1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keep Your Writing from Being STOLEN

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dyadvisor, May 20, 2010.

Fed-up With Right-Clickers Stealing Your Writing?
    There Is A Simple Way To Stop 90% of Them!

Your website should be an example of your work quality. However, your sample writing, website coding tricks, hard to design front page can be easily stolen.

As you know, I like to prove what I say. On your website, any page, go to the top of the browser and click <edit> and then select page source. Sometimes, it is a simple CTRL U key combo. There it is, all the coding for your page. Anyone can highlight your entire page, go to their site on an empty page. In the coding, they do a CTRL V combo.

ALL YOUR INFORMATION IS STOLEN, including $100's of dollars of programming.

Now you can spend $17, $27, or money for a programmer to help. I do not like to see DP members hard personal writing work stolen, so this is free on me.
    (and you thought I only knew about writing articles)

Simply place the following one line of code after the opening <body> tag of your HTML and it will keep most of the "non-hackers" from accessing their "right-click" context menu.

<body oncontextmenu="return false">

Try it. Plus, it makes it harder for visitors to escape viewing what you offer a little harder. Let me know if it works for you.----------------

Last edited: May 20, 2010
    dyadvisor, May 20, 2010 IP
  2. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    that does nothing on a Mac.

contentboss, May 20, 2010 IP
  3. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    This might work for a Mac
    If you want to deter users from copying the content from your website, this script will DISABLE the RIGHT-CLICK function on the users mouse. Of course, this is only a deterant because the user can change the settings in their browser and get around this. At least it helps to deter novices from stealing yourwork.
    Download DISABLE RIGHT-CLICK 1.0 --FIND FREE WITH A GOOGLE SEARCH
    Win 3.1x, Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT 3.x, WinNT 4.x, WinXP, Windows2000, Windows2003, Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Home Basic x64, Windows Vista Home Premium x64, Windows Vista Business x64, Windows Vista Enterprise x64, Windows Vista Ultimate x64, Unix, Linux, Linux Console, Linux Gnome, Linux GPL, MAC 68k, Mac PPC, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, Mac OS X 10.1, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS X 10.5, Mac Other

dyadvisor, May 20, 2010 IP
  4. franksteroo

franksteroo Peon

Best Answers:
    good simple advice, if it keeps even a few out it might be worth it right.

franksteroo, May 20, 2010 IP
  5. copy4you

copy4you Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course it is easy to see and copy html code and then use it somewhere else but there is one important thing to mention: if you have a website created with html and css it is no longer so easy because css file is only on your server and nobody will copy it easily. But as far as the content is concearned you're right. Well, maybe I will try if this code works for my website :)

copy4you, May 22, 2010 IP
  6. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    ok but will give it a try but how does it help visitors stay at the page longer?

ErikJ, May 22, 2010 IP
  7. phpSiteMinder

phpSiteMinder Peon

Best Answers:
    Disabling right clicks just annoys users. If someone wants to steal you content they can use the browser view source feature, or save the page to their computer and edit is as they like. That saves the entire page including images and external css and js files, so its not any harder to get the css and js.

Or they can just highlight the text and use the keyboard short cut (eg control c on windows) to copy the text.

I'll say it again, disabling right click just annoys users, and does nothing to protect the content.

phpSiteMinder, May 22, 2010 IP
  8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    YOU ARE RIGHT WITH YOUR ANSWER.

However, 75% to 80% of computer users know nothing of your knowledge about this.

10% that do know, leave fearing you have planted a hidden virus. One of my sites gives a blunt warning-plus the code is scrambled. I have been hacked, it is not fun afterward.

(sort of like an alarm system, it does not scare everyone away. But rather then take any chances, even the smarter ones move on)

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY WORD PRESS SITES HAVE admin admin as passwords?

As to the further above question. Many people are adapt to using their mouse so much, they forget their is a back arrow often at the top of the browser, or tabs, so they browse longer.
    (cannot tell you how many millions of $$$$ yearly that brings in --- also could say that is one of the strategies of miles long sales copy.

