1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Safari and Chrome: renders great; MSIE and Firefox: total failure...no clue why

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by rmkreeg, Jun 1, 2010.

My default browser is Chrome and I've been developing this page using Chrome as a quick renderer...so it was a huge surprise when I opened up MSIE (IE8 64-bit) to the page and it totally failed. I'm not talking about a mis-render or things not showing up or out of place. This is an utter failure to render anything in the page (besides the black color of the body's background). I ran it through the W3Schools validator and everything checks out.

I've gone to a browser compatibility tester and had it test the page in MSIE8.0, Safari 4 (WinXP), Firefox 3.6 and Netscape 8. I just wanted some variety. MSIE and FF totally fail (not good!). Safari and Netscape render without problems. This will definitely not win me any web design awards.

So yeah, I'm relatively new with this stuff. Obviously I'm doing something to piss off the two leading browsers.

If anyone can help me out at ALL, please let me know! The page can be found here: http://rmkreeg.brinkster.net/index.html

rmkreeg, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    This should never be a surprise and opening IE to a failed page is expected. It is the worst browser on the planet and 12 years behind modern standards and practices.

Stating your page "totally failed" is not a technical term but in FF it seems I'm getting a blank/black page so I can only assume that's the issue. Since your page validates, I would guess it has something to do with the javascript. First, move your <script> tag into the head where it belongs. Second, "language=" has been deprecates for over 10 years. Remove that.

You really have Netscape?! Is IE4 one of your test browsers, too?

drhowarddrfine, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  3. trevHCS

trevHCS Peon

Best Answers:
    Played a little with the code and it seems to be objecting to the script tags not having an ending </script> at least in Firefox. If you replace all the
    "<script.... />" with "<script....></script>" then FF seems happier. I think you can only use the shorthand tag ending where there isn't normally an ending tag, eg:

<br/> is legit as there's no ending BR tag in HTML
    <script /> isn't legit as there is an ending </script> tag in HTML.

Trev

trevHCS, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  4. rmkreeg

rmkreeg Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the info! I was unaware that the language attribute had been depreciated, but now I know and I am grateful.

I was surprised that it wasn't rendering in IE8 because it was rendering fine a couple weeks ago when I last worked on the project. What I was really surprised at was FF inability to render properly...especially when Netscape rendered fine. And no, I don't use Netscape anymore. I haven't had it on my PC for years.

Tonight I will remove the language attribute and add end tags to the <script> tags.

Thank you both for the help. I'll report if this solved the problem!

-Bob

rmkreeg, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  5. rmkreeg

rmkreeg Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, problem solved! Thanks again!

rmkreeg, Jun 1, 2010 IP