1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does google check for malware? Do they do it manually by staff?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Hipto, May 26, 2010.

Hi guys

(1)How does google check for malware? Do they do it manually by staff?
    (2)Will they check for the page if it needs a login?

Thanks

Hipto, May 26, 2010 IP
  2. juhasan

juhasan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. No, it's an automated process
    2. I don't think they can access password-protected pages

juhasan, May 26, 2010 IP
  3. Codbox

Codbox Active Member

Best Answers:
    google bots can detect outdated malwares. Login pages can't be detected if it has no public access

Codbox, May 26, 2010 IP
  4. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Agree, Google's software check for various malware files located on a server. If the file is located in a secure are, it should not pick it up. Anywhere in you public area the file will be identified and your site listed as containing malware.

Rian, May 26, 2010 IP
  5. Hipto

Hipto Peon

Best Answers:
    How about when we try to deny google from crawling certain pages? will those page be checked too?

Hipto, May 26, 2010 IP
  6. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not all the time, google has a webpage setup for people to report attack sites - http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/report_badware/

If a site tried to install malware on your computer, all you have to do is report the site and provide a description of what happened. The site is then reviewed by google.

From what I saw on a Matt Cutts video, a lot of sites are reviewed by real people at google. That way there is no doubt about it.

~kev~, May 26, 2010 IP
    Sxperm likes this.
  7. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent reply as usual :) Green rep added. It can be done in both automate and manual but most of the time is automatically. However, all the taken care of reviews process are made manually case by case anyway. I have experienced one of my site got infected and the warning message had been removed only a few hours after manual reviews required sent, while one of my friend took a week before the message removed. :p Weird

Sxperm, May 26, 2010 IP
  8. bermuda

bermuda Peon

Best Answers:
    Since Google has installed some virus checking tools on its web crawling bots, so many times the automated process would be used. In some cases manual checking would be done, for example when a site s repeatedly reported for problems by several people or may contain some Trojans for long times.

bermuda, May 26, 2010 IP
  9. billmc

billmc Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, their Google Bot detects the Malware and then they install that warning webpage.

billmc, May 27, 2010 IP
  10. yoes_san

yoes_san Peon

Best Answers:
    For my recent experience, google bot will find a malware and warn you on about it on webmaster tool, but not actually labeled your site as 'dangerous'.

But if someone did actually report your site while you have malware on it, your site will be then labeled by google.

(I got security breach on my sites ->webmaster tool reported malware on all of them, but only the one with high traffics got labeled as dangerous. I didn't anything about them for a few days after warning came up though so it's also my fault.)

yoes_san, May 27, 2010 IP
  11. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Scanning the websites would be surely automatic.... but I guess once the sites are reported for malwares by such scan... there would be real people examining the same to verify and double check the genuineness of the findings!

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, May 27, 2010 IP
  12. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    not sure, maybe they are doing it automatically because google do all things automatically like algorithm.

Excel 8, May 27, 2010 IP