1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I Be Using Meta Name Keywords/Descriptions On My Websites? What's Best SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by bad_bob00, May 19, 2010.

Hi there,

On all of my websites I use the Meta Name="keywords" and Meta Name="description" commands in my HTML and I'm just wondering if this is best for search engine optimization or not?

I just googled one of my websites ranking terms and in the site description on Google it contained my exact Meta Name="description" text, and I think on other sites they might not bother including this any more.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

bad_bob00, May 19, 2010 IP
  2. berg101

berg101 Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many more things that you are missing fohh SEO , SEo is a tiring Process- You need to work Hard..
    Check these Blogs for more detail....

-SEOEXPERT.COM
    -WEBCONFS.COM

berg101, May 19, 2010 IP
  3. cDc

cDc Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta keywords is not really used much thesedays (At least Google dont use it)

Meta description is very important - its what the user reads when they see a list of results

I always look at it like this - If it was me reading this, will i be enticed to click (and if you can include a keyword or two then thats great)

cDc, May 19, 2010 IP
  4. sanfranciscoseo

sanfranciscoseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay... Google and maybe other search engines like yahoo, and bing will be devalue the meta keywords tag.. the only important is the title tag and meta descriptions so do not rely on the meta keywords.. Have a best of luck....

regards,

kickmoko

sanfranciscoseo, May 19, 2010 IP
  5. MsNita

MsNita Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is very interesting topic. I have a site that, since I last checked on 5/17/10, still sits in the #1 position in Google, and it has no meta data information and no content included. There's just the shell of a Wordpress theme on the site.

I did some site optimization and I do have keywords in the domain, but that's pretty much it.

So it may not be as important to include the meta data info based on what I'm seeing with my site.

But despite what I'm experiencing with my site, I still lean heavily towards including the meta information, especially the meta description - as this helps those searching for their desired information quickly determine if they are going to click on your link on the results page based how attractive your description is to them versus another's.

MsNita, May 19, 2010 IP
  6. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Although some people will say the meta-description won't help in the rankings, well if that's true then it also won't hurt your site to use them, but it effects the click throughs. Especially on the SERPs Google bolds the keywords, and people are more likely to click on it, especially if you have the exact match in the title and description.

bob25, May 19, 2010 IP
  7. joshvelco

joshvelco Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta tags are a must! Use then or your site could risk being ranked for unrelated keywords.

joshvelco, May 19, 2010 IP
  8. utahseopros

utahseopros Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta keywords are no longer used by Google. The search engine doesn't take them into account at all when ranking your site in the SERPS. Google also doesn't necessarily use your exact meta description anymore. In other words, I would focus more so on your websites content than on your meta keywords.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
    utahseopros, May 19, 2010 IP
  9. 1SEONewby

1SEONewby Peon

Best Answers:
    Do-use Meta Tags- whichcontain keywords and are supported by unique related content on each page.
    Do-use Meta Descriptions - which are going to attract a viewer to your site, include your most searchable keywords in the text.
    Do not-waste your time worrying about Meta keywords, sadly these are no longer relevent. Your will get more traffic from keyword rich content on every page.

1SEONewby, May 19, 2010 IP
    utahseopros likes this.
  10. utahseopros

utahseopros Peon

Best Answers:
    Quick thought, Meta keywords still are taken into account by some of the other search engines. So it doesn't hurt to have them, just know they have no relevancy to Google as was said before :)

utahseopros, May 19, 2010 IP
  11. websitedevelopment

websitedevelopment Peon

Best Answers:
    Meta Details are not only the way to do proper on page optimization, you should go with properly all SEO techniques which are best for major search engine rankings.

websitedevelopment, May 19, 2010 IP
  12. stephenc

stephenc Peon

Best Answers:
    Google does not use the keywords meta, as most have stated.
    Google may use, emphasis on may, use the description. If your site
    is in the DMOZ, they will most likely pull it off that. Sometimes
    google quotes the description, sometimes not. To see a live
    example, do a search for digitalpoint.com, then do a search for
    internet marketing forum. Both times digitalpoint comes up, obviously,
    but each time gets a different description.

Here is google's recommendation:
    Also from google:
    Don't try and fool google. They won't fall for it most likely.

People who say the are important, are not looking at google. Google does not
    use your keyword description meta to determine rankings.

More from google:
    Stephen C

stephenc, May 19, 2010 IP
  13. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of the help :)

So I'll keep the meta name/keywords/description but am aware that the keywords are not to important.

Thanks again!

bad_bob00, May 20, 2010 IP
  14. cassandrablaire

cassandrablaire Peon

Best Answers:
    meta description is important for both search engine and users. so better include this on very pages of your site.

cassandrablaire, May 20, 2010 IP
  15. FavorMob Czar

FavorMob Czar Member

Best Answers:
    Even though Meta Keywords and Desc aren't as heavily weighted as they were before, they are still part of a good well rounded SEO strategy. Yes Google doesn't place as much importance on it as before, but Yahoo, Bing and some other search engines still factor it in. Plus it is fairly easy to do, so just do it!

FavorMob Czar, May 20, 2010 IP