1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Skill Do You Think You Are Lacking To Make It Online?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by HelpingNewbies, May 30, 2010.

I'd be very interested to hear your answers, because it annoys me when others can't seem to find the key to success.

Education?

Motivation?

Technical skills?

Money?

HelpingNewbies, May 30, 2010 IP
  2. Joe128139

Joe128139 Peon

Best Answers:
    Far and away the missing skill is motivation.

I tie in education and technical skills because the education that you need is for those technical skills. They are easily found all over the internet, often for free.

Money can be a detraction, but often it is not because there are free alternatives to get your business started.

Motivation is the problem because those who did not make it online just gave up too early. They read a sales letter that promises instant riches and when it does not happen they say "Screw It!" And give up. If you want to make it online, you just have to keep chugging ahead because success is on the path, and the only way to reach it is to keep going.

Didn't anyone read the little engine that could lol?

Joe128139, May 30, 2010 IP
  3. MmmDesign

MmmDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Joe that lacking motivation is a huge factor in making money online. Not just for making money online, but doing anything in life. Everyone that is successful in life share one thing in common. They buckled down and did it. Whatever 'it' is, that is how they became the best, most innovative and the tops of their fields. They kept trying and never gave up.

I guess it falls under the motivation category but I personally have a huge problem with time management. I often find myself getting easily distracted, especially while online. I know I should be designing, coding, promoting, etc. but instead I find myself losing hours playing stupid games, watching videos, or just surfing the web.

MmmDesign, May 30, 2010 IP
  4. HelpingNewbies

HelpingNewbies Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been guilty too of surfing !

HelpingNewbies, May 31, 2010 IP
    Andrea Bustamante likes this.
  5. Victoria B

Victoria B Peon

Best Answers:
    30 guys working 24/7 for me :)

Victoria B, May 31, 2010 IP
    Andrea Bustamante likes this.
  6. Andrea Bustamante

Andrea Bustamante Member

Best Answers:
    lol lol lol i guess i need the same and some bucks hahahahahaha

Andrea Bustamante, May 31, 2010 IP
  7. hendrick11

hendrick11 Peon

Best Answers:
    My problem lately is having a niche product or service. It seems like everybody is doing everything I can do. I have had a pet products website that did well for years. Now there are tons of pet stores and pet websites.

I have started to get some products for events that I would rent out, like confetti cannons, lighting, decorations. The more I looked around the more I decided that it wasn't worth the investment for the rewards (if any).

I liked personalized products, but now you can buy that stuff everywhere, including Walgreen's and CVS. I need a product that would fit a need for a sector of people/customers that WalMart, Costco, Super markets, Home Depot, etc does not carry. And/or provide a service.

The internet is crowded with "vendors" right now. And it's getting tighter. Any ideas???

hendrick11, May 31, 2010 IP
  8. Victoria B

Victoria B Peon

Best Answers:
    When you can't find something that really suits you, at least, find something that will give you the highest commissions that you can earn.

Do some research about the most profitable affiliate program, find out what niches are succeeding.

I saw here one thread about that, people were talking about 3 different niches * Pharmacy *Tobacco * Travel

If you pay attention you will notice that the first two has become "needs" and in a certain and parallel way, the third one also :) so it's something that will give you nice long term results.

I can not be objective cause I am working in one of those niches but still, you have to do your own research.

Good Luck!

Victoria B, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  9. app789

app789 Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree to Joe,

From my point of view, you need to a good motivated idea to do this.

I think you have all the skill accept the good guidelines.

All the best!

app789, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  10. Reenterit

Reenterit Active Member

Best Answers:
    The far most I am lacking is the money side. Although I have quite some to invest, you need more then "quite some" to make a lot of money on the internet. You will need hundreds of dollars to be exact.

Reenterit, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  11. hendrick11

hendrick11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting thoughts you offer.

I constantly look for opportunities and/or things I would be interested in doing. I do make an income from one website, and another small business that is not on the internet. I want to do more on the internet.

My personal interests that could lead to something: NASCAR racing, politics and political issues, business startups and business ideas, addiction recovery, advice on relationships and how to deal with life's issues.

I am not sure how I would make money on any of these yet. I do think there is something to talking to people (on a internet/email basis) to help them through their problems dealing with addiction problems, life problems, relationship problems, depression issues, self improvement, etc. The types of things people deal with daily, but don't want to admit their problems to just anyone.

Yet, once again, there is already a lot on the internet that deals with these issues.

Any ideas?

hendrick11, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  12. hendrick11

hendrick11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, my thoughts keep going on this subject. If I were to partner up with a few other people that created a forum that could get sponsors that would want to pay for ads on the forum. I see the self help, addiction/recovery, life issues field as a good traffic getter. Everyone has problems their dealing with.
    If a few of us were responsible for answering questions and keeping the conversations fresh and interesting, while marketing for sponsors. Possibly sponsors would be drug companies, food companies, other websites, etc.

Is anybody interested in doing something like this? Or do you know of someone doing this that needs another partner?

hendrick11, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  13. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Being an expert programmer or at least being good friends with one would open a million doors for me.

Pixelrage, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  14. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    New around these parts and would like to weight in. The skills I lack to make it online are education mostly. I been trying to take a few approaches to make it online..from building wordpress websites to reselling domains. My first ever domain sold just a few days ago and it really motivated me becuase I made a 900% profit on it. But what I fear and think fear is the biggest thing for me is that was just a lucky sale. what I mean by fear is that by me putting alot of hours into building and ranking websites that those websites will not turn a big enough profit to balance the amount of hours I put into them. I honestly think their is a cutoff point when you say hello "x" website is not worth it. So yes alot of fear of wasting time and learning the ropes.

scotman, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  15. tsmooth

tsmooth Peon

Best Answers:
    The only way to prove that it was not a fluke, is to sell another site using the exact same methods you use before. Everything must be tested!!! It is unreasonable to fear "not being able to sale again" on the net. Are you working by magic and superstition or do you have a blueprint that you are following everyday?

tsmooth, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  16. cmorley

cmorley Peon

Best Answers:
    Lack of Patience for many... because they all want to be millionaires overnight and that doesn't happen...

cmorley, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  17. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is a very good way of looking at, yes I do have a system, I don't buy domains on a gut feeling. I always research them before hand. Thanks for that tip and words of inspiration.

scotman, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  18. asiammyself

asiammyself Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say it is my motivation is what I need to work on. It's hard working on my website everyday when I see very little results. I wish they would just come faster, but I know that doesn't happen in this business.:p

asiammyself, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  19. ericcalisto

ericcalisto Peon

Best Answers:
    I seem to be lacking two things; money and connections. I am extremely motivated, determined and work every day to get my site out to the world, but I do not have the never ending pile of cash that I need to get noticed. Also, I live in a tiny town that is the furthest thing from technological advanced so it is hard to connect with anyone. I'm thinking I need to make a trip to Silicon Valley? Who is coming with me? Haha.

ericcalisto, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  20. scotman

scotman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm on board with you there. Getting tired of the weather up here in NY anyways :) They say the grass is always greener!

scotman, Jun 1, 2010 IP