1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Microsoft losing battle against Mac?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by FreeITRepair, Feb 1, 2010.

1. looking4vps

looking4vps Peon

Best Answers:
    more microsoft products are used than MAC i see mac fading away in a few years

looking4vps, May 28, 2010 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Wait! You're trying to compare all Microsoft products to only the Mac?! Would you like to correct that foolish statement?

drhowarddrfine, May 28, 2010 IP
  3. burn

burn Member

Best Answers:
    I've had way more issues with macs than microsoft... don't see why anyone would want a mac. the worst issue i've had with a windows computer is a failed hard drive. no viruses or crashing... without running a firewall for the past 4+ years.

it would take a lot for mac to get ahead

burn, May 28, 2010 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    50% of all college students use a Mac. At both my son's colleges, all the notebooks of their friends are Macs. In fact, at one school, I've never seen anything else.

Your issues are your own. Consumer Reports last month put Macs #1 in every computer category they compete in and #1 in reliability and they've been #1 for 4-5 years that I recall.

5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    In fact, back to the OP, one thing I forgot that I mentioned a few years ago. Is Microsoft losing against Apple? Yes! And why do I know so? Other than their stock price being pummeled and sales dropping?

Microsoft doesn't matter anymore.

Back in the day, everyone created things with the thought of "What would Microsoft think?" or would it work on their systems. Nowadays, what's your thought?

Does it work on the web? Does it work with the iPhone/iPad? Does it work with mobile? What's the next thing you are going to buy? What excites you the most? An iPad? Android phone? Your web app? Does Microsoft Office make you tingle like those other things do? I didn't think so.

When Apple or Google announce a new product, your eyes light up. It's exciting! It's adventurous, modern, sleek and sexy. PRI Business News, yesterday, called Microsoft products "gray, dull and boring".

Microsoft doesn't matter anymore and nobody cares. Apple and Google will rule that world and it's exciting!

6. BCRed

BCRed Active Member

Best Answers:
    I entirely agree. They force me to use a Mac at work and I hate it! Coming home to my PC every night is such a breath of fresh air

BCRed, May 28, 2010 IP
  7. redbyte

redbyte Member

Best Answers:
    I remember the bad old days back in the early nineties when Mac looked like it could end up being bought out by MicroSoft or end up going bust. Then once the prodigal son returned (Steve Jobs) all was well again at the good ship Mac.

Now its taken over MicroSoft... Hot damn how times change.

redbyte, May 28, 2010 IP
  8. internetrocks

internetrocks Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Microsoft is way ahed , if apple wants to win this race , it has to reduce cost and have to create plateform that other software can be used on it .

internetrocks, May 28, 2010 IP
  9. LemonHunter33

LemonHunter33 Active Member

Best Answers:
    a recent report has shown Apple has taken over from Microsoft as the worlds leading technology seller. the reason? iPhone and iPod. this is not because of their mac computers. The most used form of computer is a PC, not mac. yes a lot of macs may be used for graphics design and music, but most households use PCs. microsoft, aka windows based computers are winning easily against Mac based computers in regards to the usual family household, but the company Apple has sadly taken over, only due to their iPhone and iPod. Personally i dont see this as them winning, as the products that have made them get in the lead are not in the same category.

LemonHunter33, May 29, 2010 IP
  10. clbyodo

clbyodo Peon

Best Answers:
    No,i dont think Mircrosoft is loosing battle against MAC.

clbyodo, May 29, 2010 IP
  11. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    And the relevance of this to the debate is ... debatable.

By definition, an operating system (and for that matter, a computer) runs software. Windows enables people to run software easily, so does Mac OS. That's what they do. If you mean "Apple needs to make a platform that runs Windows software", what would be the point? As for cost, time and again, analysis done, conclusion the same - like for like, they aren't cheaper, or dearer. If you mean "They don't make $200 computers", yep, you're right. And as they've stated time and again, they don't want to, because they'd just wind up making ... crappy computers (and I defy anyone to find me a $200 computer that isn't crappy).

