1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Tip: Don't reveal the URL to your sites

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by GaGuy, May 18, 2010.

If it's just a hobby site/not-for-profit site, then that's a whole different story. I'm talking about money-making websites here. If your site is making tons of money, it is best NOT to reveal the URL link to another webmaster. Don't even tell your internet webmaster friends or real-life webmaster friends for that matter.

Why?

To avoid competition. If people take an interest in seeing the URL to your site, then it means that they want to earn money as well and will try and follow/replicate what you have done. As a result, competition is made.

Agree with me? Or disagree? If you disagree, please explain why.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
    GaGuy, May 18, 2010 IP
  2. Italianhawk

Italianhawk Member

Best Answers:
    I completely agree. Some of my competition puts a link to their sites on their DP accounts and it angers me to no end. I don't put them in here to avoid exactly that and then they go around, not only with it in their sigs but they have also opened up threads asking for help on it.

Italianhawk, May 18, 2010 IP
  3. slimjim2010

slimjim2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I can't believe all the sigs on this forum.

It's funny what some guys will do for a backlink!

slimjim2010, May 18, 2010 IP
  4. paulino007

paulino007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow...thats rather funny....but we all know that follow/replicate makes the internet go around.

paulino007, May 18, 2010 IP
  5. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    That is just plain silly. I worked in a market with a site in the top 5 of providers at the time. I seen thousands of webmasters replicate the top guying thinking some how they would become number one just because they created the site. Skill, luck and timing plays a big part. I know the link to google but does that mean I'm going to beat them if i make a search engine? People have been trying for years and they all failed.

l3vi, May 18, 2010 IP
  6. RyanJLima

RyanJLima Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally agree! In the IM forums DO NOT POST A LINK TO YOUR NICHE SITES!! PERIOD! :)

RyanJLima, May 18, 2010 IP
  7. MayaLocke

MayaLocke Peon

Best Answers:
    I completely disagree. There are plenty of opportunities in niches, this industry has grown as quickly as it has because people are willing to share what works.

MayaLocke, May 19, 2010 IP
  8. wittle

wittle Peon

Best Answers:
    I was wondering about people doing that. I had been asked for mine before but never gave them up and saw others willing too.....I don't think you should give away your niche let alone your site url! There are many that would carbon copy a site....you know...the ones who can't think for themselves!

wittle, May 19, 2010 IP
  9. canbb

canbb Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not? If one has been working for years building their market, it's not like someone can come take it away overnight. They still need to do the same work to achieve the same results. Just don't stop working and you'll be ok.

canbb, May 19, 2010 IP
  10. vannarith

vannarith Active Member

Best Answers:
    i dont agree with you. why we need to keep those secret? We should share each other idea in order that we can improve our earning! The more idea we have, the more money we get. Anyway, if your technique is good, you can sell it and however, if it is whitehat, so no way the those tips are saturate. So it is nice to share

vannarith, May 19, 2010 IP
  11. slimjim2010

slimjim2010 Peon

Best Answers:
    Another one that is funny, is the guys selling sites.

Most are new sites (easy to bump in the SERPs), & they will tell you how much they make from the site, & from which IM methods.

Since those sites are new, they don't have many pages (easy to replicate), so why would someone pay +200 for a new site, like from Flippa?

I know, I know... like they don't fudge the analytics, lol.

slimjim2010, May 19, 2010 IP