1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to approach clients

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by pro.seods, Jun 2, 2010.

There are three main ways with which I approach my customers, and this is where you
    can get creative. These three main ways are: 1) Posting your own ads; 2) Replying to
    other people’s requests; 3) Promoting your online portfolio. I would suggest mastering
    these tactics before experimenting with your own, but if you have experience in other
    things, then by all means, please feel free to adapt them to your array of sales
    techniques.

To diversify your potential for making sales, I suggest employing a combination of all
    three. That way you can leverage your time in the same sense as “not putting all your
    eggs in one basket.” What I mean by that is that if one way doesn’t work for you, you
    have 2 other backups doing business for you somewhere in the pipeline. Before I get
    into specifics, the following things must always be obeyed no matter which tactic you
    pick:

· Professional attitude – act as if you
    work for a Fortune 500 company.
    Your buyers want to deal with
    someone who’s on point, and
    doesn’t take their job half-assedly.

· Proofread EVERYTHING. It doesn’t
    matter if you’re writing a sales thread
    or a helpful post. Even if you’re
    replying to an unrelated thread on a forum board. Think: you’re a writer. Syntax
    and spelling errors in ANY forum threads are NOT acceptable.

· Get in the habit of frequently checking your email. By communicating quickly
    and replying to emails and Private Messages on time, you instantly add value to
    your services.​

pro.seods, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  2. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    For more on this, one can go to Carol Tice's site. http://www.makealivingwriting.com/

I don't remember which page it is on, but it is best to read a lot of her content anyway.

It's one of the best sites I have visited so far from a TRUE copywriter.

Perry Rose, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  3. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    pro.seods

That is some good advice. Creativity comes from the brain, which you are certainly using. As for the constant post interrupter, do not except him to get a true brain. Although he stumbles from post to post in quest of that elusive gem.

Confidence, combined with determination and creativity. With that no one can stop you unless you let them.

dyadvisor, Jun 2, 2010 IP
    extremephp likes this.
  4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Aww, poor thing is still pouting?

Here, have a pill to make you feel better.

Would you like the blue or red one?

Perry Rose, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One thing to add to the proofreading concept is to never forget that your next customer might just search for your online activities. Finding poorly written or spammy posts will only help your shiny new prospect move on to someone else.

YMC, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  6. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    YMC - excellent point

Yes, your website provides clients either confidence or the decision to move on.

I would suggest all viewers, look above (like I did) at the content link, to see a very professional, confidence building website.

Not a negative, but a consideration YMC. I thought you were a firm of X number people, until I saw the word "my". For business clients this site definitively qualifies for a more effective "we".

Nice posting. You prove that you practice what you say!

dyadvisor, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  7. ardi79

ardi79 Peon

Best Answers:
    very nice tips on being a professional writer...
    I shall try to practice all 3 of them....

ardi79, Jun 5, 2010 IP
  8. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, are there still grudges over a week later? Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to thread jack!

OP: You have some good points. I especially want to emphasize the proofreading. So much of what I see online today has obviously never been proofread. Silly (and easily avoidable) mistakes can really ruin a person's credibility!

snarke, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  9. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the main problem which revolves around proof reading is laziness. Many people are lazy to recheck what they have written. And this has happened with me a lot.

pro.seods, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  10. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One way that works for me is to make sure that my regular clients refer me. Clients who have been with me for a long time are always my best advocates because they are comfortable with how I do things and of course — have a lot of faith in me. It is always best to have your praises sung by someone else and someone else who is also your client.

lostpoet, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  11. hornetss

hornetss Peon

Best Answers:
    @lostpoet: definitely, people who were referred to you are generally also hassle free, because they all ready have confidence in your abilities and don't have to make the judgement themselves (their friend or trusted one made it for them!).

hornetss, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  12. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ^ Exactly! Someone that they trust trusts me and hence it works out great.

lostpoet, Jun 10, 2010 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like referrals for the reasons already stated but they also make the whole 'how much do you charge' conversation almost moot. Referrals usually come informed with the rates their trusted friend paid and won't be approaching a higher priced writer with offers of the single digit variety.

YMC, Jun 11, 2010 IP
  14. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very true, and I still am amazed that clients I wrote for 3 years back, still are referring me from time to time. It's a big compliment :)

Kraven2, Jun 11, 2010 IP
  15. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Kraven2 I had someone read one of my articles today about the insurance industry. and call. I have a triple digit writing job for you on Monday --- New York, but it could go national USA for you.

As far as referrals you are absolutely true, but never overlook you present clients. How many times a year do you send them a happy ________ email ? 6 times is about the right number. When is the last time you sent them a free ebook? -------just ideas to think about------------

Like I said, I watch the forum closely, and pass on business to those I feel most qualified. I am very impressed with all the steps Kraven is taking forward, and deserves to be rewarded for it.------------------------------------

dyadvisor, Jun 11, 2010 IP
  16. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I send them a free article every now and then, it makes them much happier :D

Excellent news BTW on that client. Could you check your mail, for this weekend though? There should be one in there from me :)

Kraven2, Jun 11, 2010 IP