1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would you do? Take the money?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Carswell, Jun 7, 2010.

Hi,
    Today I got a email from a very large company who makes shoes, it is a very popular shoe and they asked me to make them a website and their budget is US$ 50,000 to 100,000.
    For what they want, I can make it for a fraction of that, I am about to send them an email telling them that I will do it for what we charge and they can keep the rest of the money.

I have to admit, I was about to hide the prices on my website but hought I better be a good boy :)

What would you have done.

Carswell, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  2. Leviathanose

Leviathanose Guest

Best Answers:
    Tell them that you can make it for a lot cheaper than what they are offering. It will surely raise your PR status and they will surely promote you to other companies for being cheap and honest.

Leviathanose, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  3. Adraco

Adraco Active Member

Best Answers:
    Tell them that you charge a project fee, which is fixed for the full project as described. And make that according to your normal prices. And then, like all other web-builders, you charge extra, per hour, for any extra changes, modifications and add-ons which they order along the way.

Better to take your normal rates and keep a happy, paying customer and make more money from them in the lng run, by offering to run/update the site for them with an annual contract. They will be happy and feel well treated, and you get someone who keeps putting money in your bank account.

Don't go for the quick buck, it almost always comes back and bites you in the ass.

Adraco, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  4. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For this kind of case, normally i will charge abit higher, but what i mean "abit" higher is still less than what they willing to pay, let's say $40,000
    Of course, you gotta work outstanding, spend more time and give them the best

lifeplayer, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  5. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very honourable of you and the right thing to do.

If their budget has been selected out of the air then that is fine, but have you looked at their requirements very closely? Their budget may include, or assume, things that you haven't picked up on - long-term maintenance/bug-fixing, hosting on a server farm, or some other matter. Just be sure you are on the same wavelength as them to make sure you haven't missed anything obvious (or not so obvious). Larger companies tend to have budgets based on some sort of historical spend or on careful research, and there may be a good reason their budget is what it is. Don't want you to get so far through the project before finding out something you weren't aware of.

Just a small warning. Good luck with this. Do a great job and it will bode well for your future.

RonBrown, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  6. petr_ind

petr_ind Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think you must not do that.
    They are willing to have good website so they are willing to pay high.
    If you charge them cheap, they will think that yours is cheap quality. Sometimes honest can lead you to fail.
    this is my opinion

petr_ind, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  7. RWormwood

RWormwood Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, there must be a reason they expect to pay that much. Be sure you know what you're getting into or you may be sorry down the line.
    Take the money.

RWormwood, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you got any prior relationship with this company? don't you think its strange that they've appeared out of the blue?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a scam going on. Like you do the work and the $$$ never appear.

Big companies have advertising budgets and ad agencies like to control the online exposure of their clients and do so by controlling how their websites are built.

sarahk, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  9. Le Dangles

Le Dangles Member

Best Answers:
    I would be very cautious of this company to, if you're taking on a project that is worth $50,000 I would make sure you sign a contract to ensure they are serious. Also set up a payment system where they pay you in installments...ex. they pay you $25,000 when the project is half completed or something along those lines. Just make sure you don't get scammed or dig yourself a big hole with a project you can't handle.

Le Dangles, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  10. 85vicwagonguy

85vicwagonguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Pricing should be in line with the quality of your work. You want smart LONG TERM clients who aren't afraid to INVEST in good design.

It's great that they have a good budget, but don't make them regret spending it.

85vicwagonguy, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  11. .Razz

.Razz Peon

Best Answers:
    Just don't get scammed, this whole situation looks really suspicious. But props for you, for staying honest. Hopefully, it'll be good for you in the long run.

.Razz, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  12. jacquem

jacquem Guest

Best Answers:
    I am doubtful about the pricing too. If they got the budget for 50 to 100k USD, don't you think they will just send an email like that? For sure they got agency to do this kind of stuff for them.

But if its true then good for you. Update us.

jacquem, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  13. netmalls

netmalls Guest

Best Answers:
    With the information that is in this post, there is no way to know what you should do.

Large corporate sites have high price tags for a reason, and it's not because they like spending money.

There is additional time spent on dealing with chains of command and delays for waiting for a decision from a committee.

It's not a simple build a site and they write a check.

Large corporate projects have goals and milestones and production meetings that will require your personal (or someone in a leadership role) time and interaction.

Project management is a large portion of why the fees for corporate projects are what they are.

Yes you could build a wordpress site with a one click install in minutes, but it will take several weeks of discussion to determine that is what they need.

netmalls, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  14. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You should charge the $100k for that.
    I have deal with company before.
    They will be very choosy.
    Last time i get $150k project for complete website,but end up they not paying me full amount due to they not satisfied with the website.

mentos, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  15. Carswell

Carswell Peon

Best Answers:
    This company is for real, I spoke with them over the phone.
    This is what they want me to do.
    Build them a flash website - easy
    Continue to update their website weekly with new products - easy.
    Make a professional video for them to post on their website - No problem
    Make a commercial for them, hire actors etc to do a great commercial - I have no experience with this, but with the money they are throwing around, I will just outsource this.

So I guess the bulk of their budget will be spent on doind a commercial which they want me to do, not sure where they got this idea that I do this from my website, but I will give it a try lol.
    I wonder if I can put myself in the commercial :)

Carswell, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  16. dreteh

dreteh Member

Best Answers:
    As long as they know your level, it should be fine in my opinion.

dreteh, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  17. ssdear

ssdear Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just grab the opportunity

ssdear, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  18. HomeComputerGames

HomeComputerGames Peon

Best Answers:
    I assisted with making a commercial before for our local ISP back when I was managing it.
    You might want to get a quote to have a commercial made first off before accepting anything. You may be surprised how much of your budget a low quality commercial will cost you.

HomeComputerGames, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  19. toycat

toycat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Srange how they want you to make a commercial if your a website designer :?

Anyway, good luck with the $100k if it ever works out, be sure to let us know

toycat, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  20. BH_Winchester

BH_Winchester Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have taken the money in a heart beat...

BH_Winchester, Jun 8, 2010 IP