1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you still care about ie6?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ghyper.com, May 26, 2010.

1. ghyper.com

ghyper.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I found every biggest site problematic with ie6.. also ie6 in not supporting PNG and not good for ajax and jquery.. its a crap now.. Just because of its internal availability in windows people are using it and most of all that kinda of visitor are from backward countries..

ghyper.com, May 27, 2010 IP
  2. jek8519

jek8519 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think 10% of users is NOT the minority. I ignore, for example, Firefox 2.0, which is represented by less than 2% of users, but not IE6.
    Ofcourse I want to push the Internet forward, not to hold back, but not for my money :)
    It's just expediency: how much money give me IE6 users and how much it will cost to me to support IE6. In my case (I stress - "in my case") it is favorably to care about IE6.

jek8519, May 27, 2010 IP
  3. cDc

cDc Peon

Best Answers:
    IE6 support is still unfotunately quite important. The reason for this is that many large companies are still stuck on windows xp and IE6 becuase they have legacy apps which only work in IE6 and would cost too much to re-build for a modern browser. I see IE6 usage hovering around 5-10% still in my analytics which is not an insignificant number.

cDc, May 27, 2010 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Again, IE6 users know what they have and get what they get. You shouldn't think they will not visit your site and go to others simply because it doesn't work as well. The other sites have the same issues and if you continue to support it they will never have a reason to change.

I'll also repeat, Microsoft has abandoned IE6 and is telling its customers to upgrade. If the creator of IE6 has given up on it, you should take that as advice.

drhowarddrfine, May 27, 2010 IP
  5. JustinBroshears

JustinBroshears Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll support it as it seems a lot of of coding clients want their site to work in IE6 so there fore i'll make my code work in it. I hate it with a passion and wish it will die off but as long as there still demand for code to work in it i'll make it work. Its not that hard to get it to work really.

JustinBroshears, May 28, 2010 IP
  6. themerie

themerie Peon

Best Answers:
    IE made my dog cry. No.

themerie, May 28, 2010 IP
  7. digital29

digital29 Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly, I don`t care too much about ie6 visitors.
    I usually optimize the site a little bit, but I`ll never make it perfect

digital29, May 30, 2010 IP
  8. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It matters not a bit what we, as developers, want to support or drop. It only matters what your clients' visitors want to use. IE6 is still the second or third most used browser, worldwide. We'd all prefer that everyone using IE6 would migrate to a modern browser, or failing that, to IE8, but it's not going to happen until an awful lot of people have bought new computers.

For us, it is a trivial matter to support IE6 by building in graceful degradation. Those IE6 users may not get all the bells and whistles, but there is no sane reason for them to see broken sites because of their browsers.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, May 30, 2010 IP
  9. JustCause

JustCause Guest

Best Answers:
    ie6 compatibility in my opinion is still quite important and i would keep it in mind whilst designing, but i tend not to make it my priority to design a site that will work on IE6. There is little you can do if you want your website to be at the cutting edge of technology as IE6 is simply outdated and the users of IE6 only have themselves to blame! lol

JustCause, May 31, 2010 IP
  10. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    Anyone who uses Windows Update will be automatically upgraded to IE8, so there is very little reason to develop specifically with IE6 in mind.

JMel, May 31, 2010 IP
  11. bawx

bawx Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont care about it as much but it is sill important

bawx, May 31, 2010 IP
  12. jamulejs

jamulejs Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately you must care about IE6, unless you want lose visitors, but I think that in near future the number of IE6 users go down and then you can ignore it

jamulejs, May 31, 2010 IP
  13. slimrider94

slimrider94 Member

Best Answers:
    IE6 is very outdated, there is no use in retaining workability in your designs for it.

slimrider94, May 31, 2010 IP
  14. NoSupportLinuxHosting

NoSupportLinuxHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I definitely would not limit the design of a site to IE6. It is horribly outdated and riddled with known bugs. If you design your site for the IE6 browser, you will lose some of the users who are expecting a modern site.

NoSupportLinuxHosting, May 31, 2010 IP
  15. mmay

mmay Peon

Best Answers:
    this is true, there are TONS of US based corporate companies that are just stuck usuing IE6. I used to work for monster.com and we were stuck on IE6. So for the work crowd it's a big deal... that being said, these same companies monitor internet use and you can bet they are not letting their employees surf at will. For non corporate IE6 users, a website that comes up like crap usually means they need an upgrade. You're not the only website that comes up wrong as far as they are concerned.

mmay, May 31, 2010 IP
  16. iEddie_B

iEddie_B Peon

Best Answers:
    I find it even with the popularity of Mozilla Firefox, my site analytics show me that IE is what most of my visitors are using which is very surprising.

iEddie_B, May 31, 2010 IP
  17. Clay.hoff

Clay.hoff Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    We have to take care about IE6 because Microsoft is a very much widely used in the whole world and IE6 is still used by many people but normally new developers think that IE6 is no longer in use and encounter many problems.For example Double Margin problem,HasLayout, Small Height etc etc. So i recommend you should take care of IE6 while web development.

Clay.hoff, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  18. shahilroyhere

shahilroyhere Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually if you ask any designer nowadays, everyone will love to say that we don't worry about IE6 as we just ignore it for the sake of good design. But if you see the stats, market share of IE6 is still high. So if you are designer and doing it for a client, you can ignore it if client is OK with it. But you will not wish your site to be incompatible with IE6. One more reason to think about is IE6 is the browser which comes by default with most used OS Windows XP.

shahilroyhere, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  19. NoamBarz

NoamBarz Active Member

Best Answers:
    I care, as long as it is possible to produce in IE6 and doesn't take too long to customize my site for IE6 support.
    Visitors using IE6 have been dropping rapidly during the past 2 years.

NoamBarz, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  20. AlcVitRes

AlcVitRes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My XP Pro x64 installation has prebuilt MSIE v7.0 for years now,
    and with current tempo MSIE v6.0 market share in August will be
    ~5%, so why bother? - unless u're making websites for clients of
    most distant spots in this planet unable to install 15/28 MB client.

AlcVitRes, Jun 3, 2010 IP