1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is upgrading Joomla really this painful?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by Pixelrage, Jun 8, 2010.

I've just gotten back into Joomla after some 6-7 years or so and have forgotten much about it. However, a new site I'm working on has to be upgraded. From the way it appears, according to the directions, they recommend that you never upgrade an existing site, but do it on a staging server first.

What???

This is totally inconceivable. So, if you have have a massive site up, you're expected to mirror it on a staging server, upgrade it (once a month or more??) and then move the entire thing over every time? Not only that, but all of the add-ons and components as well?

Can you simply go to Global Config and turn the site off, then upgrade, and turn the site back on? I'm still a little stunned at the recommendation of not upgrading a live site, unless it's due to plugins that might not work with a new version.

Pixelrage, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  2. Dom Wood

Dom Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, it's hell lol. Most people I know just export the database, then reinstall Joomla, then BigDump the DB back up. Much easier than messing about with two servers, but if you have a installation you have messed about with to get it just right, you have to start all over again...

Dom Wood, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  3. aka_le_Mulder

aka_le_Mulder Member

Best Answers:
    Another weak point in Joomla. Just like adding embed code.

aka_le_Mulder, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  4. jaikanth12

jaikanth12 Guest

Best Answers:
    It's very easy.. Upload the upgrade zip pack in joomla root , and simply we need to extract

jaikanth12, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  5. aka_le_Mulder

aka_le_Mulder Member

Best Answers:
    Yeap. And lose all your data by chance =)

aka_le_Mulder, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  6. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    ugh...wasn't aware of this :( Looks like this site will be a thorn in my side. It kind of makes me love Wordpress a whole lot more.

Pixelrage, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  7. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Migrating it not easy, especially if you have plugins with large data. Not all 1.0.x plugins will work with 1.5.x or 1.6.x . Wordpress is definitely simpler, but less powerful. It is a tradeoff.

Blue Star Ent., Jun 9, 2010 IP
  8. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    If I'm not modifying any core files and I'm only running JomSocial, is there any risk on upgrading the live site at all? I'm still not understanding how there could be, unless these upgrade files aren't as stable as they're cracked up to be...

Pixelrage, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  9. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can look and see if JomSocial runs natively in both versions. What you do is create a temporary folder and test it out to see if everything is okay. Here is the link if you want to have a look : LINK. I read it a bit more myself, and I think it would transfer ( migrate ) without problems.

Look at step four and see where they tell you to create a seperate folder and database.

Good luck.

Blue Star Ent., Jun 9, 2010 IP
    aka_le_Mulder likes this.
  10. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, this is a big help.

Pixelrage, Jun 10, 2010 IP
    Blue Star Ent. likes this.