Crooks are crooks, just do not encourage them. --------------------------------------------

dyadvisor, May 22, 2010 IP
  9. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anything online can be hacked or stolen. You can not prevent it. However, incorporating some code proving its yours works well when sending a C&D to their host in most cases :)

Also encrypting the vital parts is a good and free option. No need for a programmer, just encrypt and re-upload :)

Kraven2, May 30, 2010 IP
  10. InkCreativeStudios

InkCreativeStudios Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    InkCreativeStudios, May 30, 2010 IP
  11. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Point made. Some rude remarks by someone who sells Steroids to anybody (over the internet), did not like one of my posts. From Latvia, it beeped my 10 layers of security actively, between 2 different IP addresses rotating.

Without the protection, not just my data, but computer would have been toast.
    Now Google has a share site up and run, you can allow articles also. Inkcreativestudios or anyone know about this? An if we post any free shared information, do you know if Google gives us their big Page Ranking stamp of approval or link back to a site? if you know, I think it could benefit many here. I personally do not mind willingly sharing, but stealing other people's creative artwork or programming is sometimes going a little to far.
    By the way, you should see how secure the steroid, seller who brags about stealing, has his web site guarded.

Yes Kraven2 CNet.com has free scrambling programs to download, that scramble your code, this is really important to someone that sells something. You are perfectly right, good angle.

----------------------------------------------------have a good day, and Ink keep your helpful tips coming, I am sure many have already benefited from them---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dyadvisor, May 30, 2010 IP
  12. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You don' t need to download anything. There are plenty of online encryption utilities available. You past the code, and get the encrypted code back, that you paste in the page. Then re-upload and you are done. Take care to only encrypt the parts that actually need protecting though, as encryption tends to make your page bloated, and load slow, if you encrypt the whole page.

Just a little detail that is important ;)

As for graphical stuff, ALWAYS watermark the hell out of it. Lazy thieves won' t remove it, and those you can actually take to court. I made good money that way, going after the SOBs that ripped my wife's photos(She obviously is a photographer :D )

Kraven2, May 30, 2010 IP
  13. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nice trick thanks. :D

etc, May 30, 2010 IP
  14. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, that is not a trick, for a webmaster that should be common knowledge

But you' re welcome though :D

Kraven2, May 30, 2010 IP
  15. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but won't this affect the SEO?
    i hope it won't.

etc, May 30, 2010 IP
  16. ggHowell

ggHowell Guest

Best Answers:
    yea i'm worried bots wont be able to get your content ...

ggHowell, May 30, 2010 IP
  17. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google, and the likes seem to have no problems with it.

Kraven2, May 31, 2010 IP
  18. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    HERE is what I use on one of my wife's sites.

***********************************************************************************
    *Copyprotection for this site. is provided by WP-CopyProtect v1.9
    *RightClick Disabled, DO NOT COPY. Violators Prosecuted
    ***********************************************************************************

Kraven- here is a way to test your idea. If you use the Firefox Brower, download SeoQuake and set the install option for your mouse. Go to the mixed code page, by using CTRL U to view the code. Now "x" out an go to the regular shown page. With your right mouse movement, select Keywords Density. If the words show, then Google can read it. If not – not a good option.

--------------------------------------hope this helps------------------------------

dyadvisor, May 31, 2010 IP
  19. SwimFinn

SwimFinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Bots won't be right-clicking... and if they do, they've already seen your content so it will get indexed.

It's the humans which you have to worry about. All copy protection makes the thing being protected more fragile. As long as your copy protection doesn't interfere with the humans who are your customers, there is no problem. If your customers like to print your articles so they can put it on their bulletin boards and you don't let them do that, then you're irritating your customers. If your customers use a browser or a browser add-on which makes your site look unpleasant due to the copy protection, then you have a problem.

Unfortunately, it will be hard for you to know whether you're irritating your customers. Provide easy feedback mechanisms and keep an eye on them.

SwimFinn, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  20. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent advice, and thanks for clearing up that part up about the indexing spider bots. I did not know that part after all these years, and know I know. See you helped me out too. Have a good day.

dyadvisor, Jun 2, 2010 IP