And as fewer and fewer people are favoring desktop compuers, and more and more people favoring mobile devices, this is not exactly a stupid thing for a company to do. Note also that this is in a market where Windows mobile OSes have been around for a very long time, only to be completely blown away by not only Apple, but Google and RIM.

Given the above, it could be argued that MS isn't losing, but has lost. Big time.

diggathedog, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  12. Spect3r

Spect3r Peon

Best Answers:
    If it would be some few years ago i would say , Yes MS is loosing for Mac

But at the moment is the other way around with out a single doubt.
    Mac PC's, laptop's, etc suck more and more every year that passes. If wouldnt be for the I things they would have their sells way way down
    Not just Mac have been going down in quality, but also MS have improved a lot the last few years and specially Win 7

Not saying that MS is kicking ass to Mac but that MS recovering ground from Mac :p

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    Spect3r, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  13. iDaTa

iDaTa Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft will always be the home use computer.
    Can't see macs becoming it.

iDaTa, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  14. LemonHunter33

LemonHunter33 Active Member

Best Answers:
    diggathedog, yes it is a very smart thing to move to mobile devices, but i believe the arguement raised is if MS is losing against Mac, not the whole company Apple. Apple controls the mobile market, that is clearly obvious, but as for PC and desktop use, which is what a Mac is, then majority of people will openly say MS is winning in that field. MS controls the PC market, clearly beating Apple, Apple clearly is winning the mobile market, hence why i believe MS is not focusing on it as much.

LemonHunter33, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  15. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. Microsoft is much popular and used by most of the people around the world.
    And its ease of use is the best thing.

Digital_shubhi, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  16. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mac dominates mobile market and ipod they arent directly competing as much as they used to Apple has taken different route in markets and is doing very well with it, and Msoft still strong PC sales almost monopolizing the industry

MarTh-, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  17. Putnam11

Putnam11 Peon

Best Answers:
    This depends, do you mean Desktop, Mobile, or Servers? Mac and Windows servers are a big failure, Windows because of security, and Mac because of price. Linux is the way to go for servers. Windows Mobile never really picked up, so Apple's iPhone is the way to go. Desktops generally ship with Windows because Microsoft pays Dell, HP, Gateway, etc to be affiliates, and because of this most people don't know Linux exist. Macs are just too expensive. If more people knew about Linux, they would switch more than likely.

Putnam11, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  18. BH_Winchester

BH_Winchester Peon

Best Answers:
    Mac only has the upperhand in the niche mobile market like the itouch other than that windows is far more common

BH_Winchester, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  19. Putnam11

Putnam11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Also,
    The only reason Mac and Linux don't support a lot of software is that software developers like to make the big money, and there are more people using Windows than Mac or Linux. If more people switched to Linux or Mac, developers would develop for those platforms. And they are willing to pay, look at the Wolfire Indie Bundle stats Windows take games for granted, and pirate or pay less for them, while Linux users are willing to pay, and Apple users aren't too bad either.

Putnam11, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  20. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    The point I was trying to make was that it's pretty uncertain whether restricting the definition of "computers" to desktops and (large) portables isn't missing a fundamental shift in computer usage: that more and more, people will trend away from larger devices, and use smaller ones. It would be misguided to ignore this shift in market direction, I believe, and MS is clearly not on a winning footing at the moment in this market sector (just ask HP!). No, phones won't replace desktops entirely, but I'm not sure a combination of phones and/or tablets won't soon become the way most people experience computing (and represent both the objects on which they spend "computer their", as well as where their "computer spending" goes).

I think the spirit of the original question was a "who wins the OS war that counts" (the maker of the OS that people actually spend time using), and it is for that reason I mentioned iOS, which is a derivative of Mac OS (this alone seems reason enough to consider OS variants).

diggathedog, Jun 9, 2010 IP