PayPal top-notch in combating or preventing frauds or scams?

2. If the buyer filed a complaint that he did not receive the goods, who does PayPal usually side with? The buyer or the seller? (To combat this, I'll be using endicia.com for printing out shipping labels w/ delivery confirmation that comes with a shipping/tracking number.)

3. Am I in a deep sh*t if a buyer filed a charge back?

Anything else that I should be aware of when using PayPal Website Payments Standard?

Thanks in advance.

surelacard, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  2. magicworld11

magicworld11 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Incase of tangible goods you will be secured once you provide proof of delivery or online tracking number. You must dispatch item on the paypal verified address only or credit card billing address only.

magicworld11, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  3. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For digital goods/services, Paypal does favor the seller but for other physical goods, in the absence of a shipping/tracking number, Paypal is known to side with the buyers! :(

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  4. Chance

Chance Peon

Best Answers:
    PayPal always sides with the buyer. It's not really their fault- it's the issuing bank's fault.

When the buyer's bank "calls up" PayPal or whoever and says "We're not paying this charge" PayPal or anybody else really has no choice but to take the money from your account. Nobody is going to take a loss for you. Sorry, thats just how credit card processing works.

If you really want extra security in preventing fraud with PayPal you really need to opt Website Payments Pro with their fraud management suite. This does nothing to help with chargebacks when they occur, but it does try to stop fraudulent purchase before they happen and become a chargeback.

The thing is, once you are paying PayPal $60/mo for all that you might as well go get a real merchant account and use Authorize.net or other processor.

Chance, Jun 10, 2010 IP